Vero Beach Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good grief!!!

2 hour drive and had planned to try two dives sites. Went to Sebastian State Park inlet cove tidal pool. Got there about 2 1/2 hours before high tide so that wouldn't be an issue. The place was crawling with poeple and it seemed like a tiny place to try and dive. We decided to bypass this one as it seemed not worth it. Maybe it's better at night when so many poeple aren't there.

We headed to the Humiston Park beach. Figured there was enough there that we could see. Talk to the lifeguards first (always do this at a new place) then gear up and head out. Getting in was a bit rough... been a few months since we have been out so I forgot the easy way to get my fins on.

We tried to get out to the wreck. There were a couple boats there which looked like they were at the wreck themselves. We got about 3/4 of the way out and dropped down. At 17 ft. I had the bottom about a foot from my face finally come into view and I watched as the current pushed us about 4-5 feet in any direction. I signaled the wife to go up.

We move out a bit farther about as far out as the boats are now but we are still about 50 yards south of them. Tell the wife lets go check it out now. We drop and get to about 12 ft. and same thing, bottom is in my face when it becomes visible. We try to swim towards the wreck area and watching the bottom we are just getting thrown around all over. At this time I signal to go back up. We agree this isn't going to work as we are getting thrown around farther than what we can see and head back into the beach.

Waves were worse as we came in. Had a hard time getting out and had to help the wife out, almost had to drag her out. Sand and pebbles in everything and everywhere. Her regulator opened up wide from being filled with sand. Got showered off what we could, packed up the car, and got out of there. Spent over a hour at home getting the sand out of everything and got the regulators cleaned out to where they function again (mine was being problematic when I started washing it out).

This was our first beach dive on the Atlantic side. Have done the Gulf side with no issues. Done drift dive down out of Boynton Beach which was great. Today kicked our ass...

We are pretty new to this and I always read that the Atlantic side was much better than the Gulf. Hope it gets better than that throughout the summer. I think we are hitting a nice relaxing springs next time out. :hehheh:

We've all had days like that and it sucks! I did a night dive offshore of Stuart on the Six Mile Reef with SIX INCHES of visibility. Never again. I think its the kind of thing that happens once and you live and learn. As for shore diving the east coast of Florida, I wont go out unless I can see the reef lines from shore. If you can see the blotchy patterns out there, then you know the visibility is as least as good as the depth of the water. Thursday and Friday off of Stuart was top to bottom but with the swell action, that will fade quick. Here are a few pictures from bathtub on Thursday

Attachments

• PICT0103.jpg
    PICT0103.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 119
  • PICT0113.jpg
    PICT0113.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 123
  • PICT0118.jpg
    PICT0118.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 115
  • PICT0132.jpg
    PICT0132.jpg