Votes: 2 16.7%
  • January 16th

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Both are equal

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:(

Man, this is going bad fast.....

What would you guys think of just moving it from Valhalla to somewhere else?

Somewhere else is not the problem.
The problem is that we have lost 2 maybe 3 people.
Not a problem. Do we need more? I am sure that we can get them if you continue as planned. I know a few more that that will go. Count on 2 from San antonio and 4 if we need them to complete the roster. Don't give up. this happens every time.
The others will miss out on a unique dive, as I have experienced Florida in the winter many times, and nothing is a sure thing there. I have been blown off the Oriskany 3 times, the Speigal Grove twice, and Panama City twice.
The Silo's conditions are always predictable. We won't get blown off.

Ok, Vintage, you've convinced me. I thought we wouldn't have as many people as you said.Besides, I'm still hoping for that change to dive in your huge oak barrel! I also want to see how well my Stream Air performs at a depth over 100 feet. I'll talk to Linda and see what all needs to be done.

And if you guys are looking for a February trip, i know that Lone Star is doing one, i'll get the dates to you guys in a few.

The others will miss out on a unique dive, as I have experienced Florida in the winter many times, and nothing is a sure thing there. I have been blown off the Oriskany 3 times, the Speigal Grove twice, and Panama City twice.
The Silo's conditions are always predictable. We won't get blown off.

Hopefully this trip will still take place and I am sure everyone who has had an interest in going appreciates Psiborg's efforts to make this happen either way. As you (vintagediver) have experienced in the past planning dives to Valhalla - changing the dates ultimately conflicts with other (often pre-planned) itineraries one way or another.

As far as diving in Florida... Is it a sure thing during Hurricane season as well? No. You seem to imply a trip to Florida during this time period is a crap shoot and puts people in jeopardy of being blown off ships. Would you mind expanding on this and sharing the details of your experience so we can learn from them?

Ok, Vintage, you've convinced me. I thought we wouldn't have as many people as you said.Besides, I'm still hoping for that change to dive in your huge oak barrel! I also want to see how well my Stream Air performs at a depth over 100 feet. I'll talk to Linda and see what all needs to be done.

And if you guys are looking for a February trip, i know that Lone Star is doing one, i'll get the dates to you guys in a few.

You have a Stream Air? I will bring mine. Although I will be diving my PRAM.

Winter in Florida (Fort Lauderdale, Panama City, Key West, Key Largo) is a crap shoot.
Althought better weather than the NorthEast, it is always unpredictable as far as sea conditions.
Sea conditions are always what the dive operations base their decisions on, and rightfully so.
I am saying that the odds of good weather this time of year are always in question. Hurricane season is also a crap shoot. 2 of the Oriskany dives were because of hurricanes (June and August) and the rest were because of winter weather.
I love Florida diving, but I have suffered more disappointment during the winter than during the rest of the year.

I actually have 2 Stream Airs, and they both have the Mistral nozzle in them. Picked them up from Craigslist and had Brian at VintageDoubleHose clean them up for me. I love diving them, makes me feel like James Bond! But i haven't gone below 50 feet with them, i'm curious as to how they will perform.

PRAM?

I actually have 2 Stream Airs, and they both have the Mistral nozzle in them. Picked them up from Craigslist and had Brian at VintageDoubleHose clean them up for me. I love diving them, makes me feel like James Bond! But i haven't gone below 50 feet with them, i'm curious as to how they will perform.

PRAM?

They perform great @ low pressure (1800 psi) and get better and better until you run out of air. Diving a single stage in Valhalla could be a problem if you are wearing a lot of rubber, unless you are carrying a stage or pony for inflation. If Brian built it they are as good as it gets.

PRAM = Phoenix Royal Aquamaster

It is DA Aquamaster with all the silicone parts and a Phoenix Nozzle.
The Phoenix Nozzle is a high flow balanced first stage with 3 low pressure and 3 high pressure ports. It allows for an SPG, BC inflation, and an Octo. Breaths good. I will be diving it at Valhalla. If you want to, you can try it out.

Depending on the temp, i'll only be wearing my 2 mil shorty under a 3 mil long, and i won't be wearing a BCD. When I dive with the double hoses i use an old Zeagle Ranger harness that i took the wing off of. I usually don't need any weight with only the longsuit, but i'm gonna try it out with the shorty on this weekend @ Balmorhea and see how much i should add, if any.

Ooo, i've nnver dove with a Phoenix nozzle before...isn't that cheating?:D

Depending on the temp, i'll only be wearing my 2 mil shorty under a 3 mil long, and i won't be wearing a BCD. When I dive with the double hoses i use an old Zeagle Ranger harness that i took the wing off of. I usually don't need any weight with only the longsuit, but i'm gonna try it out with the shorty on this weekend @ Balmorhea and see how much i should add, if any.

Ooo, i've nnver dove with a Phoenix nozzle before...isn't that cheating?:D

Naw, it is the latest in DIR....
Be sure to weight for an empty tank and realize that the suit will compress @110'.
BBBBRRRRRRR......60 degrees.....I hope you have a good hood. 5mm would be better.
If you are using an 80cf it will breath pretty hard for the first 1000psi.
Do you have a banjo fitting? Or do you carry a stage/bailout?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom