Question Vaccines for Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely take Typhoid vaccine orally. I also got the Hepatitis A. Hepatitis B is not necessary. Polio has almost been eradicated from the world, so I doubt you'd need that. I've heard that the malaria prophylaxis treatment can react weirdly with diving, like psychologically, weird dreams, messes up your brain. I have no personal experience with this...just what I've heard. So I've never taken it.

I'm a mosquito magnet, too, and I wear a lot of mosquito repellent and permethrin treated clothing, stay in the air-conditioning at dawn and dusk, and travel with a small fan. I place the fan on the table when I'm eating to keep them at bay. Air movement helps to keep them out of your face while you're eating.

For good measure, it would be a good idea to get your vaccines at intervals before your trip so you don't have any adverse effects of mixing all those vaccines into your body at once. Also, if you happen to have an allergic reaction to a vaccine, you can pinpoint which one it is if you've only done them one at a time.
I disagree on hepatitis B. The HBV vaccine is easily available and could prevent what could be a life-threatening condition as those with HBV are hundreds of times more likely to develop hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer). The problem you will be facing is not only the possibility of getting cut or abraded and you do not know what the object that has cut you has been contaminated with and given that HBV is endemic to this area, you are much more likely to encounter it than you would in a non-endemic area. You also have the problem of contaminated sharps such as needles/syringes, scalpels etc. which in a developed health care setting would not be an issue as everything should be sterile, but you do not know the standards of health care where you might be treated. If anyone in your group may be gay or bisexual (and you may not know this as they may be in the closet), then they should definitely be vaccinated for HBV. You may also be at high risk if you should need a blood transfusion.

Typhoid (I know someone who has had this recently in Bali), Heps, Tdap or Td, covid, flu and I do not take anti-malarial drugs. I just cover up or use local herbal spray that works great when at land based resorts but it's never needed on Liveaboards. We have been to Indonesia more than 10 times since the beginning of the Pandemic and every trip someone gets Covid so I would recommend this if you are traveling but it's up to you.

My understanding is that the Dengue vaccine is no longer available as it was discontinued by the company because of low demand.
It is readily available in Germany under the name Qdenga. It is produced by Takeda. You could always get it by using an international pharmacy. Dengue fever numbers are rising quite alarmingly also in regions that did not have any cases a few years back.

Polio has almost been eradicated from the world, so I doubt you'd need that.
And in order to keep numbers low everyone should be vaccinated. The vaccine does not have many side effects to be concerned about drug safety. We administer it as a quadruple shot with Tetanus, Pertussis and Diphteria!

Typhoid (I know someone who has had this recently in Bali), Heps, Tdap or Td, covid, flu and I do not take anti-malarial drugs. I just cover up or use local herbal spray that works great when at land based resorts but it's never needed on Liveaboards. We have been to Indonesia more than 10 times since the beginning of the Pandemic and every trip someone gets Covid so I would recommend this if you are traveling but it's up to you.

I was triple vaccinated with COVID vaccine in Australia, but I caught COVID 3 different times, all from trips to Bali.

I work in the mining industry in Australia, and every worker had to be vaccinated. But this didn't prevent infection or reduce symptoms whatsoever, and simultaneously, thousands of mining workers were all infected with COVID.

After my trip from Bali, I tested positive for COVID at work and was put into 7 days isolation, but in fact there was over 200 workers at the mining camp I was staying at, infected with COVID, isolated & confined to their rooms, all of them were triple vaccinated.

Measles vaccination IMO is most important vaccine in Bali, as over recent years there's been numerous cases of measles infection from returning Australian travellers.

Besides bringing Pepto and plenty of Deet (at least a 40%)....bring an Antibiotic like amoxicillin...this comes from someone who has been in Raja Ampat all over Sulawesi at least 21 times and Bali at least 12 times....those Malaria Meds....I tried those in the early 2000's got very sick with those....Enjoy the diving it is Great!!
Amoxicillin is not effective anymore in Indonesia.
Higher percentage deet only has the effect that it last longer, not the it protects better.

I would suggest also getting some Ciprofloxacin so if or when you do get food poisoning, you have a way to treat it. Having been places where we ate Imodium like breath mints, Cipro was a savior.

Back
Top Bottom