Votes: 2 16.7%
  • January 16th

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Both are equal

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psiborg1812

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, i think there's enough interest here in diving Valhalla that i'd like to see who can go when. Valhalla is a missile silo out south of Abilene that goes to 130 feet, has nice vis, but is cold and is an altitude dive. If this sounds like you cup of tea, let me know!

Oh, and those are the two weekends i picked because school starts for me on the 19th of January.

I may be interested. May be a long trip from Houston though.

I would love to go again. Last time I went I ended up not diving so I could help with surface support. This time I would be totally selfish and actually dive, and let someone else take care of the details. I think you need at least 10 to 12 people. I do have a portable grill I can take and help with hot dogs and stuff.

Here is a little story I wrote about it and pictures I took a few years ago when I led a trip there.

Valhalla Missile Silo

Last edited:
Um, pretty much what Debraw said in her link. I'm ok with setting up the details of the trip and planning it out, just would need to know the number of people. I would assume it is a day trip, as i don't think there is camping there and after two or three dives you've pretty much seen everything.

I'll talk with the folks at Family Scuba and tell ya'll the info!

I would like to join you if possible, either weekend. The diving around Amarillo is, well lets say limited.

i'm quite interested in valhalla, but i must say that i'm a new diver.. is this something for experienced divers only? me and my dive buddies have been looking for every opportunity out there to gain experience and also to learn and dive with more experienced divers. Also it's just another excuse to get out there and get wet with scuba gear haha

I've never dove it before so someone else should be able to give you a more solid answer. From what I read about the site, as long as you dive within your training and have a grip on your buoyancy, I'm guessing you won't have a problem. Ex. Don't plan on seeing the bottom. Stay above 60 feet if that is what your cert specifies and no need to go that deep unless you are comfortable, etc.. etc.. Of course, I may have this wrong and I am sure others will be around shortly to point that out. :)

You will also be diving in fairly cool water so you would want all the appropriate gear.

Yes it is cold, 60 degrees.
Not bad in a 5mm, cold water hood, and gloves. Drysuit would be better.
It is deep, expect to see 104 to 110.
It is disorienting if you try to make a free descent off of the downline. Stay on the line.
It is easy to find your way if you remain against the wall and guage yor ascent from it or watch your guages closely.
A good dive is a steady descent down the line to 100' for 12 to 15 min. Over to the wall for an ascent to the launch control @55' for 10min, then safety stop @15 for 5-7 min. under the platform. The water is 100' vis but there is nothing to reflect your lights until you reach bottom. It might as well be a night dive. On the way up the platform is visable from the bottom. Very cool and different dive. Be in good shape, there is a lot of stairs to climb.
You can camp in the control room. It is a constant temp. Not very scenic in there. I prefer to stay in town and dive both days. 2 dives on Sat. and 1 Sun. Many people camp out and dive at night. Its a slumber party!
I'm in. Are you doing this through a LDS? I believe there is insurance involved. If not, I am sure one would be glad to pick it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom