• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

VA benefits and rebreather training and equipment

Discussion in 'Rebreather Diving' started by oldenred, Jun 5, 2017.

1. oldenred

oldenred Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I have spoken with my local dive shop and was informed that the VA will cover rebreather training and equipment. Where would be the best place to do this? I prefer closed circuit systems. Thanks

2. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I can understand why the VA would cover dive training in preparation for a career, dive instructor for instance. Why would the VA cover rebreather training, for the same purpose?

3. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    depends on which rebreather you want and what you want to do with it. Me personally? I'd go to Florida and get one of the cave instructors who's logging boat loads of hours on the thing

4. oldenred

oldenred Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Guess I wasn't specific enough. Does anyone know a specific company that goes thru the VA for yhe above mentioned training and covers the sale of equipment?

5. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

I would contact ISC and talk to Leon if you can get a hold of him. That is likely your best bet for that route.

6. 688ClassRebreather

688ClassRebreather Angel Fish

Hawaii Scuba University (Hawaii Scuba University | Professional Scuba Diver ) provides a full range of programs from Open Water up through CCR Tec 100 rebreather instructor. Many of the programs leading to professional certifications, such as Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) and TEC40 CCR Instructor, are VA approved and include all the needed gear.

Specific information about the VA-approved TEC40 Rebreather Instructor program is available here: https://www.hawaiiscubauniversity.co...aining-hawaii/

I am one of the CCR instructors at Hawaii Scuba University, and the lead for the Poseidon side of things. Please feel free to ask me any questions about the CCR courses. I am not up to speed on the administrative side including the rules on the VA programs. Those questions can be answered by email at registrar@hawaiiscubauniversity.com or by phone at 808-947-6583.

7. blac86

blac86 Banned

# of Dives: 500 - 999

Do you guys do AP? If not are you aware of a VA approved AP training center?

8. 688ClassRebreather

688ClassRebreather Angel Fish

We do not do AP right now, but we will soon. Our Inspos are on their way here.

9. CGOUGHN

CGOUGHN Angel Fish

The Dive Station/Florida Diving Institute in Orlando also accepts VA for rebreather programs. Diver level to Instructor level. They used to use Hollis Prism2's and Explorers, as well as Poseidon, but I think they are gravitating towards the DR O2ptima now.

10. Capt Jim Wyatt

Capt Jim Wyatt Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop Staff Member

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    We have had the VA cover CCR training at Rainbow Reef.