VA benefits and rebreather training and equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a friend that was seriously looking into this. He ultimately decided that it would be more fulfilling personally, and more lucrative financially, to get his GI Bill to pay for trade school. He spent 6 months in school and became a welder with a boatload of certifications in a bunch of processes and positions, and takes a couple weeks to a month off every couple months and goes and dives with no responsibility, nor personal financial burden.

I think his (paraphrased) words were, "the number of instructors without a second job that don't make poverty level wages could fit in a room the same size as you'd need to fit all the honest politicians in Washington."
A very good observation! Yes, use the money to learn a practical trade or something that will benefit you in the long term. The welding idea is good. I know in Australia there is a big shortage of aluminium and stainless welders, you can nominate you hourly rate of pay.

Well Jaysus H. Kerist...this thread is still percolating along. Listen up here you Saints and Sinners, if you use your GI benefits that you earned with no-wall sh..oops lavatories to go into diving as a profession, make sure that you are not allergic to peanut oil in the deep fat fryers that you no doubt LATER aspire to operate in your post-dive education.
IF and only IF you can add 2 + 2 = 4, or close is good enough these days, get some kind of accounting degree, and you will FOREVER be gainfully employed until you have enough to retire and work no more.
If that addi-shi-on is too difficult for you after three tries, learn English as a second language as a truly marketable and travelable skill.
Waste your GI benefits on the dive bidness - make sure you never tee your mommy off enough to make her change the locks.
I was in the military for 20 years, I was in the dive biz for 10 on the side and not on the side, and I actually retired at 48. Good luck to you all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom