Votes: 2 16.7%
  • January 16th

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Both are equal

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can handle deep, dark, coldwater diving in heavy suit, gloves, hood, weights, yes this is a great dive. Maybe you could get a AOW instructor to help you with a deep dive as part of Advanced training? Might be a good idea to have an experienced diver along to stay with you. Trust me it can't hurt.

Here's what I know from the trip we ran last year. You can camp on site, either above ground or under it. In January I'd think that most people will chose to stay in the control room which is at a constant 68-72*F. Vintagediver's advice is really good and will make diving the silo a lot easier and fun. Diving is allowed 24 hours a day as long as a dive trip leader is present on the platform while diving is in progress. A dive trip leader must be an insured and current professional diver authorized to be a trip leader by the shop sponsoring the trip.

Mark (owner of Family Scuba) is a good guy and really went out of his way to help us out on the trip we led.

Yes it is cold, 60 degrees.
Not bad in a 5mm, cold water hood, and gloves. Drysuit would be better.
It is deep, expect to see 104 to 110.
It is disorienting if you try to make a free descent off of the downline. Stay on the line.
It is easy to find your way if you remain against the wall and guage yor ascent from it or watch your guages closely.
A good dive is a steady descent down the line to 100' for 12 to 15 min. Over to the wall for an ascent to the launch control @55' for 10min, then safety stop @15 for 5-7 min. under the platform. The water is 100' vis but there is nothing to reflect your lights until you reach bottom. It might as well be a night dive. On the way up the platform is visable from the bottom. Very cool and different dive. Be in good shape, there is a lot of stairs to climb.
You can camp in the control room. It is a constant temp. Not very scenic in there. I prefer to stay in town and dive both days. 2 dives on Sat. and 1 Sun. Many people camp out and dive at night. Its a slumber party!
I'm in. Are you doing this through a LDS? I believe there is insurance involved. If not, I am sure one would be glad to pick it up.

No, i'm not doing this through a LDS, i didn't know that was a requirement. What shops do you guys recommend i contact?

Contact Mark at Family Scuba directly and ask him to help you locate a shop that might either be considering a trip or already has one planned for that weekend. You really need at least 10 to 12 divers.

The Silo is way cool.... I've done 5 dives there before.
Watch for Rattle Snakes anytime of year. They live down there during the Winter.
I suggest you bring one home with you... they make a great pair of boots or a couple of cool Guitar straps or belts.

Check out my pics from my last trip out there at this link.
and click on the Valhalla Missile Silo set.
I don't suggest trying it but there is a passage that goes from side to side under the debris pile on the bottom.... sort of scary stuff but it was fun

Flickr: Dynamicpoise's Photostream

Ahhh jeez Frank we know you didn't really want to show us pictures of the Valhalla Silo you just wanted to show us pictures of your pistol......

Well, i've emailed Family Scuba, they haven't gotten back to me yet. I think there's a large enough group who want to go, i'm going to see if anybody from my university would like to go as well, but really i just need to contact a dive shop to see if they want to sponsor it.

Can we bring bottle rockets to shoot off from the blast doors at the top?
:D

Can we bring bottle rockets to shoot off from the blast doors at the top?
:D

A fire there would be out of control as soon as it started and I don,t think the wind generator folks would be too pleased.
Does your school have a scuba course? If so a club or dive shop affiliated?
If not ask Oak Hill in Austin. I went with them last year. Maybe they would be interested again. If not I can ask some of the locals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom