valve shut down drill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grassgreen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi Ive just been watching a video clip of an Instructor demoing the valve shut down drill, it was quite different to the way i was taught, this is how it went, interested to hear your views, comments please.

1 One handed regulator switch, to breathing short hose, clip long hose
2 close right post, purge reg, open right post.
3 close, open isolator
4 switch to long hose, close left post , purge short hose, open left post.
5 final check of all valves open.....

Ultimately, they're all just ways to practice manipulating the valves, not algorithms to deal with actual problems.

I dont like those little one handed reg switch gimmicks. your other hand should be signaling your buddy. It also saves time by breathing down the long hose vs having to purge it later.

Hi Ive just been watching a video clip of an Instructor demoing the valve shut down drill, it was quite different to the way i was taught, this is how it went, interested to hear your views, comments please.

1 One handed regulator switch, to breathing short hose, clip long hose
2 close right post, purge reg, open right post.
3 close, open isolator
4 switch to long hose, close left post , purge short hose, open left post.
5 final check of all valves open.....

Your profile confirmed by initial suspicion. IANTD has a different shutdown drill. For them it is Isolate first and then etc etc etc.That is what I was taught for my IANTD courses. That's the difference. If you had taken a GUE course you would have learnt the other version.

Think that was the idea of the one hand switch, leaves the other hand,( light) to call buddy. Also why purge it? that air will be lost, wasted, better just leave it in the hose????

Not how I was taught either, but ultimately the goal is to build muscle memory so that you know which post has which downstream devices attached to it and can identify what to close in the event of a failure.

Your profile confirmed by initial suspicion. IANTD has a different shutdown drill. For them it is Isolate first and then etc etc etc.That is what I was taught for my IANTD courses. That's the difference. If you had taken a GUE course you would have learnt the other version.

On the IANTD cave i learnt right post, close open, isolator close open, left post close open.

But on PADI Tec 40 it was right post and isolator closed at the same time, switch regs, right post open same time as left post closed, left post opene same time as isolator opened, everything two handed!!

On the IANTD cave i learnt right post, close open, isolator close open, left post close open.

Hmm. Fair enough
But on PADI Tec 40 it was right post and isolator closed at the same time, switch regs, right post open same time as left post closed, left post opene same time as isolator opened, everything two handed!!

Damn. I'm Tec40 Instructor and I haven't got my manual on this computer. I've never actually taught the course, but I'm 95% sure that method is not in the manual.

EDIT:

Found it PG119 in the tec40 manual (emphasis by me)

Gas shut down drill – on bottom, students close and reopen bothregulator valves and isolator valve, switching second stages to
stay with the open valve, within 60 seconds (if no isolator valve
for high capacity single, within 40 seconds)
a. Signal each student to perform shutdown drill, and indicate
where to start (long hose, short hose or isolator).
b. Student closes and opens all valves, one at a time beginning
with the one you indicate, and switches second stages to stay
on the open valve
c. Mix up which valve you have students start with.
d. Again, simulate an isolator with single cylinder by having
student close and immediately reopen the other (whichever
one the student has not immediately opened or closed) regulator
valve.
e. It may take more than one try to do this within 60 seconds.
f. Confirm all valves are open at end of exercise.

yeah ok it seemed to me it was the Instructors own way, more concerned with speed, she could do it really fast. and emphasis on isolating first to protect gas.
but then on the Padi Tec 45 course with different instructor he told me do it how you feel most comfortable,

yeah ok it seemed to me it was the Instructors own way, more concerned with speed, she could do it really fast. and emphasis on isolating first to protect gas.

As many others will tell you. It's quicker to shutdown the offending reg rather than isolate. You only need to Isolate if you can't identify the problem.

but then on the Padi Tec 45 course with different instructor he told me do it how you feel most comfortable,

Stick with the Cave method you learned. Neither instructor sounds like they are doing you any favours.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom