Vacation - Cozumel Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are so many different options for hotels, resorts, condo's, even B&B's, and just as many options for dive operators. No matter what your preferences you can have a great dive vacation in Cozumel.

SamMan:
We would like to stay at a resort where we can rent jet skis and is easily accessible to dive areas we might like to try. Any ideas on resort accomodations?

Sharky60 gave some very good advice. From what you describe, it sounds like one of the southern resorts would probably suit you the best, except for the jet skis. I haven't seen those at any of them. On the other hand, all three resorts are literally 5 minute boat ride away from the best reefs in Coz, including Palancar and San Francisco. I've stayed at The Allegro and Iberostar before, and they're both pretty decent places. The rooms at the Allegro were starting to show their age last time I was there but otherwise it's a nice resort. Iberostar has nicer rooms, but the beach isn't nearly as good. The Grand is definately nicest of the three, with a great beach, rooms, and service. I'm headed there in a couple of weeks myself.

As far as diving, all three resorts have an on-site dive shop, The Allegro and The Grand are serviced by Dive Palancar, while Iberostar has Dressel Divers. I would recommend staying away from Dressel. They run huge cattleboats, and are very expensive for what you get. Dive Palancar is a much better operation, and are well suited to new as well as intermediate divers. I've gone diving with them on several trips, and in general haven't had any complaints.

We haven't stayed there in a long time but visited on cruises recently. Just be sure to dive Palancar!!!

SamMan:
Hello,

My wife and i have decided to take a vacation to Cozumel. We are just about to get our open water cert and are trying to decide on a vacation package. We would like to stay at a resort where we can rent jet skis and is easily accessible to dive areas we might like to try. Any ideas on resort accomodations?

I appreciate any advice offered.

thanks in advance,
Shawn

My wife and I just booked the worlds cheapest Vacation to Coz. We booked through Worryfreevactions.com. RT Air and 7 Nights t the Hotel Cozumel for $1133.26.

We just booked it yesterday and will be going there in July (weather permitting).

Just wanted to let you know about the deal....as the airfare alone was 1300 for 2 on American!

Good Luck and enjoy your dives!

SamMan:
Hello,

My wife and i have decided to take a vacation to Cozumel. We are just about to get our open water cert and are trying to decide on a vacation package. We would like to stay at a resort where we can rent jet skis and is easily accessible to dive areas we might like to try. Any ideas on resort accomodations?

I appreciate any advice offered.

thanks in advance,
Shawn

ggunn:
You're way off base with that one. Even the "trashy" parts of Cozumel are very safe.

I guess the US Department of State is way off as well... Here are their suggestions from the travel advisory:
Other useful precautions are:

Leave a detailed itinerary and the numbers of your passport or other citizenship documents with a friend or relative in the United States.
Bring either a U.S. passport or a certified copy of your birth certificate and current, valid photo identification.
Carry your photo identification and the name of a person to contact with you in the event of serious illness or other emergency.
Keep photocopies of your airline or other tickets and your list of traveler’s checks with you in a separate location from the originals and leave copies with someone at home.
Leave things like unnecessary credit cards and expensive jewelry at home.
Take travelers checks, not cash.
Use a money belt or concealed pouch for passport, cash and other valuables.
Do not bring firearms or ammunition into Mexico without written permission from the Mexican government.

I really appreciate all your advice. It will definately make my decision easier. Since we are new divers i do hope to have a safe trip and want to book a dive op with a DM that is patient and safty concious.

Thanks again all,

Shawn

goofystan:
I guess the US Department of State is way off as well... Here are their suggestions from the travel advisory:
Other useful precautions are:

Leave a detailed itinerary and the numbers of your passport or other citizenship documents with a friend or relative in the United States.
Bring either a U.S. passport or a certified copy of your birth certificate and current, valid photo identification.
Carry your photo identification and the name of a person to contact with you in the event of serious illness or other emergency.
Keep photocopies of your airline or other tickets and your list of traveler’s checks with you in a separate location from the originals and leave copies with someone at home.
Leave things like unnecessary credit cards and expensive jewelry at home.
Take travelers checks, not cash.
Use a money belt or concealed pouch for passport, cash and other valuables.
Do not bring firearms or ammunition into Mexico without written permission from the Mexican government.

Stan,

That is the same statement that they issue for travel to ANY foreign destination...it is practical travel advice...not specific to Cozumel, or even Mexico for that matter. The point is to be prudent and not to invite criminals to prey on you.

FACT: ANY part of Cozumel is safer than most US cities, and I take exception to your implication that it is full of thieves.

I don't have a problem with you having your opinions if they are based on fact and/or personal experiences, and I can absolutley accept the fact that not everyone loves Cozumel as much as many of us, but to make a blanket judgment on Cozumel for a bad dining experience is infantile. Your remarks sound like you are basing your judgments on one single trip and one restaurant.

There are two types of vacationers...tourists or travelers.

Tourists want to visit other places to say they've been there and done that. Not only do they have no desire to experience other cultures, they completely disrespect it. They expect people to speak "American" to them, they expect people to bow down to them, and they expect everything to be "American" or like it is in "America."

Travelers on the other hand, visit other countries to experience different cultures and to learn about different cultures. They RESPECT the local people, culture, and traditions. They make an attempt to adapt thier behaviors to those appropriate to where they are. They try local cuisine and are gracious to their hosts in the foreign country.

Which category are you in?

I asked before, when was the last time you were here? I think MANY would be amazed at how much cleaner the streets are and how much better the waterfront looks. Our new Cozumel President has done more in his 3 months in office than most do their entire term.

Troll, troll, troll your boat gently down the stream. I find it hard to believe that this argument could be for real. Cozumel. . .unsafe? I have been stone drunk wandering in the "trashy parts" of Cozumel at three in the morning and never had a problem with my wallet or my jewelry (loooong story).

Christi:
Stan,

That is the same statement that they issue for travel to ANY foreign destination...it is practical travel advice...not specific to Cozumel, or even Mexico for that matter. The point is to be prudent and not to invite criminals to prey on you.

FACT: ANY part of Cozumel is safer than most US cities, and I take exception to your implication that it is full of thieves.

I don't have a problem with you having your opinions if they are based on fact and/or personal experiences, and I can absolutley accept the fact that not everyone loves Cozumel as much as many of us, but to make a blanket judgment on Cozumel for a bad dining experience is infantile. Your remarks sound like you are basing your judgments on one single trip and one restaurant.

There are two types of vacationers...tourists or travelers.

Tourists want to visit other places to say they've been there and done that. Not only do they have no desire to experience other cultures, they completely disrespect it. They expect people to speak "American" to them, they expect people to bow down to them, and they expect everything to be "American" or like it is in "America."

Travelers on the other hand, visit other countries to experience different cultures and to learn about different cultures. They RESPECT the local people, culture, and traditions. They make an attempt to adapt thier behaviors to those appropriate to where they are. They try local cuisine and are gracious to their hosts in the foreign country.

Which category are you in?

I asked before, when was the last time you were here? I think MANY would be amazed at how much cleaner the streets are and how much better the waterfront looks. Our new Cozumel President has done more in his 3 months in office than most do their entire term.

I was there in Feb of this year and have been several times. I am going back in August for seven days. You are quite defensive. Like I said before each person has their own tastes and experiences. First hand experience was Nasty, Dirty non-air conditioned restuarants (some) and being bugged by the street vendors. Not all of the dining establishments are nasty however you must admit that there are some places there that you would not eat in (or you might if your used to garbage). Your statements are full of innuendos of me making blanket statements such as "Full of Thieves" and an assumption on your part that I have been there one time. Regardless, for someone to have the impression that there is no crime and that every restuarant is the most wonderful place is ridiculus. You are making this place out to be like Hawaii boy are you mistaken...Hawaii it is not. I took my parents there in December of 2003 and my father was being followed down the street by a drug dealer trying to sell him a bag of weed. Oh, but no worries blend with the locals and buy their weed....Every place has their bad and good areas as well as crime. It is deceitful for you to create an impression of a wonderful place with no crime and no concerns to others. No matter where one is visiting they must be aware of their surroundings. Not walk around with their head in the clouds. I am a traveler and have been all over the world. Respect for the locals is not an issue with me. Nor is it an issue to learn about their culture. Maybe you should go to the middle east and put a vail over your head and follow your man from behind and accept servitude...Putting a vail over your head is exactly what you will be doing if you go to Cozumel (or any other place) with the expectation that is going to be nothing less then the Garden of Eden (impression your portraying).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom