UWATEC Smart Com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rossen_Vatev

Reaction score
Hi,
I have Mares M1 from a year and a half and I use it with pleasure. Now i think about buying of new air integrated com puter, but never use such kind of computers. I need an opinion of peoples who knows something about it and its alghorithm. And is
the rgbm algotithm is the better than buhlman (ZH-L8 ADT MB)?

Rossen

there is a world wide recall on them right now so you may want to rethink your choices...

"there is a world wide recall on them right now so you may want to rethink your choices..."

What is your advice, and choice?

If you're not doing Nitrox, the Aladin Air is a ridiculously reliable computer that is reasonably priced and very good.

Me personally, I'm switching from my SmartCOM to a Nitek+ w/ an SPG.

and my opinion is subjective at best, but I have the old Aladin Nitrox Pro and love it, it is now sold as the ProUltra I think and would have another in a minute. I am going to see if I can swap my SmartCom for an Air-Z-Nitrox but if not I'll keep the SmartPro for now.

On my Nitrox Pro I have several hundred dives and love everything about it, period. Please keep in mind that I have no intention of doing anything tech that could take advanage of a gas switching computer.

I have used my new Smart Com now for a dozen dives on air and Nitrox. I'm not worried about the recall, the fact they are doing this gives me some confidence they are doing the right thing and when it is replaced with a new one, that it will be right. I am still using it waiting for my return box, but I am also using a SPG and bottom timer/depth gauge as a back up, just in case. So far it has worked perfectly. It is not gas switching during a dive, but you can easily change Nitrox mixes from dive to dive and mix and match all day long. I really like all the air integration features. The pressure transducer is so sensitive, that it can measure less than a single breath of air. Using this, it somehow knows when I start to work too hard and gives me a warning to take it easy, even though my overall air consumption seems normal. It's amazing! Really like the way it tells me the remaining bottom time at current depth and workload, which will get me back to the surface with all stops with my pre-programmed level of reserve air. I think this just adds a whole additional layer of dive safety. Has an integrated IR port and comes with Smart-Trac software, so there is nothing else to buy. Regarding the recall, when I called they said they would be will to trade it even for an Air Z Nitrox. This is hoseless, but does not have all the features the Smart Com does, also uses an older decompression model, seven compartments vs. the eight and no micro-bubble. No temperature read out either. So, even given the opportunity to trade it for a more expensive unit, I am still keeping the Smart Com. The micro-bubble feature I think is really superior. I have been diving for 26 years now, and one thing I have seen is that things keep getting more conservative. As more studies are done, there is growing evidence that micro-bubble formation, even though you don't feel it (except maybe feeling tired), does cause long term damage to your body. I have kept mine set to the highest level. On single tank dives, I usually run out of air before I run out of time, so even though it has indicated some "level stops", these have cleared as I moved to shallower depths. There seems to be some confusion about how these "level stops" work, they are not decon stops, but micro-bubble suppression stops. You can ignore them, in which case the computer will just drop you to a lower setting and indicate it. Since some owners are in a panic about this recall, you might be able to pick one up from someone cheap, return it for the recall and end up with a brand new unit or a trade on an Air Z Nitrox. They are saying about a 90 day turn around or sooner. I registered a week and a half ago, and am still waiting for my return box, which should be here soon. All in all, I am so impressed with how well this works, how easy it is to use, nice large display, nice Smart-Trac software giving you an extremely detailed profile of your dive, that I am more than willing to wait for them to fix the problem and return to me a brand new Smart-Com.

Back
Top Bottom