Venice Beach Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right? I woke up this morning and felt remarkably healthy.. maybe the fast moving clouds and east blowing wind had something to do with clearing my head. Oh, and the thunderstorms that came by last night :D

Cbulla, I can't BELIEVE that you would bail on a dive just to go to work!!! What kind of diver are you??? :wacko:

Dive didn't work out. There was a stiff rip current, whitecaps, and all of 3" vis. 1 minute dive time. Found a couple of teeth on the beach, but that's about it.

John, Brad, and Diane, it was nice to meet you, and almost nice to dive with you :D How'd it work out at Casperson?

Greetings:

ReefGuy (aka Jeff), nice meeting, and almost diving with, you too. Went over to take a look at Casperson at Brad's request, and it was a mess there too. Gear stayed in the trunk!

Sooo, I spent some time on the beach (felt like I had to, after driving 2.5 hours down). Ended up finding a 1.5x1" tooth, so at least I had some sort of treasure to bring back home with me.

Just got in about 30 minutes ago, and now am about to head out for the last day of my First Responder course.

Fun Stuff!

Unfortunately, we both managed to scare Diane away from the ocean I think. She's got her eye on sinkholes now instead.........

ReefGuy once bubbled...
Cbulla, I can't BELIEVE that you would bail on a dive just to go to work!!! What kind of diver are you??? :wacko:

Dive didn't work out. There was a stiff rip current, whitecaps, and all of 3" vis. 1 minute dive time. Found a couple of teeth on the beach, but that's about it.

John, Brad, and Diane, it was nice to meet you, and almost nice to dive with you :D How'd it work out at Casperson?

Hey Jeff, we just got in tonight....temp here is in the low 50s and raining right now.(why did we come back?) Anyways, it was great meeting you and yours along with John and the other Brad. It's too bad Mother Nature didn't allow for any diving on Wednesday. Diane and I actually did 2 boat dives on Friday with Florida West Scuba. They took us to to a spot about 1 mile out from the beach where we were trying to dive with you guys. The vis was incredible for there. It was around 30' deep, and you could see the bottom while floating on the surface! The other guys on the boat were saying it was the best visibility they had ever seen for that area. We managed to get a lot of teeth, and Diane even found a couple Megs. I seem to have a disability when it comes to finding them. I was the only one who came up Meg-less. It was so much fun that we arranged to go 2 more dives with them the next morning(Sat). Friday night, we went down to Sharkys and I enjoyed the drinks a little too much so my first dive the next morning was a little unpleasant. Diane was nervous because after dinner and drinks Friday night, we walked down to the end of the pier and watched some guys catch a 6' black tip shark.(you could see the nervousness in her face as soon as the guys said they snagged a shark) Anyways, the vis on Saturday was even better than the day before. They were saying 40' vis, but I think that was a conservative estimate. Diane managed to find another Meg...I only got smaller teeth. I also managed to find some cool Manatee ribs, along with whale bones. There were tons of starfish, squirrel fish, and we even saw two huge conchs. I got a cheap disposable underwater camera and used it on Saturday's dives. I'll try to get some pics put on here for everyone. Thanks again for coming out on Wednesday, and thanks for all the advice info you shared.

That's cool! I'm glad you guys got a couple of good dives in! I went out Sunday, and vis was around 10'. Found 231 teeth, including 6 snaggletooths. I was told that the vis Sat was 30' on the beach.

We wanted to dive on Sunday, but couldn't obviously because of flying last night.
Diane will be back down there from the Monday before Thanksgiving until the Monday after. I think she was going to do another dive or two with Florida West. I'll have to wait until next spring to dive down there. For now, I'll have to start thinking about dry suits and ice diving.:eek:

You must have found a great spot to get that many teeth. Did you get all of them in one dive?

231 teeth! Damn, thats like 100 more than my personal record! Lets hope the weather blows over this week and we get some good stuff turned up out there for this weekend. :) Ya'll middle of the week divers, save something for my wife and I this weekend :D

A good spot to check out is about a half mile south from the Alhambra entrance, and around 150-200 yards out. Lots of teeth over in that area...especially around the heavier vegetation.

Ok so when can I come down and have you take me to find some teeth. I am new to all of this but this sounds like something I would love, like a treasure hunt. I am in Palm Beach so I am only right up the road and I can be there in a flash.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom