UW camera under $40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I'm definately a photography gear snob, so to speak. I'm will not bore you with my list of STUFF that I have, but as a *semi-pro* and someone who has taught, shot, and done photography for a LONG time, here is my first UW purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7131039794&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Let's face it, I LOVE digital, but I live in Denver, which is not exactly a dive mecca. So even if I would love to plop down the cash on a high end strobe, and UW housing for my D1x (not gonna happen) this is a valid option for those of us who may get to dive *good stuff* a couple times a year.

I will upgrade I am very certain, but for now, maybe I can get the instructor to shoot my ugly mug when I'm doing AOW at the hole in March.

BTW, LP sells these things for $60, so if you are looking for a cheap UW option, this is a bit more than disposable, but it is NOT disposable, and should work well if you take the limitations into consideration.

http://www4.pbase.com/rfrank999/image/38676129/large

Ron

Hey...everyone has to start somewhere! :D

Dee:
Hey...everyone has to start somewhere! :D

Unfortunately with the digital landscape changing so fast, and my desire to buy high end, I'm gong to wait a bit.

-OR- I found the OLY 8080 for $550, and I may get that, but it's hard for me as I'd rather put the money into an SLR.

Ron

Yeah, it's something we all have had to deal with. Since I don't get to dive *good stuff* more than a couple times a year, I can't justify the price of an SLR and all the lenses and stuff that goes along with it. My 5050 was top of the P&S line when I bought it and even though there have been several newer models since then, it still serves my purposes very well. Just because there's newer models out doesn't mean the previous models stop working! I don't need the latest and greatest so I don't play the upgrade game until I really need it.

The biggest hassle I've come across is the discontinuation of housings, specifically the Olys. But they're cheap enough, I keep a spare for backup.

Dee:
Yeah, it's something we all have had to deal with. Since I don't get to dive *good stuff* more than a couple times a year, I can't justify the price of an SLR and all the lenses and stuff that goes along with it. My 5050 was top of the P&S line when I bought it and even though there have been several newer models since then, it still serves my purposes very well. Just because there's newer models out doesn't mean the previous models stop working! I don't need the latest and greatest so I don't play the upgrade game until I really need it.

The biggest hassle I've come across is the discontinuation of housings, specifically the Olys. But they're cheap enough, I keep a spare for backup.

One problem I have is that they want 5K+ for a housing for the DSLR I do have.

But Dee, There is a LOT of stuff to photograph above the water :wink:

Hey that 5050 is a nice camera. f1.8 max aperture is unheard of in a non-SLR lens. That's the nice part of digital, regardless of IF there is something better out there, that does NOT mean that the camera one has somehow takes poor photo's. As a teacher for a while, I certainly attempted to discourage gear envy.

Well, I'm Looking forward to shooting my cheap 35mm UW film camera!! I hope I can deal with the OOF images I'm bound to get, otherwise I maybe purchasing something else even if I don't use it for UW photography a lot.

Ron

RonFrank:
...But Dee, There is a LOT of stuff to photograph above the water :wink:

I know that's right! I've still got a trunk full of camera gear from my old Minolta days. Sure wish I could use all those lenses with the 5050! One of these day that just may be my excuse for a DSLR!

It's one heck of a camera for under 1K, best out there in the DSLR sub 1K class IMO. I don't have one, but am thinking about it.. but the d2x is looming....

Minolta also has come out with the 7D. Not sure if your lenses are compatable, but it looks like a good body.

Ron

Dee:
I know that's right! I've still got a trunk full of camera gear from my old Minolta days. Sure wish I could use all those lenses with the 5050! One of these day that just may be my excuse for a DSLR!

Nice option - good to have the input for people here, thanks! There's a brand called Snap Sights here in Australia that is very good...but get the one with flash that is good to 95 feet. For what they are and within their capabilities they can produce some very nice results.

One thing to also keep in mind (general statement for everyone reading this, not directed at the authors above) is that uw photography isn't as easy as some make it look. Investing a few hundred dollars now while saving for the dSLR housing etc is just that...an investment. One will be able to learn far more that is applicable to future upgrades with even a simply system than with a camera that doesn't allow you any creative control. It takes about 10 $40 cameras and processing charges to be about the same as a digital setup...but the time saved on the other end when one has the top of the line system will far outweight that!

And one should come away with some really nice results in the meantime. These cameras can also be used on land :)

IMHO - it's not the tools but the artist. calypsonick is the king of the internal strobe...he doesn't have an external; lukerob makes his Canon A series camera (an A85, I think) sing - check out those galleries and the galleries of others to see that one doesn't have to go high end to achieve beautiful results...you just have to practice!!

Whatever camera people choose, I look forward to seeing the photos and to being taken along for part of their dive!!

alcina:
One thing to also keep in mind (general statement for everyone reading this, not directed at the authors above) is that uw photography isn't as easy as some make it look. Investing a few hundred dollars now while saving for the dSLR housing etc is just that...an investment. One will be able to learn far more that is applicable to future upgrades with even a simply system than with a camera that doesn't allow you any creative control. It takes about 10 $40 cameras and processing charges to be about the same as a digital setup...but the time saved on the other end when one has the top of the line system will far outweight that!

I totally agree!

RonFrank:
Well I'm definately a photography gear snob, so to speak. I'm will not bore you with my list of STUFF that I have, but as a *semi-pro* and someone who has taught, shot, and done photography for a LONG time, here is my first UW purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7131039794&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Let's face it, I LOVE digital, but I live in Denver, which is not exactly a dive mecca. So even if I would love to plop down the cash on a high end strobe, and UW housing for my D1x (not gonna happen) this is a valid option for those of us who may get to dive *good stuff* a couple times a year.

I will upgrade I am very certain, but for now, maybe I can get the instructor to shoot my ugly mug when I'm doing AOW at the hole in March.

BTW, LP sells these things for $60, so if you are looking for a cheap UW option, this is a bit more than disposable, but it is NOT disposable, and should work well if you take the limitations into consideration.

http://www4.pbase.com/rfrank999/image/38676129/large

Ron

One problem with your camera is the min. focusing distance of 1.2 METERS! You can forget about macro shots and at that range, its backscatter city! In fact the backscattering will be worse because the particles will be a bunch of out of focus blobs! May check to see if a digital will fit in that housing.

Thinking out of the BOX. How about an U/W housing and strobe for less than $40? A friend ask to borrow an U/W camera for a family vacation to Hawaii, I told him to get his own housing. He said find me one! His camera a Sony DSC-T1 5.1mp 2.5 inch LCD, got this on Ebay. $20, shipping included, its an Ikelite Disc camera housing and a Substrobe!

Remember the 1980s Disc cameras? The camera maybe a toy but the housing is not, rated at 300 ft this 1/4 inch thick housing is tough. Even the lens port line up with the cameras lens, all that needs to be done is to make an L angle mounting plate, housing tray and relocate the shutter release (thats all the control he'll need anyway). The strobe will be mounted using an old Ikelite arm. Set on slave mode, the strobe will be fired by the cameras internal flash. He can check the flash strength during the LCD review and adjust by adding diffusers via an old Cokin fliter holder that just happen to fit. Just tested the flash, perfect exposure from 2.5 feet at f8.0. And the bonus, Sony does not use preflash!
I wonder how much I should charge him for this setup???

Got this from net:
Many digital cameras always fire a pre-flash just micro-seconds before the main flash. The pre-flash is used to set the white balance before the picture is taken. This pre-flash will also trigger any slaved external flash units, thus rendering them useless.

The following digital cameras don't fire a pre-flash to set the white balance:
Nikon Coolpix 900 series digital cameras and all Kodak, Sony, Ricoh, Fuji, Casio and Hewlett-Packard digital cameras.

The following brands determine the white balance by firing a pre-flash:
Olympus, Agfa, Epson, Nikon Coolpix 700 and 800 series models, Canon, Polaroid, Panasonic PV-SD4090, Toshiba TDR-M60 and the Pentax E1-200.

Dive Safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom