Venice Beach Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is there any way to clean those teeth up without inflicting any damage? Very nice collection by the way!

Capt Grumby:
So is there any way to clean those teeth up with inflicting any damage? Very nice collection by the way!

If you let them soak overnight in apple cider vinegar , then the stuff attached , like barnacles and other stuff falls right off, all you will have to do is let the faucet run over it and a slight rub with a "tooth" brush and they will clean up nicely.
:D

went diving today 08/26 at Ahlambra , time in 9:39 temp 87 , vis 10 -12 feet no waves , excellent conditions in morning , time out 12:04. Managed to get 140 - 150 small ones , but, then again I was down for 144 minutes , used a 100CF, you can average 1 per minute on a clear day. :D If im not mistaken Walker uses a double setup and of course finds lots of them.

:catfight: Seems as though the ocean spit the sand back up into the pipes and covered all but a few inches of them , hooray. Mother nature is telling us not to let raw stormwater drainage directly feed into the ocean, I hope she covers it up completely. Its amazing how we allow raw fertilzer run direcltly into the ocean and wonder why we have high levels of nitrogen and dumbfounded why we have red tide. The nice green st augustine should be outlawed it requires sooo much water/ fertilizer /bug spray and other nonsense just so someone can show off thier yard like its a extension of their ego , i just know 50% of these houses around alhambra are fertilizing thier yards way too much and it goes straight into the ocean. ..oh well enough of the soapbox.

It looks like alhambra will be good this week.

There is no direct evidence linking fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides with HAB's (hazardous algae blooms/red tide).

got the ones in the first pic Fri afternoon and the others today with FL. West

Attachments

• teeth082407.JPG
    teeth082407.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 50
  • teeth082607.JPG
    teeth082607.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 50
So I dove Alhambra this weekend, and didn't do half bad, once I bought a clue about what exactly to look for.

My question, especially for Walter, 2th Divr and any other VERY expirienced MEG-Hunters out there, is this...

Alhambra seemed "picked over" and a waitress at Sharkies said that it would be better to search South of the pier. CBulla mentioned something along those lines as well. I know that it's an ancient riverbed that we are picking through, but what was it's route? Does it run the length of the shoreline in that area? Is there a reason (other than convienience) that everyone seems to dive Alhambra?

My next trip down, I want to really get into some serious finds, and I think that Alhambra may not be the best place for that. Without disclosing your own personnal "sweet spots", can anyone talk intellegently about their strategy for picking a search location??

I do Service Club Park just north of the pier.
I just seem to have my best luck there. (notice I said LUCK)
South of the pier, I haven't had much luck finding megs, but did pretty good the other day with mammal fossils at Brohard Park south of the pier.

I've never had that much good luck south of the pier. I have found megs there, but not nearly as frequently.

The only suggestion I have for "sweet spots". They move constantly, as things are unearthed and reburied. Look for areas of rubble that are about the size of the teeth you want (ie for good sized megs, look for stuff about the size of your fist). If you're looking for the big ones and the vis allows, stay around 5' above the bottom, the shapes will tend to pop out at you. Check out any triangles and "Mickey Mouse ears".

As far as I can tell, the riverbed you're referring to runs almost parallel to the shoreline today, but is closer at the public beach, gradually getting further from shore the further south you go. Typically, I come across the (bigger) stuff I'm looking for in 21'-25'.

As for the rest, I think it's just persistance. Just like with the smaller teeth, they're harder to find at first, and the more you find, the more they seem to pop out at you.

Some of the more interesting strategy is just where is there parking? Golden Beach, which is the area you'll see Florida Wests boat off of most often, has absolutely no parking to access the beach unless you can befriend a homeowner or such to allow you to pass through to dive.

Just south of the peir is where I've found my mammal fossils, as was mentioned by 2th. I must be a freak for being willing to drag a Mastadon tibia back to the beach, but I did.. found it in 13' of water.

I have yet to find anything but large shells by the peir.

Manasota Key has very nice teeth, but you've first got to be willing to walk then swim out to where they are. There are LOTS of smaller teeth on the beach there and an industrious non-diving person can make out with 200 teeth from the shell piles, EASY!

If mine need cleaning, I drop them in a solution of 50% white vinegar 50% water for around 1/2 hour that'll usually do the trick. Don't leave them too long, or the teeth will start to look "bleached".

Capt Grumby:
So is there any way to clean those teeth up without inflicting any damage? Very nice collection by the way!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom