Venice Sharks tooth, urgent read please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkyAce2004

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My mom and I are driving up to Venice beach to do some shark tooth diving. I did a checkout dive up there and the instructor said it was a great location to find teeth. however she never said where exactally.

Can someone familer with the area please give me a detailed instruction of where the best beach dive location would be? I live in charlotte county so it wont be that far of a dive, but we are only doing a 1 tank dive.

Thanks!

yes. best dive is with a private dive charter company that specializes in fosselized sharks teeth, lost pirates (treasure), and lost nazis (wrecks & tech) based out of nokomis. the charter for sharks teeth is around 75 dollars for 4 hours and three tanks for the shark tooth adventure. i think the submersion excursions telephone is still nokomis 488-2257.

good luck

nah, not doin a charter. were going to do a shore dive from venice beach.

Well, not exactly urgent, but..............

From the south:

Head to Venice on I 75. Take exit 193 and head SW (coming from the south that’s a left turn) on Jacaranda. Turn right on Venice Ave. Stay on Venice Ave until after you’ve crossed the bridge to the downtown area. Turn left at the second light after the bridge (Harbor). Turn right at the 5th street (Alhambra). Park on the street as close to the dead end as possible. Be careful not to block the driveway to the condo. Keep your dive between the culverts to the south and the three pine trees to the north.

From the north:

Head to Venice on I 75. Take exit 200 (SR681) and follow it to US 41 where you'll turn left (south). Take US 41 to Business US 41 (Tamiami Trail) where you turn right. After you cross the bridge, you'll turn right on Venice Ave. Turn left at the first light (Harbor). Turn right at the 5th street (Alhambra). Park on the street as close to the dead end as possible. Be careful not to block the driveway to the condo.

yes. best dive is with a private dive charter company that specializes in fosselized sharks teeth, lost pirates (treasure), and lost nazis (wrecks & tech) based out of nokomis. the charter for sharks teeth is around 75 dollars for 4 hours and three tanks for the shark tooth adventure. i think the submersion excursions telephone is still nokomis 488-2257.

good luck

Hey bone diver. Tell me more about this guy. I called that number and talked a bit to his dad but I am looking for a few more details. What do you mean by Lost Pirates (treasure)? Does this guy have a website or anything. I couldn't find any info about him online.

From the south:

Head to Venice on I 75. Take exit 193 and head SW (coming from the south that’s a left turn) on Jacaranda. Turn right on Venice Ave. Stay on Venice Ave until after you’ve crossed the bridge to the downtown area. Turn left at the second light after the bridge (Harbor - name not well marked). Turn right at the 5th street (Alhambra).

From the north:

Head to Venice on I 75. Take exit 200 (SR681) and follow it to US 41 where you'll turn left (south). Take US 41 to Business US 41 (Tamiami Trail) where you turn right. After you cross the bridge, you'll turn right on Venice Ave. Turn left at the first light (Harbor - name not marked). Turn right at the 5th street (Alhambra).

Park on the street as close to the dead end as possible. Be careful not to block the driveway to the condo. Keep your dive between the culverts to the south and the three pine trees to the north.

Basicly look for patches of debris/rubble and this is the place to look. Also look around for larger objects on the bottom such as rocks and look here .. things tend to collect in these areas. If seaweed is present .... you just have to move it out of the way, but be on the lookout because seahorses live there :wink:
Good luck and happy hunting.
Be sure to post your trip with the date and location as the title and you may have some experienced fossil hunters show :wink:
Kim P
PS reefguys guide rocks :)

We don't need no stinkin' charters! Hey, by the way, viz was phenominal today. Got to make a 1300 lunchtime dive and it was close to 20ft.

We don't need no stinkin' charters! Hey, by the way, viz was phenominal today. Got to make a 1300 lunchtime dive and it was close to 20ft.

Jeez how long do you get for lunch? But did you find anything, that is the real question.

Jeez how long do you get for lunch? But did you find anything, that is the real question.

I only get an hour for lunch, but rarely take the 15 minute breaks most people get. So by combining lunch and breaks, I get time for a quick dive if I'm working in the area. I dive steel 72's and normally get anywhere from 95 to 105 minutes out of one. I'll dive half a tank one day, then the next time I get a chance, I'll use the other half. So from the time I park, until I'm driving away to my next call is usually 70 to 75 minutes. That includes gearing up (already have everything assembled), gearing down, rinsing equipment and a quick shower. Got it down to a science:D

Oh yeah, found the usual smattering of small teeth and one beat up 2 inch meg. I'll post a pic of the meg after I clean it up a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom