Venice yak diving, anyone interested?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry I haven't responded in a while, been on call with work and its been crazy. I think a meet and greet is a great idea, just let me know when, i'm looking forward to meeting some like minded water people! lol I have some yak diving questions to put out there later today/tonight when i get a minute.

Thanks again for the replies and the interest in this.

:confused:found a post by thedaddy that covered everything really well, many thanks to him! What is the gen opinion anchor no anchor? I have read several articles regarding this and many diff procedures regarding anchor towing the boat ect. Thedaddy's post sounds like it recommends anchor/ascent/decent line stay in one place, i have read another, i don't remember where that suggested something about an anchor and a lift bag. Anchor, drop down the anchor line then atttach your reel to anchor line and send up the anchor with a lift bag and tow your boat from there? Some more input from you more experienced yak divers would be greatly appreciated!!! Sounds like ineed to get some more leashes/tethers and work on my anchor rigging and practice,practice,practice.

Most of my diving is done in shallow water so I basically use my anchor only at the begining & end of my dive just to keep the boat from drifting. After I'm dressed, I just pull the anchor up by hand & throw it in the boat. I prefer to tow the boat with me & use it as my dive flag float. That way, when I come up, I always come up to the boat & I dont have to worry about it disappearing on me during the dive. Sometimes, when the water is bumpy, it can be a pita towing the boat around but, I still like knowing where it is at all times. I don't know about using a lift bag. That seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:
Agree with dkramer, using the lift bag and anchor sounds like a lot of work. It may be useful if you wanted to drop on a particular spot, say a wreck, after paddling out, but it seems like a lot of work to me.
On that note, I still have to get an anchor. Santa????

I agree as well with dkramer as well. I always tow the yak with me. I like the peace of mind of knowing it is with me at all times. It can be annoying if the water is a little choppy, but I think it's worth it..for me anyway. One thing I did was I attached a bungee cord to the end of my tow line which helps to absorb some of the pulling from the kayak bouncing around.

Thanks Guys!! Thats more what i had pic'd, from the start. Agreed the whole lift bag idea seemed ike overkill to me, I like to keep things simple. How about anchor rigging, i've heard the suggestion to use some form of bungee as a connection between the yak and the anchor line to keep from ripping the cleat/anchor mount out of the yak? I was looking at a 3-5lb grapppling anchor suggestions?? :D

:rofl3:

I have a mushroom anchor. If its bumby, it will bounce across the bottom. Mike has a folding anchor which digs in better. I'm sure he can jump in with the details on it. I've never used a bungee on my anchor line or reel cuz I'm too chicken. I figure that's 2 extra knots which can come loose. I've never had a problem with pulling the cleat out. I figure if it's bumpy enough to rip the cleat out, I most likely shouldn't be there. Course, I don't leave my boat on anchor for that long of a time.

I have a 4 lb folding grapple anchor that I use to anchor while I'm gearing up then put it back in the yak and tow while diving. If it gets rough and I don't feel like towing I have a 10 lb mushroom that I use for long term anchoring.

That bungee idea is very clever I'll have to add that to my tow line next time I go out. Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom