Vacation - Cozumel Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goofystan:
I was there in Feb of this year and have been several times. I am going back in August for seven days. You are quite defensive. <rant deleted>

And so are you. Look, this whole thing stemmed from your one ill-conceived remark:

"IMO go with a resort that is "all inclusive" unless you want to eat the local food YUK!"

which, irrespective of what you "really meant" was a blanket condemnation of the food on Cozumel. It was innaccurate at the very least. The rest of your opinions, well, they are your opinions and you are welcome to them. I have been to Hawaii, too, and I had a guy try to sell me a bag of weed there, for all the difference that makes (some of the "best" weed in the world is grown there; haven't you heard?); so what?

Anyway, live and let live; we obviously don't agree, but that's OK with me.

Peace,

ggunn:
I have been to Hawaii, too, and I had a guy try to sell me a bag of weed there, for all the difference that makes (some of the "best" weed in the world is grown there; haven't you heard?); so what?

Off topic but i had something really funny happen in Maui once. Nothing funnier than watching some dude driving by in a Porche, trying to sell your buddy, who happens to be a DEA agent, a bag of weed. Ah, life is full of good memories.

On topic .... Stan, it really sounds like you shouldn't vacation in Cozumel. Like ggunn, i really enjoy the experience that is Coz .... the diving, the food, the people, etc but i do agree it's not for everyone. No place is.

goofystan:
Regardless, for someone to have the impression that there is no crime and that every restuarant is the most wonderful place is ridiculus. You are making this place out to be like Hawaii boy are you mistaken...Hawaii it is not.

Well if you have such high standards maybe I should move to Houston...Sounds like there is 0 crime and all the restuarants are awesome. :1poke:

You're right...Coz is not Hawaii. In Coz you can still get a beer for a $1.50 and half dozen carne asada tacos for $5.

Granted, the tourist area of hawaii is very clean but it still has hookers and drug dealers EVERYWHERE. Not to mention a semi-hostile local population that doesn't appreciate you venturing outside the tourist zones.

ggunn:
And so are you. Look, this whole thing stemmed from your one ill-conceived remark:

"IMO go with a resort that is "all inclusive" unless you want to eat the local food YUK!"

which, irrespective of what you "really meant" was a blanket condemnation of the food on Cozumel. It was innaccurate at the very least. The rest of your opinions, well, they are your opinions and you are welcome to them. I have been to Hawaii, too, and I had a guy try to sell me a bag of weed there, for all the difference that makes (some of the "best" weed in the world is grown there; haven't you heard?); so what?

Anyway, live and let live; we obviously don't agree, but that's OK with me.

Peace,
If you read my post it states that "ANYWHERE YOU GO" there are good and bad areas/dining . Houston also has it's bad areas just like anywhere else like Hawaii. Yes, I do have high standards and will not accept less....You are painting a picture of perfection in Cozumel....Please it's a third world poor country. Yes Cozumel is nice just like other places however there are bad areas/food just like other areas as well.

goofystan:
If you read my post it states that "ANYWHERE YOU GO" there are good and bad areas/dining . Houston also has it's bad areas just like anywhere else like Hawaii. Yes, I do have high standards and will not accept less....You are painting a picture of perfection in Cozumel....Please it's a third world poor country. Yes Cozumel is nice just like other places however there are bad areas/food just like other areas as well.

Here is your post (the one that set off the controversy) in its entirety:

=======================================================================
IMO go with a resort that is "all inclusive" unless you want to eat the local food YUK! If you go to www.orbitz.com they have nice packages with hotel descriptions. I will be going back in August and staying at the Presidente..
=======================================================================

I did read your posts, every one of them; did you read mine? Nowhere did I mention any sort of "perfection". I have been going to Cozumel since 1978; I know exactly what to expect, and I accept (and love) it for what it is. Bringing your "high standards" to a developing country, you will inevitably be disappointed. If you "will not accept less" what in the world are you doing going to Cozumel? Go to Cancun; you'll be happier there.

Whatever, man, we disagree. Let it go.

A mí, me encantan la isla, el buceo, la gente y la comida. Ya dicho.

Paco:
A mí, me encantan la isla, el buceo, la gente y la comida. Ya dicho.

I got most of that, I think. You [love, are enchanted by] the island, the diving, the people and the food, right? I don't know "ya dicho".

Mi Espanol esta muy pocito, muy malo, y muy despacio.... ;^)

Yup, I love all that stuff, 'nuf said.

Goofystan . . .why not just admit you were wrong and move on. Jeez. . .its like listening to the White House when they make a mistake. "That's not what I said." Confront with source. "I was misquoted." Confront with quote. "That is out of context." Confront with context. Response: Attack the questioner.

Come on you can do it. . .repeat after me "That's what I said but that's not what I meant."

As to the defensive reaction on this segment of the board you must understand that a lot of us believe that Cozumel is the best all around diving experience in the Caribbean. You don't think so and thats okay. Your opinion is valid even though it contradicts the experience of many who have joined this discussion.

Tim Ingersoll:
Goofystan . . .why not just admit you were wrong and move on. Jeez. . .its like listening to the White House when they make a mistake. "That's not what I said." Confront with source. "I was misquoted." Confront with quote. "That is out of context." Confront with context. Response: Attack the questioner.

Come on you can do it. . .repeat after me "That's what I said but that's not what I meant."

As to the defensive reaction on this segment of the board you must understand that a lot of us believe that Cozumel is the best all around diving experience in the Caribbean. You don't think so and thats okay. Your opinion is valid even though it contradicts the experience of many who have joined this discussion.

I never said that I did not like the diving.. I think the "Diving is Great" That's why I am going back....
OK,OK, Let me see if I can do this....."Thaaaa" no, let me try again, "Thats What IIII saai" one more time "That's what I said but that's not what I meant" (lol)

Back
Top Bottom