Valve Drills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,
Wanted to get some advice on doing the valve drill for DIR-F class. I "thought" I was more flexable than the average person, but maybe I was wrong. The last few times I was in the water I was just trying to touch anything behind my head: tank, first stage, knob, anything, but I got nothing but water. I began to wonder if maybe I forgot to strap on my tank :) I am diving in cold water, so a 7 mil suit (don't have a drysuit and can't afford one right now) and single tank, I assume that it is possible to do this in a 7 mil suit? And maybe I just need to stretch more and adjust tank placement? Anyone have any tips that might make this easier?
Thanks

Jasonmh:
Hi All,
Wanted to get some advice on doing the valve drill for DIR-F class. I "thought" I was more flexable than the average person, but maybe I was wrong. The last few times I was in the water I was just trying to touch anything behind my head: tank, first stage, knob, anything, but I got nothing but water. I began to wonder if maybe I forgot to strap on my tank :) I am diving in cold water, so a 7 mil suit (don't have a drysuit and can't afford one right now) and single tank, I assume that it is possible to do this in a 7 mil suit? And maybe I just need to stretch more and adjust tank placement? Anyone have any tips that might make this easier?
Thanks
Hey Jason,

Keep your elbow close to your ear and arch your back as you reach back towards your valves. If your single tank is to low or high it can make it difficult as well. Another consideration; Are you using a STA? It can push the tank away from your body a bit and make it a tad more difficult as well.

This is a pretty good write up on stretching that might help as well. Also having your back plate properly adjusted can make a world of difference too.

Thanks for the tips Kevin. Now that I think about it, I was not arching my back and my elbow was probably flaring out quite a bit. I will try this next time, and try out the stretches. I am using an STA because the model I have requires it, but I am sure I can overcome that with more pratice and stretching. Thanks!

MaxBottomtime:
Two more things that help are reaching back with the other hand and pushing the tank up and also pushing your elbow back an extra few inches.
That sounds like it would require 3 hands. :D

Christian

headhunter:
That sounds like it would require 3 hands. :D

Not even close. Keep in mind your other hand is checking your SPG, while your other hand is tweaking your buoyancy. And the remaining hand is holding your wetnotes on which your other hand is writing "Check out this CF in action!" All while scootering of course. :11:

ABQdiver:
Hey Jason,

Keep your elbow close to your ear and arch your back as you reach back towards your valves. If your single tank is to low or high it can make it difficult as well. Another consideration; Are you using a STA? It can push the tank away from your body a bit and make it a tad more difficult as well.

This is a pretty good write up on stretching that might help as well. Also having your back plate properly adjusted can make a world of difference too.

You could also use your dome to puch back your right hand. Put your elbow against your head and sort of push it back with your head.

Keeping the elbow IN is the key here. As is tank positioning.

I drew two horizontal lines on my beloved HP130 with a paint pen so I band it up in the same place everytime. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing, but it only works if your valve is in the same place everytime...

I've needed to use this drill twice now. Its an essential skill.

---
Ken

Jasonmh:
Hi All,
Thanks
Get someone to watch you when you try it.

Hows your trim?
How close are you to reaching?

etc etc

If you lift your head and arch your back...you head should hit the valve...if not the tank is probably in the wrong position.

If you are off trim (ie drop your knees/feet) gravity will be working against you and the tank will "slide" down your back and you will not be able to reach it.

(My money will be on if you are in trim or not)

Can you do it with a 3mm suit In a pool?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom