Vented hood vs non vented.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poke a few holes with a hot paper clip and they'll self seal around the edges. Same thing for booties, so they drain when you leave the water. In both cases, I'm talking about neoprene that's used in moderate-warm water temps, not frigid conditions.

I have a Whites Heat hood. It has three vents at strategic locations starting at the top of the head and proceeding toward the back of the neck. IT vents fine in all positions.

I've never used a vented hood. For years I didn't know they existed. As pointed out, it doesn't seem too good an idea for cold water (ei. 45F down to 33F). Heat loss is greatest from the head. Once in a while I get Cone Head (remember them at Shea Stadium?). I just "squash" out the bubble somehow--doesn't seem to bother my trim, mask seal (maybe it does and I just fix it?), etc. and when it does happen it's usually only a small air bubble to deal with.

Whatever you do, try the hood on first. Some hoods have a cone head no matter what, even when just trying it on. I found the Akona vented hood to have a good, natural shape and doesn't make a cone head or bubble head.

I like the idea of making your own holes. What did you use and how?

I used a piece of stainless tubing, anything around 1/8" I.D.

I ground a bevel on the end, using a bench grinder. I punched two holes near the back/rear portion of the hood.

You guys really get that much air trapped in your hoods from drysuit (and regulator exhaust? o_O) Not saying I don't believe you, but after my meager 5 dives with my drysuit I haven't found a way to burp it through the neck seal (but plenty of water has found its way in that way...). Also if you can get regulator exhaust in your hood, is the hood tight enough?

I've never had my neck seal burp gas.

You might be onto something on regulator exhaust getting into the hood. I have an Otter Bay hood (they are made to measure), it allows gas in the hood. It could be due the the thinner neoprene around the face not being a perfect fit. It seems to be a good fit, but some gas still gets in.

The Viking dry suits I dive with have a thin rubber hood. I ordered my latest with a vent. In previous hoods I've used a mask nose purge valve. Snap & glue the purge valve in place, then punch a small hole in the rubber.

The lady at my LDS always cracks jokes about her "cone head" buddy. I was worried that water would seep in and cause my head to get cold, but after using a vented hood I realized it isn't an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom