Veo 180 "Conservative" mode???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been playing with my Veo180 so that I have a better understanding of the different modes. When going through the "planning" mode, it shows NDLs for depths in 3m/10ft increments. When comparing the values shown on the computer with those indicated in the manual, the computer seems to be giving NDLs for the next deeper increment (roughly) rather than matching those in the book.

I had just "reset" the computer to clear all the logged dives just prior to going through this so I'm wondering if I've somehow I've put this in a more conservative mode. (I haven't found such a capability by looking through the manual though so maybe I've missed something.)

I'm not complaining about the lower NDLs because honestly I'm not stressed about having shorter dives, I'm mostly just checking to understand how the computer is doing things.

Either your computer calibration is going out or the depth sense is failing.

The computer is supposed to automatically adjust for altitude and I'm only at about 100 m where I live. I'll check tonight to see if there's something that shows it in altitude mode or not.

If it's the sensor I guess I wasted ~$100 buying a used computer. It did come with depth gauge and compass though, so not all bad. If I can't figure it out I'll drop by the LDS and have them check it over or send it back to Oceanic and eat the cost.

Thanks guys.

The depth sensor has nothing to do with the planning mode.
There is no setting for conservative biasing.
The altitude sensor could be causing something like this if it has drifted. Best bet would be to find someone near Sea level with a 180 to compare it to (I live at 4000', so I can't help you there).

They use the depth sensor for altitude, so if it thinks you are at altitude it will adjust the dive planning mode. That why they have you turn it on before you get into the water.

Is your PDC a VEO 180 NX ?
Have you checked the NITROX setting ?

Is your PDC a VEO 180 NX ?
Have you checked the NITROX setting ?
Yes, I did check the Nitrox setting, but that wouldn't reduce my NDLs, it would increase them. As I said, the computer is showing NDLs as if they were the next increment deeper (thus shorter NDLs).

They use the depth sensor for altitude, so if it thinks you are at altitude it will adjust the dive planning mode. That why they have you turn it on before you get into the water.

Are you sure about this? I have never dissected one, nor do I have accesses to the schematics but it does not make sense to me from the published specifications.

Depth accuracy is claimed +/- 1% of full scale. Full scale is claimed as 399ft, so using rounded numbers, that is +/- 3.6 psi.
Yet to determine altitude to the nearest 1000ft increment, you need to resolve pressure to something on the order of +/- 0.3 psi
Its hard to imagine the same sensor getting 10x more accurate at the extreme low end of its scale.
I assumed they have 2 pressure sensors, the altitude sensor being optimized for low pressure readings with overload protection (i.e. shutting down when water is sensed)
I could be wrong, been before and will be again....

That sounds very strange, I don't recall having the ability to changes setting like that. On my old Versa Pro but not the Veo 180. Did this one come from me?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom