Verifying dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Real platinum or just a card?
Just these recognition awards, I wasn’t be serious. But you can still give me real platinum if you feel generous. 😂

Well with the paper log books I have since 1986 I am not about to bring them on any dive vacation or even training course. Some of them I lost in a move, some I thought I had lost I found again with my BSAC training manuals. My Suunto I have all the dives uploaded but don't access that any more on the Suunto PC app after the Suunto crapped itself.

If a dive operation can't be satisfied by the dives I have on my Shearwater logs then too bad. I don't even have the logs for over 800 dives I have done with one dive center in Cebu but the dive shop did have them all. That was they had them all till the dive center was destroyed in a recent typhoon. The dive shop manager knows I did all those dives but we would not be able to prove it anymore. Does it matter? Not really.

It is nice now to be able to upload dive logs to multiple computers both my laptop and desktop and also to the shearwater cloud.
I am taking a diving trip with a few doctors I know in Taiwan in May. No one has asked me for my certs or dive history. Just show up with them on my phone and DC at the dive center is enough.

I like claims like this.

"MASTER DIVER IS ONE OF THE MOST ELITE RATINGS IN DIVING TODAY."

Well with the paper log books I have since 1986 I am not about to bring them on any dive vacation or even training course. Some of them I lost in a move, some I thought I had lost I found again with my BSAC training manuals. My Suunto I have all the dives uploaded but don't access that any more on the Suunto PC app after the Suunto crapped itself.

If a dive operation can't be satisfied by the dives I have on my Shearwater logs then too bad. I don't even have the logs for over 800 dives I have done with one dive center in Cebu but the dive shop did have them all. That was they had them all till the dive center was destroyed in a recent typhoon. The dive shop manager knows I did all those dives but we would not be able to prove it anymore. Does it matter? Not really.
I am also a paper log book writer and have all of mine in a safe place

When I moved house last December it was a priority to make sure I transported them to avoid any possibility of losing them in the move.

Three months later I still haven't found my voltmeter :mad:

Twice is an understatement. Before I realized that GUE was a bunch of anti cuban cigars ayatollahs, and under the advise of @ginti, I planned to do fundies. Just the plane ticket in cattle class (Lord, protect me from evil) and the accommodation was 3 times SSI.
Wasn't this a thread about verifying dives? It derailed a bit :D

Well, when I suggested that program to you, it was because you look like a person who is really eager to improve and learn more. And I bet it didn't change :) But since (1) indeed, smoking is quite a problem for GUE and (2) your logistic seems a bit more complicated than I thought - I would change my suggestion into "do a course that introduces technical skills". There are many courses with many agencies (maybe even with SSI). However, you need to pay attention to the instructor - so if you want, we can discuss a bit how to evaluate one even when you still "do not know what you do not know" :)

Perhaps. However after becoming a DM after something like 70 dives one does wonder about why Dody makes so many posts where he shows that somehow he got a DM cert without being able to pass some of the required training and knowledge to be a DM. He does get quite defensive when being advised by others. It's not all a language thing. The real red flag is how did he get certified to DM with such a lacking the required skillset in the first place. OW to DM in 6 months with 70 dives. hmmmm

I like his posts for the discussions they generate though. I am not trying to be cruel but this has popped into my head about Dody

He does get quite defensive when being advised by others if the bits of advice are aggressive or sound like judgements.

Honestly, I do not recall him being defensive with me - and I am frank when I discuss with other people, always; but I just try to be nice.

I use the SSI diving app on my iPhone and I am very happy with it. I have my training material, c cards, diving logs in it. However, two things bother me. You can only verify dives in a SSI shop. They tell you to go back to your LDS. What if you no longer have a LDS because you relocated? Will you go to any SSI shop and are they supposed to let you verify your dives using the shop QR code if they don’t know you? Second thing is the fact that you cannot input c cards from other agencies. Not even like a photograph. I would hate having two diving apps for my cards and I would hate even more having physical cards. As a result, when I travel and go diving, I search first for SSI shops. Same thing when I travel and want to take an additional training course.
When you log into your SSI account, the dive shop you are affiliated with (your old one) will have their QR code on the home page. You can log into your computer and scan it with your phone. And ANY SSI dive pro can verify dives with their QR code. Just ask and they'll do it! :)

When you log into your SSI account, the dive shop you are affiliated with (your old one) will have their QR code on the home page. You can log into your computer and scan it with your phone. And ANY SSI dive pro can verify dives with their QR code. Just ask and they'll do it! :)
That would be brilliant. But I see only the logo. Not the QR code

That would be brilliant. But I see only the logo. Not the QR code
Hmmm....I have a QR code for mine. Bummer. Maybe the operator has to upload it? Sorry, man.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom