Vandenberg Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We will be diving with SouthPoint the 2nd week in Aug. We will actually be getting our PADI Wreck Cert with them and will be diving the Vande. I'll post an update once we return.

Used to use Captains Corner, but as you've read, they're inflexible, set sched...Vandy when they go, same tired reefs when they don't...good crew, owner is great, but....

Used Subtropic two years back, different crew, was a better operator....(two good principles left at the end of last year, and have heard bad things about them ever since...may not trust them at this point until I hear better reviews.)

Tried another outfit last year, they wouldn't go out with less than 4 people, apparently they are no longer in business. No use mentioning the name in case someone buys them and keeps the name.

Was told to try Lost Reef Adventures this outing I'll let you know if I get to use them when I'm down mid-late September...

Seeing reviews "all over the place" is fairly common for any type of forum where people comment on their experiences. We dove KW/Vandy for the first time in April. We searched all reviews as well. We ended up diving with Southpoint one day and Lost Reef the next. We liked both ops. Depends on what you are looking for and peoples feedback depends on so many factors. Unless you see a majority of negatives on a particular op, you have to use your comon sense and ability to discern which reviews should effect your decision. The biggest factor, weather, will be beyond your control.

Seeing reviews "all over the place" is fairly common for any type of forum where people comment on their experiences.

Understood, but I'm used to that, having researched a number of dive ops, gear, marinas, and etc. online over the years. Although there is commonly a range of reviews, I typically find that I can still figure out who/what might suit me, personally. After reading everything available online for Key West/Vandenberg dives, it was harder to winnow and find something that looked like it would be a match. Calling around didn't really clarify it either. It sounded like perhaps the OP found the same. I appreciate everyone's input.

Blue Sparkle

Looks like I'll be diving with captains corner this Saturday. I'll report back on how it goes... Hopefully we are diving the vandenburg, weather willing.

Yes I will be the first to admit that it was a bit of a gong show diving with OP I mentioned. Nothing wrong with the crew, they were awesome but it was crowded beyond my liking and it wasnt even full ! The dive however was awesome.

I dove the Vandenberg in June with Bonsai Divers and couldn't be more enthusiastic about recommending them, especially after the runaround and inflexibility of Capt. Corner, Sub-tropic, etc. Peter runs a fast six pack, not a cattle car, so the diving is 100% tailored to the needs of the divers. My wife is a bit of a nervous diver and they were very thorough in briefing us and alleviating most of her worries and very patient with her so we had a great dive. His boat is faster, so we didn't have to show up at the dock until an hour later than the folks diving the other boats and we passed them on the way out and got to the Vandy before them. We also didn't have a fixed time limit (there was a 20 min limit for the divers on at least one of the other dive boats) for the dive but rather were able to stay down as long as our air lasted and NDL allowed.

My experience with Pete is pretty much the same.

WOW, thanks everyone. I dive all over the place and can usually sort out the forum comments that 'don't apply to me!' I was a bit unsure though about Key west since it looked like some very experienced dives had very reasonable issues on the forums. I will say to Buoyant1 (Ben) that I wrote to almost every DS and only Lost Reef has thus far responded. I will also look at Bonsai Diving. I think it would bother me to have my dive limited by the boat rather than my profile.

PS Buoyant1 I am also looking at late September. I will do the Vandenberg (hopefully) then head to Key Largo for some dives as well.

When I lived in Key West I dove with Dive Key West and dove the Vandenberg with them several times. The crew has changed since I moved two years ago, but they are a long-time stable operation and worth checking out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom