Vacationer Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segundo3000gt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys. I am going to be coming down to scottsdale to do some golfing in early march and I figured I might as well try to do some diving while I'm there. Looking at the other threads it seems like Lake Pleasant would be kind of the place to go. Can anyone give me direction? I'm a reasonably new diver so I wouldn't be looking for tech diving, just something that would allow me to get into the water and do some diving. I've got my own gear but I'd need tanks. Thanks.

Direction as in directions? If so:

From Scottsdale take the 101 West to I-17. Go north on I-17 to Happy Valley Rd. To your right as you approach Happy Valley Rd. you'll see Sport Chalet(big building) They rent tanks. There's also one on Raintree in Scottsdale if that's more convenient - www.sportchalet.com

Then back out to I-17 and continue north a few miles. You'll see a sign for Lake Pleasant Regional Park. From I-17 it will be a couple miles out to the west.(left) Info about Scorpion Bay, one of the better sites is here. From what I've read it's currently diveable since the lake level is up.

You can probably find a buddy here or check out the Scuba Specialties local dive forum bbb.scubaspecialties.com. PM Granny here, he's usually up for a dive and lives in the area. Or try Garrett - shark.byte.usa he's currently underemployed so might be up for it also. Not me, I don't even own a wetsuit.

There's also a dive boat on Lake Pleasant, the Diver Down II. Not sure what their schedule is though, last years is still posted.

by direction i guess i just mean, is that the place to go around scottsdale or is there somewhere else that would be recommended? thanks for the info on scorpion bay. i'll have to see if that will work for me. i'm assuming you can just head in from shore there?

we're probably going to be golfing at we-ko-pa. that was one we tried a few years back and liked. longbow was a cheaper alternative that was actually a really nice little course.

Lake Pleasant has the best conditions of the lakes in the area. Most of the other lakes have visibility of 5' or less...much less...

Not much diving happens in central Arizona outside of Pleasant. Most of the diving at Pleasant is shore diving. The Diver Down II takes divers out, but usually the trips are to the sheriff's docks, which can be accessed by land. They can be booked for other areas, but you need enough divers to book a trip like that. We did one to the old dam last October and they were extremely accomodating. In fact, they went out of their way to make it a good day. Scorpion Bay is definitely the better of the dive sites at the lake. Other sites are Desert Tortoise, Dirty Shirt, 10-lane boat ramp coves, and Vista Point. Check out my website for more info and photos of Lake Pleasant, including dive reports and water temps. Also let me know when you'll be in the area and we might be able to meet you there for some dives.

Lake Pleasant is the best diving in the area. The only other nearby option is Saguaro Lake and it's muddy most of the year and there's a lot of boat/jetski traffic.

A couple of courses I really like:

The 500 Club, it's 2 miles west of 1-17 on Pinnacle Peak Rd. Afternoon rates are $52/cart. And you can easily get around in a couple of hours. We've usually been able to get a time early in the week most mid-week mornings. They take reservations 3 days in advance. http://www.the500club.com/ You could play there then go get wet at Pleasant.

Another option is Papago, it's on the South Scottsdale/Phoenix border. So might be a drive if you're staying near Fountain Hills. It's an epic course that winds through the Papago Buttes. It's a city course so it's only $38. Downside is there's no chance to get on Fri-Sat-Sun. but early in the week, especially mid-late morning we usually can pick our time. They also take online reservations up to a week in advance. http://phoenix.gov/SPORTS/papago.html

btw, the weather is great here for golf now, still cool in the mornings but warm by mid-day. A couple weeks ago it was freezing all day.

Since we're giving course advise... We-ko-pa was going to be a suggestion, but I see you're already on your way... If you want a different course that the usual arizona fare, try Ocotillo in Chandler. You could probably bring your dive gear, there is lots of water (mostly scenic, not too rough). I'd also vote Grayhawk and The Boulders if you've got the deep pockets. Also, check out www.golfnow.com for some good deals on the local courses...

wow lots of great info. yeah my dad and i are looking to head down march 3-11. i was thinking that i could golf in the morning and then head diving in the afternoon or early evening. alternatively, we might not be golfing every day so i could just pick an off day. sounds like lake pleasant would be the way to go.

booth22:
I'd also vote Grayhawk and The Boulders if you've got the deep pockets.
As long as we're mentioning seriously overpriced golf courses:
Biltmore
Orange Tree
the TPC

so it sounds like i'll be golfing monday 3/5 and thursday 3/8 in the morning and then heading to the lake in the afternoon. anyone interested in going diving those afternoons? i figured i'd check here first and then check out the other local sites mentioned above. thanks guys.

also, i've got a 7/5 suit plus hood, gloves, boots. any idea what i'd need for diving the lake?

7/5 should be okay. If you have a hooded vest or 3mm shorty, I'd add that. The water is in the low 50s right now.

Back
Top Bottom