Venice Beach Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This weekend, more teeth were found toward the north part of the area where we typically dive. Conditions were about the same both days, viz varied depending on exactly where you were from 4 - 8 feet. There is a very large area of fossils covered with various types of sea weed. If you'd like to see Seahorses and Pipefish, that's where to go, I saw both this weekend. Take your time and swim over the area slowly with your eyes peeled. Your tooth count will suffer, but it's worth it IMO. I don't usually see Barracuda at the Alhambra site, but there was a granddaddy over the sea weed yesterday. There are lots of teeth waiting to be picked up, I managed to get about 290 on the first dive and 270 on the second on Saturday. Yesterday, I only made one dive netting a mere 200. Nothing to write home about, but a respectable showing. Water is warm, I recorded 87° F for most of the dive, but shallower than about 10 feet I was showing 91° F. Careful with the wet suits, I was getting overheated with just a swim suit. Water was flat calm with no noticable current.

Walter:
This weekend, more teeth were found toward the north part of the area where we typically dive. Conditions were about the same both days, viz varied depending on exactly where you were from 4 - 8 feet. There is a very large area of fossils covered with various types of sea weed. If you'd like to see Seahorses and Pipefish, that's where to go, I saw both this weekend. Take your time and swim over the area slowly with your eyes peeled. Your tooth count will suffer, but it's worth it IMO. I don't usually see Barracuda at the Alhambra site, but there was a granddaddy over the sea weed yesterday. There are lots of teeth waiting to be picked up, I managed to get about 290 on the first dive and 270 on the second on Saturday. Yesterday, I only made one dive netting a mere 200. Nothing to write home about, but a respectable showing. Water is warm, I recorded 87° F for most of the dive, but shallower than about 10 feet I was showing 91° F. Careful with the wet suits, I was getting overheated with just a swim suit. Water was flat calm with no noticable current.

You got 290 on the first dive..wow
Hail the Shark Teeth King!!!!:god::god::god::god::god::god:
I havent count mine yet, will be lucky to get half of what you got but i seriously doubt it.

Got out with FL. West Sunday and got these

Attachments

• teeth0819072.JPG
    teeth0819072.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 75
2th divr -- Wow!!! I just might get my son to reconsider his opinion of low vis (e.g., Sugar/Mollasses barge last week) dives after I show him that pic.

I just got out of the water a little while ago from a dive at Alhambra. Vis was in the 8 to 10 ft. range out past the seaweed covered areas and more like 2 ft. above the seaweed. I think it is a combination of decaying seaweed and the scouring action of the seaweed on the bottom that cuts down on vis in those areas. I swam out to 22 ft. pretty close to high tide and it was relatively clear. Later on in the day, I think vis will start to drop. I've made several midafternoon dives this week and vis was downright poor on those days. I've got some work related stuff to attend to, but I'll be back there sometime after lunch and report again.

Vis was better than this morning. Easily 15 to 18 ft. in spots. Mostly 12 to 15. Big storms moving in.

VB was beautiful this morning. Vis was around 8 to 10 ft. Kinda slim pickings on teeth, though. Anyone else notice that, or is it just me? I think we need a storm to kick things up a bit.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom