Venice Beach-Sat. 3/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone can get a hold of someone in todays group and let them know I can't make it I would appreciate it. Iwas halfway down to VB when my Mom called and said she might have to go to the hospital so I turned around. I don't have anyone's cell phone.

Thanks,
Chuck

Sorry, but I'm tied up. :( I hope everything is ok.

Finally, got near a 'puter. Sister, wife, & son ganged up on me & got me to stay through this morning.

SmokeAire, is your mother alright? Sincerely hope so.

Simon, thanks for the dives, really enjoyed diving with you. Call me anytime you need a dive buddy.

Simon & I got in 3 dives, 36 minutes, 61 minutes, & 53 minutes. Simon was killing the teeth on the 3rd dive. Seemed like every time I glanced over, he was stuffing something in his sock. Vis was, I figure, 15'-20', I'm told that's pretty good for Venice.

Someone said water temp was 69 degrees, all I know is that after about 40 minutes of bottom time, I was getting flamin' cold! I think I'm going to get a 5 mil suit, but real soon. And a hood. Definitely. fgray1 was staying nice & toasty in his 7 mil, LOL.

Walter showed up later in the day & was gearing up when I left. Very good to meet you, sir, & hope to get to dive with you at some point.

Well, on to the teeth. 1st dive I did okay, probably 10 teeth. 2nd dive, probably 2 or 3. Last dive was all Simon, I might have got 5. Another diver hit the jackpot, he brought back what I believe was a megalodon tooth. The thing was absolutely huge! Someone correct if I'm wrong but that thing was every bit of 3"-3 1/2" long!

Me and Billy did ok with the teeth. We found about 150 in all.
Nothing to big, I found some weird stuff too. Got to clean it to see what it is. I found a couple of bones but they were to big to carry around so I left them behind.
Think I'll try by the peer next time. Teeth getting scarce around Alhambra. Or maybe a bit further north. There was one guy there that collects them and sells them he goes all the time. Need to find a new place to enter.
see you guys next time.
Fred

Scubafool - Thats the right size for a meg. I found my first one day (woohoo, 18hrs of diving and I finally get one:D) and let me tell you I was making clouds clearing the silt to find it. Aside from the meg I jostled about 100 teeth, stingray stinters, ray crusher platlettes, a whale inner ear bone and some rib bones. The water today was incredible - only about the 3rd time I've seen it this georgous there and it made all the difference in the world for searching!

FGray - sounds like you ran into Buzz. Nice fella, if you talk to him long enough he'll tell you secrets to collecting :wink:

Although i have only dove the place on two occasions, i do wish i had had more tanks on saturday! We dove some pretty sparse sandy areas a little south of the stormwater pipes for the first 2 dives, but the 3rd one we moved to where Fred was and that is where i found almost all of my 60 teeth. Learnt a good thing about sand dollars, keep them in your hand, or at least dont stuff them anywhere in your suit/kit, they crumble up - didnt expect that!

The guy who hauled the meg tooth and about 600 others was an older guy, really skinny, had a yak as a flag/float and was slightly north of where we were, that is where we should have gone!!

It was a good 3 dives, around 2.5 hours underwater, cant complain, the water was good, i just keep forgetting to bring enough weight with me to stay down at that shallow depth all the time. Thanks for the buddying up Scubafool, there will be more times i am sure!

The guy with the tooth is Capn Morgan. It's not unusual for him to pull in a couple a day. Super nice guy.

ReefGuy:
The guy with the tooth is Capn Morgan. It's not unusual for him to pull in a couple a day. Super nice guy.

If he was I watch where he went. I have a kayak now and I'll have to follow him someday.
Maybe find a real big one.
Fred

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom