Venus moved again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This morning, I found the Venus status laying face down in the b/h, on the bottom near the overhang just outside the silt bed. She was not damaged, but I don't think this was what was intended in placing here in the b/h. I moved her off the rocks to prevent damage and set her upright on in the silt bed. My logic was this would be "safe" if she gets knocked over and was the most I could do solo without the right gear.

I know several of you oysters put serious money and effort into adding something nice, sorry that it appears someone is being a dick. I was thinking on the way home, maybe we could buy a heavy patio stone (24 x 24") and use epoxy to set her on a solid foundation. Just a thought. I am game to help out if you have a plan.

I forgot to mention on our first dive Saturday we saw Venus lying on the bottom, but she was on her back and there was some damage to the arm, like she had fallen all the way down and hit the rock next to her. I have a feeling this was done intentionally, but no proof.

I agree with Doug, if she is going to stay in hole and be something for people to enjoy, she needs a permanent base of some sort.

She was in an alcove at about 20ft on the north side of the hole a few weeks ago. Most likely, she fell from there to the bottom. We should come up with a permanent fixture for her. Her base just isn't stable enough to stay upright for very long.

She should stay on the bottom, in an alcove. One should have to go to the bottom to see her.

If she sits higher in the water column and if she were to fall or be dropped by someone, it could be very dangerous.
Lets place her in the silt at the bottom under an overhang. Whoever finds the best spot and has the opportunity first should put her there and then we should leave her there!

This past Sunday, she was still at the bottom, half buried in the muck. My buddy and I moved her to a rock in the center.

I agree with the problem of her unstable base. The larger concrete/stone base attached to the current base might be the answer. Would love to bolt her to the rock down there, but my hammer drill just won't make the trip down....... :shakehead:

At least she is in a more elegant position now!

Thanks Kevin! We have been discussing the best way to keep Venus stable, and in one spot. We have discussed:
  • Securing her to the grate with a lock ~ would become impossible to remove in a short amount of time.
  • Attaching a better base ~ hard to do UW, but we could bring her up.
Basically the goal is to keep her down there, and to keep her upright.

I think she will stay in the Hole now she has been returned, but one never knows.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom