Vero Beach Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McCainiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
How have they been this year? I know from year to year the sand shifts around and site conditions change.

This past Monday it looked very clear in Vero (I dove in Ft Pierce). Seas have kicked up so all the beaches are silted up

Are these hard to find?

Artificial Reefs
There are four artificial reefs along the beaches of Indian River County, about 200-300 feet off shore. The first, deployed in 1987 by FP&L, is located along the south beach of Vero Beach at a depth of 38 feet. The remaining three were placed in 1999 by the Indian River County Government and are located at depths of 66, 71 and 73 feet along the beach front of Vero Beach.

Found that here...

Diving and Snorkeling in Vero Beach, Sebastian, Indian River County

I don't understand the "200-300 feet off shore" statement. That puts you in 20 ft of water at the most.

The FP&L reef, at 38 fws, would require a boat. The nearest inlet is Sebastian or Ft Pierce Inlet, about 15 miles north/south respectively. Here are the coordinates, if you can figure out how to parse them. Are they in deg/min/sec or decimal format? :confused:

FWC Artificial Reefs: Indian River

I was always under the impression that the Vero reefs were slightly out of swimming range unless one was pretty hardcore. I generally dive North a little if the water is clear or wind up heading a little farther South until the water looks good.

When i lived in vero during college only the hearty life guards would swim to the reefs. I never had the strength or ability. can be done with fins and mask though, not for the weak.

Trying to get a baby sitter lined up for Sat so the wife and I can go do a couple dives over there.

Been doing some research since seeing this thread last week and quite excited about all the spots that seem to be all along the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom