Venice Aug 10th - to go or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning on diving Alhambra on Thursday Aug 10th. Based on the link below Manasota Beach levels are HIGH. I usually do not get effected by sinus issues but I am not sure how red tide will effect me - is it safe to swim/dive in?.

Per the article in the link I am not too worried

"Is it safe to swim during a red tide?
Yes, swimming is safe for most people. However, red tide can cause some people to suffer from skin irritation and burning eyes. Use common sense. If you are particularly susceptible to irritation from plant products, avoid red tide water. If you experience irritation, get out of the water and thoroughly wash. Do not swim among dead fish because they can be associated with harmful bacteria."

I am hoping one of the locals can tell me if diving there is worth a shot based on potential vis problems and health issues (real life experience)? Based on the marine forecast the vis should be decent.

Any feedback is appreciated.

http://research.myfwc.com/features/view_article.asp?id=12373

Wednesday morning looks better than Thursday according to forecasts. The wind's about to set up from SSW and at that point I expect to see more evidence of the bloom here. We had a bit of a kill float in yesterday, but it has been somewhat clearer today.

This afternoon the seabreeze brought in just a slight whiff. But Kay just walked in at 7:20 pm exclaiming the odor to be palpable. We're half a block from the sand.

I can't say where the water quality or human health index stands. I'm just using my eyes and nose in very qualitative measurements. Multiple reports as well as anecdotal experience points to a robust and sizeable bloom mere miles to our south and southwest. Whether it squats on us in the next few days is up to the tides and winds.

Edit to add: If I were here for the purpose, I would probably have gone in the water with the tide in the middle of the day today. This morning there were still a few floaties around... I'd have found a reason to scratch. Tonight again, I don't think I'd get in it.

Wednesday the 9th, 7:35 am; 2hr after low tide:

No visible signs. Wind is east so the nose is not informative. I'd probably dive today.
Also, forecast now is for the wind to shift during the day tomorrow. If I were planning a Thursday dive I would not be calling it off (yet.)

I'll report again this evening.

IMGP3818.jpg

skink:
Michael51 Thanks for all the updates. It is great to have your eyes and nose there to keep us up to date.

You're welcome. Now all we need is a "red tide dummy..." a young enthusiastic new diver to send out first every day. If they don't float up on the beach after 30 minutes, bellyup with milky eyes...

"Hey, let's go diving!" :D

michaelb51:
You're welcome. Now all we need is a "red tide dummy..." a young enthusiastic new diver to send out first every day. If they don't float up on the beach after 30 minutes, bellyup with milky eyes...

"Hey, let's go diving!" :D

It looks like I'll sign up to be the dummy tomorrow! :D

Thanks for the info michaelb51

Wednesday midday update... bootifull to look at. No bad smell. Mostly south wind, almost light and variable. No divers around (rare in these conditions.)

IMGP3824.jpg

Michael, thanks again for the updates!

Looks like maybe some good news:

http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/080906/tp9ch11.htm?date=080906&story=tp9ch11.htm

08/09/06
Red tide eases at the beach

ENGLEWOOD -- The on-again, off-again red tide lingering along Manasota Beach was mostly off again Tuesday.

"It's not too bad today," said Shirley Dutton, who lives on Shore View Drive on Manasota Key.

At mid-morning Tuesday, Dutton said, "I've seen quite a few people on the beach and in the water. I haven't seen any dead fish."

Wilma Katz, the vice president of the Coastal Wildlife Club, which counts and cares for sea turtles, said she had been to a number of spots that morning.

"It sure looked better," she said. "There are some dead fish, but there's certainly a lot less than the day before.

"To me, it didn't look like I'd want to go swimming, but some people were."

Red tide, a bloom of microscopic algae that typically occurs in summer along Florida's West Coast, has been creeping up the coast from Collier and Lee counties in recent weeks.

Red tide in high concentrations attacks the nervous system of fish, causing fish kills and contaminating oysters and clams. The mist from the algae also can cause watery eyes, coughing and itchy throats in humans.

Dutton said the impact has been dissipating since the weekend.

"I think Saturday was the worst day. It was better yesterday, and much better today."

John Barrett of Oyster Creek Estates noted that Charlotte County had taken down the red tide warning signs at Englewood Beach this week.

After taking his morning walk Tuesday, Barrett said, "There are no dead fish. They must have picked up the dead fish."

"The wind is blowing offshore," Barrett added, which helped conditions.

Katz said she had seen some dead fish at Caspersen Beach in Venice, but added she did not detect any red tide in the air.

One spot that seemed to be nastier than others was in Lemon Bay, especially near the Tom Adams Bridge.

"When you got near the bay, that's when you knew it was really bad," said Audrey Grant of Manasota Key.

Concentrations of red tide can move in and out of an area depending on factors such as wind, tides and water currents. Thus, it is particularly hard to predict its tendencies from one day to the next.

Still, scientists do take a stab at predictions, in rough terms.

On their Web sites Tuesday, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute reported background concentrations of red tide algae were present from the Venice Pier to Lely Barefoot Beach in Collier County.

In southern Sarasota and Charlotte counties, patchy very low to low impacts were said to be possible today, and with patchy moderate to high impacts possible this afternoon through Thursday.

Staff writer Rachel Alexander contributed to this report.

By STEPHEN BAUMANN

Englewood Editor

I don't want to jinx anything with optimism, but tomorrow could be a great dive day here. I might even busy out the phones, and go for it. SE winds and rising tide for the morning. One more update, after dinner...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom