Valve removal and replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bolantej

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks,

I want to bring a pony tank to Oahu and know I have to remove the valve to bring it on the plane. Is this something I can just do with a wrench on my own, or is it a must that I go to a LDS and let them do it? Is there anything I need to put on the threads to seal it or anything?

Also, do you guys run an octo off your main tank reg as well as another off of the pony reg?

Thanks,
Jason

Just wrench it off. Put anti sieze (Dow 111 for air, Christo Lube for nitrox-O2) on the threads before re-installing.

No octo on a pony.

This may be obvious but make certain the tank is completely empty before removing the valve. Opening the valve before starting to remove it is not a bad idea. After you remove the valve, put something over/in the hole. Duct tape will do or better yet a plastic hole plug installed finger tight. When you reinstall the valve, it does not need to be really tight. Finger tight and a good snug with a wrench is all that's needed.

Okay, so is the anti-seize a MUST? What's the wrench size? Also, what I meant was an octo on the main reg, and a reg on the pony (=3 regs total), or use the pony as my second regulator (=2 regs total)?

3 regs. your pony is your back up. your octo is for your buddy. yes the anti sieze is a must. Get a big crescent wrench and give a tap. it should come loose real easy. be aware that you may need to get a vis again before it gets filled at some shops so just let them put the valve back on. Also how many times have you deployed the pony and did a safe ascent with it as practice for an OOA situation?

I would say never tighten more than hand tighten and you should be able to take it off with out a wrench as well. Herman does make a good point that should not be assumed. Drain it empty first or are you in for a surprise.

I have a similar thread and my concern is how to cover the hole. TSA's site says they WILL NOT take the time to unscrew a plug....so what do we do. Someone came up with a good idea of tape. If TSA is that dang picky....does aiding and abetting the enemy have meaning to anyone???

JimLap:
3 regs. your pony is your back up. your octo is for your buddy. yes the anti sieze is a must. Get a big crescent wrench and give a tap. it should come loose real easy. be aware that you may need to get a vis again before it gets filled at some shops so just let them put the valve back on. Also how many times have you deployed the pony and did a safe ascent with it as practice for an OOA situation?

I have not even purchased it yet. I figured it would be the same as using and octo. So, how would a shop know if I opened it in the first place, requiring a vis, if I close it up? is this a dangerous practice? Also, can I buy this anti seize stuff locally?

Thanks for the help.

Well, the tank would be totally empty, that would indicate the visual is void. It is not a good habit to get into at all, as its very easy for something (even if its just moistened air) to get into your tank and totally ruin it.

Just take the palm of your hand and tap the valve handle. That should loosen it. The valve should never be tightened too tight. Do the same to tighten it back on.

gregmontalbano:
Well, the tank would be totally empty, that would indicate the visual is void. It is not a good habit to get into at all, as its very easy for something (even if its just moistened air) to get into your tank and totally ruin it.

I am not worried about ruining the tank, as much as I am about doing it incorrectly, and getting myself into trouble on a dive. I can get another vis when I get back home, if need be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom