Verifying dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read that France is rare in that diving there is way more regulated than elsewhere. Over here, Quebec is the only place that requires something from the government in addition to your cert. card (some kind of test I think--probably just a way to make $).
When I went on holidays in Malta, Spain and Canary Islands both dives centres wanted to see a cert.

They made me fill the health questionnaire and asked a physician certificate when I ticked that I was asthmatic (this also happened in Thailand)

I've read that France is rare in that diving there is way more regulated than elsewhere. Over here, Quebec is the only place that requires something from the government in addition to your cert. card (some kind of test I think--probably just a way to make $).
I can confirm that France is over-regulated; besides what I mentioned before, they sometimes even require divers to be registered with one of the national agencies. And, by the way, I think Quebec is the most "French" territory over there, isn't it? It mustn't be a coincidence :)

But the requiring certs is a standard really everywhere I have been, and I have heard from... So I was surprised that @Chris Stock had been asked his cert only once (again, if one dives autonomously from the shore or with a proprietary boat, it is unsurprising).

I can confirm that France is over-regulated; besides what I mentioned before, they sometimes even require divers to be registered with one of the national agencies. And, by the way, I think Quebec is the most "French" territory over there, isn't it? It mustn't be a coincidence :)

But the requiring certs is a standard really everywhere I have been, and I have heard from... So I was surprised that @Chris Stock had been asked his cert only once (again, if one dives autonomously from the shore or with a proprietary boat, it is unsurprising).
You are 100% right in the beginning, I dove independently, our own tanks, equipment, boats etc.. Only used the shop for filling the tanks with air. Later when I started to travel though, they did ask for my cert card, but it was only for Open Water, no cards for Cave, or Wreck or Deep. I was never asked for any certification that said "Chris is certified to go down xxx feet." etc... Only asked for a basic Cert card. That's the card that I finally got in the 80's so that the shop would fill my tanks.

On another note, that's crazy that France has so many rules on what an individual can do. I had not heard of that before. But I think you are right, it's just a way to make extra money! haha. Someday I will dive in France I'm sure.

Just a bit of an update on this. I stopped by my LDS yesterday, and noticed they had a QR code displayed that customers could use to verify their dives. I'd never done this, so was curious, and started to look into it.

Basically, when you scan that QR code, it uses the SSI app (or maybe the SSI website) and identifies dives that haven't been verified. So, I went to my SSI account, and looked at the logbook. I was mainly looking to see if there was a way to import a .csv file or something. There isn't, so at first glance, it looked like it was only really going to be useful for divers using Mares computers. Then I noticed a menu option below the logbook.

It said "Import Dives (Beta Access)", so I was intrigued. Turns out they are opening it up to Garmin users (via Garmin Connect) now as well as Mares. I was able to successfully import the dives done with my Garmin computer. I still don't think it's nearly as useful as other dive logging software, but if you want to have your verified dives match your actual, for whatever reason, it does work.

One thing I really don't like about it. In order to add a dive to the log (manual or via Garmin computer) you need to select a dive site. It needs to be a site that is in the SSI database, so in the cases where it didn't recognize my dive sites, I had to use something else. There appears to be a way to add them, but I'm not sure how, and didn't really care to dig into that level.

Long story short, the SSI app now allows importing from Garmin computers as well as Mares, so a step in the right direction.

Just a bit of an update on this. I stopped by my LDS yesterday, and noticed they had a QR code displayed that customers could use to verify their dives. I'd never done this, so was curious, and started to look into it.

Basically, when you scan that QR code, it uses the SSI app (or maybe the SSI website) and identifies dives that haven't been verified. So, I went to my SSI account, and looked at the logbook. I was mainly looking to see if there was a way to import a .csv file or something. There isn't, so at first glance, it looked like it was only really going to be useful for divers using Mares computers. Then I noticed a menu option below the logbook.

It said "Import Dives (Beta Access)", so I was intrigued. Turns out they are opening it up to Garmin users (via Garmin Connect) now as well as Mares. I was able to successfully import the dives done with my Garmin computer. I still don't think it's nearly as useful as other dive logging software, but if you want to have your verified dives match your actual, for whatever reason, it does work.

One thing I really don't like about it. In order to add a dive to the log (manual or via Garmin computer) you need to select a dive site. It needs to be a site that is in the SSI database, so in the cases where it didn't recognize my dive sites, I had to use something else. There appears to be a way to add them, but I'm not sure how, and didn't really care to dig into that level.

Long story short, the SSI app now allows importing from Garmin computers as well as Mares, so a step in the right direction.
Why would you care to add dives to the SSI app?

Why would you care to add dives to the SSI app?
I don’t really, but recalled there was a thread on this. I only wanted to satisfy a curiosity.

I know there are some who do use the SSI log. Up until they added support for Garmin, the log function was completely useless for me. Now, it’s still lacking, but adding support for non-Mares computers is a step in the right direction. Maybe they’ll add other manufacturers down the line as well.

I don’t really, but recalled there was a thread on this. I only wanted to satisfy a curiosity.

I know there are some who do use the SSI log. Up until they added support for Garmin, the log function was completely useless for me. Now, it’s still lacking, but adding support for non-Mares computers is a step in the right direction. Maybe they’ll add other manufacturers down the line as well.
What are the advantages of adding your dives to the SSI log?

What are the advantages of adding your dives to the SSI log?
None for me whatsoever.

However, for a new diver, who may have been certified by SSI, the log is not completely useless now, assuming they have a Garmin or Mares DC.

The only advantage I could see is for a new diver, and it’s only a minor convenience at best. If continuing education with SSI, it’s easy to show any SSI shop that you have the required number of dives to take the course. Not the only way, which is why I said it’s only a minor convenience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom