Venice yak diving, anyone interested?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be a blast!

Where would you all camp at?

There are 2 campgrounds on River Road. I'm not sure about the one, it may be just RV's but, the other one is right next to the Snook Haven. Granted, they're not right on the beach but, it's just a relatively short ride down Venice Ave. to the beach. We could arrive on Friday, camp Friday night. Dive Saturday. Camp Saturday night & dive Sunday. The campground is on the Myakka River so we could even do a river paddle.:D

Myakka River = alligators, so no dogs at campground? Especially ones that like to swim

I don't know if they allow dogs or not but I can check. I definitely would keep them out of the water though. There is a dog beach at Venice if you would want to take them on a side trip. Anywhere there is water, you're gonna run the risk of gators. I saw the biggest gator I have ever seen ( & I have been camping in the everglades) on Boca Grande beach, just around the corner from the light house. That puppy had to be at least 20 ft.

Actually, if we dive S. Brohard, it is right next to the dog beach. We could probably work a dive & dog sitting schedule.

Wonder how the fossiling is off the dog beach?? :)

Well, there is the blocks that were put down. The fish life there is growing. I had the biggest flounder I've ever seen scare the snot out of me there when he came shootin' out from under a block. Usually we don't find a lot of teeth but we do find bones.

OOOOH I'd love to do that! Pretty much all state parks that have tent camping allow dogs...is there one nearby?

There is Myakka State Park but it's not as close to the beaches. Most campgrounds allow dogs I can't imagine that the one at Snook Haven wouldn't. Plus you would have access to the Snook Haven restaraunt & I think they may even have a band on the weekend, I'll make a run out there sometime this week & check it out.

This is getting more tempting by the minute, Dana!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom