Vented hood vs non vented.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too poked a hole in the back of mine with a hot nail. Doesn't make any sense that they put them in the top of the hood -very little of my diving is done vertically.

As pointed out, it doesn't seem too good an idea for cold water (ei. 45F down to 33F). Heat loss is greatest from the head.

I've never noticed and increase in "cold head" though I don't spend a lot of time below 45 (wetsuit is too junky for it) I can't imagine a ton of water exchange is occurring though an 1/8" hole (but totally my opinion). The heat loss greatest though the head is a myth based on a flawed military experiment from the 50's See here for more: Scientists debunk myth that most heat is lost through head | Science | The Guardian Cliff's notes: Heat loss is greatest from the head IF the rest of your body is in an arctic survival suit.

Personally... Both my hoods are vented, but I wouldn't have minded having them sealed.
Diving in cold waters (28-50F) I tend to exhale through my nose, making sure that my hood is over my mask, so the air gets trapped in the hood for a slight moment of instant warmness.
Doesn't influence trim, and I'd prefer warmth over cone head any day.

Speaking of vented hoods... why are they always on top of the skull? Do they design these things for divers with poor trim?
Do you bellyflop off the back of the boat and look down the entire time that you are diving.....or do you do a giantstride and then keep your head on a swivel while under?

With a non vented hood, I just roll over and tilt my face up. Air burps out the face seals of the hood. Not a huge issue, and with my skin-in suit sealing out the majority of water, I'd rather not break the seal with extra holes.

And honestly, hoods with built in vents really don't work that well. The only vents that do work are those made with a hot nail. A DIY job. But even those vent kinda slow compared to my method of just rolling.

YMMV

I must be the only one that likes air in my hood. It is warm air! The Otter Bay Hood at 12mm thick doesn't have a cone head problem.

I must be the only one that likes air in my hood. It is warm air! The Otter Bay Hood at 12mm thick doesn't have a cone head problem.

There's two of us, at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a scubapro 5m hood and find that the vent is well set up but doesn't promote heat loss. I use it down to say 10C (50F) with no issues

Two clean small holes added to vent the hood... Coming from a family of German shoemakers, I have the following solution: Take the hood to a Shoe Repair shop. Ask the shoemaker to punch two small holes ~1/4, or 3/8"...a smaller size hole punch using the hole punching tool. You'll have two clean cut holes, no jagged cut/s that'll tear. That's it. Works great, no glue necessary.

Two clean small holes added to vent the hood... Coming from a family of German shoemakers, I have the following solution: Take the hood to a Shoe Repair shop. Ask the shoemaker to punch two small holes ~1/4, or 3/8"...a smaller size hole punch using the hole punching tool. You'll have two clean cut holes, no jagged cut/s that'll tear. That's it. Works great, no glue necessary.

Gas stove + nail = hot nail.
Hot nail + neoprene = clean holes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom