Info Value of Masks and other factors to lower Covid-19 Risk while Traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes! Which was the point of the OP and the article it linked to. Ventilation in enclosed spaces is more important than masks, which are helpful primarily when the ventilation is poor.
I am saying this since the beginning! But two years ago only medical doctors were allowed to speak and suggest proper actions. Engineers and applied physics scientists were ignored. Even suggesting that the virus was spreading through air at significant distance in enclosed spaces was considered heresy.
And it did take months before the importance of physical methods for risk reduction was recognised.
My university, as many other ones, spent some signficant money purchasing ineffective fabric masks, with unrated filtering capability and no proper rubber seals (such as the proper seals of the high-quality FFP3 masks I was using since the beginning), but with a nice design and the University's logo.
mascherina-rossa-e-blu.jpg

And the rector suggested that all the personnel had to use them while working.
I protested, as this was just a "facade" measure. In my opinion it had been better to spend this money in ventilation units, or in FFP3 masks, or possibly in both, together with a short video course on how to wear and to seal the masks properly.
Of course there were no scientific data available, so my voice remained unheard...

But now we have proper data (the paper in the first post is excellent), so I hope that finally money will be spent where it is more effective, and not just for appearance.

I cannot for the life of me understand how wearing a mask has become so political and refusing a simple and easy to implement regime to protect the people around you a badge of "freedom". I look around and see those not wearing masks in enclosed spaces and I see far more "selfish" than "freedom". Imagine if your surgeon, or OR nurses decided that to preserve their right to be free from the tyranny of the medical establishment they would no longer wear masks - the risks are low and most infections are easily treated.
The problem was not wearing masks, the problem for some people was to refuse mandatory measures, as they are against "personal freedom".
For those people anything made mandatory from authority is "unacceptable". So they are against masks, but also against the mandatory exhibition of the green pass for being served at bars and restaurants, or for the mandatory vaccination for working in public offices, schools and hospitals. Everything mandatory is "unacceptable".
If installation of efficient ventilation systems (as I was suggesting) had been made compulsory, these guys had protested also against this measure, claiming their right of staying in bad-smelling enclosed spaces.

The problem was not wearing masks, the problem for some people was to refuse mandatory measures, as they are against "personal freedom".
For those people anything made mandatory from authority is "unacceptable". So they are against masks, but also against the mandatory exhibition of the green pass for being served at bars and restaurants, or for the mandatory vaccination for working in public offices, schools and hospitals. Everything mandatory is "unacceptable".
If installation of efficient ventilation systems (as I was suggesting) had been made compulsory, these guys had protested also against this measure, claiming their right of staying in bad-smelling enclosed spaces.
It is a shame some folks demand total personal freedom....it is like a 5-year old complaining about having to go to bed. Can you imagine life without traffic controls, laws against crime, testing of drugs before they are sold, lack of food inspection, etc?

Those covid "controls" such as a green pass and vax card do nothing to stop the spread of covid. The masks are more affective than a shot at slowing the spread. That is why so many are against such asinine lipstick measures. The shot has been proven time and time again to NOT prevent carrying and spreading covid. By showing the right documents to enter an establishment only to remove the only effective (understandably minimal) measure to not spread is a fools dream for safety. Once you sit down at your table or the bar your mask is off and you're expelling potential covid breath (asymptomatically of course) to everyone around you. I would love for the shots to be as effective against these new variants as they were for alpha which they were designed for. That isn't the case. The entire white house staff with all of their boosters have now had covid. They are likely the biggest stickler to the mandates and yet they got this dreaded world killer. This is an endemic. It is no longer an emergency pandemic since it had been 2.5 years. Emergency measures need to stop and we as a world society need to shift gears and look at the long haul. Get the shot or don't. Wear a mask or don't. Those that do can take solace in their own actions to prevent their own infection. Those that don't can take solace that those who want to get the shot or wear a mask have that opportunity.

None of the measures introduced in the western world were ever designed to “prevent or stop covid”. Every health professional I know or heard from explained quite clearly that masking, social distancing etc. measures were designed to slow covid and not overwhelm the health care system while attempting to allow society to continue on as normally as possible. Only those who wanted to sow fear and division translated these measures as being targeted at preventing or stopping covid and not successful. Only a couple of places tried to “stop covid” - China comes to mind. It only worked for a while.

On the vaccine front it is unfortunate that protection does not last. Something like the flu vaccine we see every year. It also is not 100% effective at “preventing covid”. Lots of vaccines are not 100% effective - shingles for example. Not a reason for declaring them a failure.

… and I completely agree that emergency measures need to end at the appropriate time. However I am not sure that Fox “News” or any other political media outlet is the correct arbiter of when that should be.

Those covid "controls" such as a green pass and vax card do nothing to stop the spread of covid. The masks are more affective than a shot at slowing the spread. That is why so many are against such asinine lipstick measures. The shot has been proven time and time again to NOT prevent carrying and spreading covid. By showing the right documents to enter an establishment only to remove the only effective (understandably minimal) measure to not spread is a fools dream for safety. Once you sit down at your table or the bar your mask is off and you're expelling potential covid breath (asymptomatically of course) to everyone around you. I would love for the shots to be as effective against these new variants as they were for alpha which they were designed for. That isn't the case. The entire white house staff with all of their boosters have now had covid. They are likely the biggest stickler to the mandates and yet they got this dreaded world killer. This is an endemic. It is no longer an emergency pandemic since it had been 2.5 years. Emergency measures need to stop and we as a world society need to shift gears and look at the long haul. Get the shot or don't. Wear a mask or don't. Those that do can take solace in their own actions to prevent their own infection. Those that don't can take solace that those who want to get the shot or wear a mask have that opportunity.
The Green Pass is obtained by most people by a stab test in the previous 48h. It did prove to be very effective forcing a lot of people to test often and to detect infections, and to quarantine people avoiding that they go around spreading the virus.
It was also very effective "gently forcing" people to be vaccinated, this helped to reduce significantly the morbility and mortality, to the point that now, with more than 90% of people being vaccinated, and the other 10% having mostly be infected at least twice, these quantities are down by a factor of 20 of what was happening prior of mass vaccination.
The fact that the vaccine is not preventing the virus spreading is true, but it is preventing hospitalization and deaths.
If you get the virus, but it behaves just as a cold, being infected is not a big issue anymore...
So globally all these measures were effective for saving lifes and avoiding the collapse of hospitals.
Masks were probably the least-effective measure, and this is due to a number of factors:
1) They were not made mandatory immediately, instead at the beginning their efficacy was not accepted by many people, including virologists and other doctors.
2) Even when made mandatory, it was accepted to use fabric masks, surgical masks, or other DIY masks which are really a very bad protective devices. Hence people was getting the virus despite the usage of these crap masks, and people started to doubt of them. If instead FFP2 or, better, FFP3 masks were the only allowed, and selling and using less-effective masks, or wearing them improperly had been sanctioned, also masks could have been a very good barrier against spreading of the virus
3) Masks are uncomfortable (particularly the bad ones, which irritate the skin, have bad elastic bands running behind the ears instead of around the head, and to no have a soft anti-allergenic closed-cell foam seal all around their border, as only the best FFP3 masks have).
4) Masks provide that false sense of protection, so people wearing a mask did think to be allowed to enter safely in highly crowded spaces, where unmasked people were gathering.
5) Even people purchasing high quality masks and wearing them properly ofter lack the discipline to avoid temporary interruptions of their usage, to the point that I have seen some of my colleagues removing them shortly for drinking, or for clearing the nose in a napkin, which are actions which make the barrier against the virus to fall entirely.

Due to my training, I was well aware that a good mask can be a very effective personal protection device, but that this protection can be very easily be disrupted.
Hence, I gave very little priority to making the usage of masks mandatory for the general population, exactly because it is impossible to avoid that "normal" people use them with the discipline that only a firefighter or a special-corps military has.
So now Covid is almost under control, but this result was obtained mostly thanks to vaccines and to a lot of swab tests (which were done for getting the Green Pass by unvaccinated people). The usage of masks contributed only marginally to the result, and the data now available proof this.
On the other hand, I always used highly protective FFP3 masks, wearing them very carefully. I have heard of no professional working in COVID hospitals being infected when wearing properly high-quality protection devices. Instead they were infected whenever they made some error, disrupting the barrier that the PPD provides.

I agree with most of what you're saying except that our current measures are not what's getting covid under control. Covid had transformed time and time again as most viruses do to become more infectious and less lethal. Virus do not want to kill their host because they are then unable to proliferate. Omicron and its sub-variants for an average human without the shot is similar to the flu. For those with the shot it is a mild cold at best. Those with health problems in either camp are in for a ride because it could cause underlying conditions to become a problem. The only way to stop this was to not be doing gain of function testing in a country that allows less than exemplary standards.

I had not had a cold since wearing mask became mandatory in HK. Normally I have couple of mild cold every yr but.....I do not take flu shot.

I had not had a cold since wearing mask became mandatory in HK. Normally I have couple of mild cold every yr but.....I do not take flu shot.
I stopped getting the flu when I stopped getting the flu shot. I don't get sick more than an occasional stuffy nose from an unknown allergy. I also don't disinfect every surface in my house, wash my hands unnecessarily nor wear a bandaid except if the cut needs stitches. A healthy lifestyle and encouraged immune system is vastly superior to an augmented one with drugs and disinfectants.

I stopped getting the flu when I stopped getting the flu shot. I don't get sick more than an occasional stuffy nose from an unknown allergy. I also don't disinfect every surface in my house, wash my hands unnecessarily nor wear a bandaid except if the cut needs stitches. A healthy lifestyle and encouraged immune system is vastly superior to an augmented one with drugs and disinfectants.
Used no drug or disinfectants except soap. My surgical mask usually last couple of wks!
I do no any exercise at all.
Has the usage of mask stopped me from getting even the common cold? BTW, I have long passed retiring age and belong to the vulnerable group(no medication requires).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom