Venice Beach visibility 10 - 15 ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man,,, I'm gonna have to get there at 6am to get a parking spot!

I hope no one minds if I tag along - It will be my first dive of the year!!

Sorry, UB. Sold out :(

J/K As Walter said, the more the merrier! Looks like we've got a party going on here!

I realized this was slightly slightly OT after posting, so I cross posted to a main thread. Excuse the redundancy please, but any feedback would really be appreciated.

I think I will be heading out to Venice this weekend also, but with a twist:
I have been doing some kayaking and was thinking about challenging myself to go out a bit farther, for me anyway, to say 1000-1500 yards. I thought about heading out from Golden Beach to the Boneyard (or almost there) but wanted to get a sanity check from anyone that has done it (or could but doesn't for some reason) and why. Is there any good reason for not going that far in a 'yak?

I'm not asking to be flamed or for safety guarantees or anything, but I would really appreciate solid input based on practical experience (or at least decent second-hand info from a reliable source). I'm old enough to make my own decisions and take full responsibility, but I would like to make them with as much practical info as possible.

The main risks I see are from boat traffic - but hopefully a float that big with a large dive flag will get noticed (though probably still ignored, I know).

Note: This will be my first time diving from a kayak in salt water, so I plan to make the first dive a short one, and closer to the beach to get a feel for it. Then moving out on the second and possibly third dives.

So you probably know the drill for kayak entry + exit, right?
Just checkin' .... I've never even seen Venice beach or dove the west coast,
but do plenty of kayak diving over here, usually off Ft.Lauderdale.
Came in to briefly post something of interest to the Veince divers, spotted in one of my google news filters ...

http://www.venicegondolier.com/NewsArchive3/040506/vn9.htm

Underwater markers missing

The city of Venice is asking those who dive in the Gulf of Mexico for help.

Divers are asked not to disturb or remove markers placed on the gulf bottom as required by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.

The markers are 4-inch, white-epoxy coated, stainless steel eyebolts, placed in hard-bottom substrates to monitor underwater areas that might be affected by the Venice beach renourishment project. There are several placed in various spots offshore in approximately 12-22 feet of water.

Any diver who sees a damaged or loosened eyebolt near the Venice shoreline should call the Venice Engineering Department at 486-2626 to report the heading where it was seen.

One of these days I'll make the trip over for some shark tooth diving, and by gum I'd be curious as to whether I might need to bring the yaks.
Lemme know how it goes.

theDaddy,

There's several kayakers that do Venice beach on a regular basis. I'd keep it to AM as much as possible to avoid the afternoon showers that occur spontaneously all summer, and, as you are already aware, be alert for boaters.

2thdvr scooters out on a regular basis. Maybe shoot him a PM if he doesn't see this thread soon.

Hi Guys
I am new to the board and Moved to Florida Last May. I have been diving exacly once since we moved and really want to do more diving. I have heard and read about Venice Toothing and Need some pointers as far as the water entry and so forth. I am not as agile as I once was and with full gear on I don't walk so good. I have the directions from Walter and I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on the detailes.

Show up by 9, we'll discuss techniques and set up buddy teams. Bring your gear, at least 1 tanks, a flag, a fine mesh bag (a typical collection bag is not nearly fine enough, but a sock will work in a pinch), and a jug of fresh water. If you want to collect extremely fragile items (sand dollars, crab carapices) as well as fossils, bring a tupperware type (butter bowl) container to keep them from breaking. If you have a buddy line, bring it.

I go to the dollar store or Big Lots and get some of those mesh pencil cases. They work great for tooth bags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom