Vacationing in South Jersey in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be vacationing in South Jersey in August and would like to try to get in a dive or two. I am PADI Rescue certified and working on my Divemaster certification. Most of my diving has been either in the local quarries in the DC area or tropical waters. After reading about Jersey wreck diving, I'm not sure if I am ready without a good buddy. Are there any shore dives that might work? A Sunday or during the week would be best. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, which shops should I contact?

Thanks

Where in South Jersey will you be and what are the dates you will be in the area. I would be more than willing to point you in the right direction but need a little more info. I work for a shop in NJ called The Scuba Connection. I also crew on a dive boat out of Pt. Pleasant NJ.

I will be vacationing in South Jersey in August and would like to try to get in a dive or two. I am PADI Rescue certified and working on my Divemaster certification. Most of my diving has been either in the local quarries in the DC area or tropical waters. After reading about Jersey wreck diving, I'm not sure if I am ready without a good buddy. Are there any shore dives that might work? A Sunday or during the week would be best. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, which shops should I contact?
Be more specific defining "South Jersey." That term can mean anything from "South Jersey" to anywhere within a very liberal radius of Cape May. Having said that I'll recommend two SOUTH Jersey shops; the only two, actually. They're both within three miles of each other. Atlantic Divers, Egg Harbor Township: Atlantic Divers - Homepage A serious dive shop with some serious dives. But they also run very safe and responsible dives, some of which are much more conservative but interesting and more in line with your experience level. Their August schedule (that you might be interested in) looks to be kinda sparse and the boat (DinaDee.com - FANTASTIC boat & crew) is in Barnegat Light (Garden State Parkway exit 63), about one hour north of the real South Jersey. The other shop is East Coast Diving Supply (Welcome to EastCoast Diving) in Northfield. They have an abundant August schedule suitable for you. A couple of the trips are with the fantastic Dina Dee, but most are with the Atlantus, berthed in Atlantic City. Good parking, good crew and easy to get to. (Do you like lobsters. REAL lobsters?)
As far as shore diving, probably not a viable option.
Temps: Surface: from 60-75. Bottom: from 70 to 50. Viz: 5'-80', usually 15-40'.
Nervous? Hire a guide/divemaster/whatever they're called. After all is said and done you'll either love it or hate it. But you will have bragging rights (if you survive).

Last edited:
Define South Jersey

I second the vote for East Coast Diving. I DM on the Atlantus so I'm a little biased.

Stone Harbor. Arriving 8/7 (Saturday) and departing 8/14 (Saturday).

Congratulations. You will be in the real South Jersey. And among the semi-Grey Poupon crowd. The Atlantus will be going to the Pet wreck Wednesday, 8/11. Departs at 9AM. Not too early; not too late. It'll take you an hour or less to get to the boat from Stone Harbor. Back to dock @ 3 or so. Home around 4. Maybe with bugs. It's a shallow, easy dive. Suitable for students and newbies, but still interesting. You can hire a guide for the most productive adventure. PM Tanked. Good luck.

Welcome to EastCoast Diving

Boat Information

Easy F106A ~ 7 Mile Island is not all the Grey Poupon crowd! Besides, Wheaton (the town) is a lovely 'burb of DC on the MD side so Wheatondiver should be right at home in the Haaa-bah. Just be sure to pack the Lilly Pulitzer, Vineyard Vines and Tory Burch and you will be fine. Also helps to have a Labrador Retriever!

But yes, another vote for the Larsen brothers (the Atlantus) and East Coast Dive Supply. Freezer is full of tog, bass, flounder and lobsters from successful trips. So bring your goodie bag and someone who knows how to prepare fresh fish or lobsters!

Wheatondiver - above all tongue in cheek. Avalon and Stone Harbor (7 Mile Island) are very nice, good beaches, recreation facilities, great food, shops. Been in Avalon for 20 years, PM if you have any questions!

Easy F106A ~ 7 Mile Island is not all the Grey Poupon crowd! Besides, Wheaton (the town) is a lovely 'burb of DC on the MD side so Wheatondiver should be right at home in the Haaa-bah. Just be sure to pack the Lilly Pulitzer, Vineyard Vines and Tory Burch and you will be fine. Also helps to have a Labrador Retriever!

But yes, another vote for the Larsen brothers (the Atlantus) and East Coast Dive Supply. Freezer is full of tog, bass, flounder and lobsters from successful trips. So bring your goodie bag and someone who knows how to prepare fresh fish or lobsters!

Wheatondiver - above all tongue in cheek. Avalon and Stone Harbor (7 Mile Island) are very nice, good beaches, recreation facilities, great food, shops. Been in Avalon for 20 years, PM if you have any questions!

Well said, Jersey. Avalon, per se, is actully the real Grey Poupon crowd. At least they were when Tom, Nicole and I hung out there.
And, Wheatondiver, if you need anything neoprene, and are looking to save unbelievable amounts on Henderson gear swing by Water Sports Store, Wetsuits, Surfboards.. In Stone Harbor, New Jersey. - you can thank me later.

Well said, Jersey. Avalon, per se, is actully the real Grey Poupon crowd. At least they were when Tom, Nicole and I hung out there.
And, Wheatondiver, if you need anything neoprene, and are looking to save unbelievable amounts on Henderson gear swing by Water Sports Store, Wetsuits, Surfboards.. In Stone Harbor, New Jersey. - you can thank me later.

Still is! :D reminds me of my old neighbors who would crack the gin open at precisely 4:00 for cocktail hour! Wetsuit World is a bargain. Even for rash guards, t-shirts, shorties. Picked up a 3/2 there great for kayaking and waverunning.

Still is! :D reminds me of my old neighbors who would crack the gin open at precisely 4:00 for cocktail hour! Wetsuit World is a bargain. Even for rash guards, t-shirts, shorties. Picked up a 3/2 there great for kayaking and waverunning.

"... crack the gin open at precisely 4:00 for cocktail hour!" Your point being? I just cracked my gin open precisely 17.6 minutes ago. On days I must show at work I crack it open at precisely 4:45. If you're making fun of my OC, "No gin for you!"
And Dow Stewart, owner, is, by far, the best person to deal with at Wetsuit World for attentive service and super deals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom