Valve identification / rebuild question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kb2ehj

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

I've got a valve on a 13cuf pony bottle that I think is in need of rebuild. Tank was filled at one point last year and when I checked it this year it was almost empty. Since I've never used it I know it wasn't used and I just forgot to refill it.

Since I purchased this used, I have know idea who the manufacture of the valve is. Could somebody help?

I know I could just buy a new valve and be done with it but I'd like to get a little experience from rebuilding it.

Attachments

• valve_2.jpg
    valve_2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 65
Rebuilding a valve is pretty easy. Are you friendly with one of your local shops? If so pay them a visit and ask the tech to watch/help while they do it with yours.

Yeah tore apart an old one about a year ago. Doesn't look like it's a big deal at all.

My biggest problem is figuring out who made this valve so I can get the correct parts.

It looks fairly generic.

There was a time when many valves where made by Sherwood-Selpac (Dacor, Healthways, White Stag, etc. etc). Sherwood didn't sell scuba gear under their own name at the time. It was nice because the parts in most valves were interchangeable.

I would be surprised if most valves now a day are not made by the same 2 or 3 manufacturers (and re-branded).

Actually I wonder if Sherwood still doesn't make most of the parts for many of the valves. Sherwood is a huge valve manufacturer in the oxygen and compressed gas industry.

Hi Louis,

Yeah I agree with your statements. It's funny how one or two companies make everything and then just rebrand them. LOL

I look more closely at the valve tonight and maybe do some touch up work on the photo to make it look better. Didn't look to bad on the home system but here at the office with the bright lights its hard to see it clearly.

Have you checked first to make sure its not just a very slow leak at the neck o-ring?

Honestly I have not. It has been one of those things were I noticed it was low once and said I'd worry about it later.

The only reason I'm thinking about it now is I might use the tank as source of air for the dry suit and that really is only a maybe.

I might have a fill put in it and see if the neck leaks any.

Here is a sight that gives a great exploded view of a thermo valve. Most valves are similar in design. One tip as you take the parts off, lay them out like they are here and take a photo before you start any replacement / reassembly.

Thermo Valves

Here is a sight that gives a great exploded view of a thermo valve. Most valves are similar in design. One tip as you take the parts off, lay them out like they are here and take a photo before you start any replacement / reassembly.

Thermo Valves

Yeah, I look at that picture and it looks to me like Sherwood parts.
Is it made by Sherwood?

Here is the Dive Rite web site:
Thermo Valves

valveipb2.jpg

Hi Louis,

Yeah I agree with your statements. It's funny how one or two companies make everything and then just rebrand them.

True.....
I picked up a used cylinder and the valved is clearly a Thermo. Where Thermo would usually be in the casting it reads Catalina.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom