What's *your* camera bag look like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've learned that my photo bag, as much as I love it, might not be perfect for the UW gear. So I have a few questions...

I'd love to see a shot of other folks' bags packed, but even w/o photos I could use some advice.

First, my gear that I've got to get in there:

Subal 7D housing
7D
Tonkina 10-17
Dome for Tonika
60mm macro lens
flat port for macro
8 floats
8 5'arms
all them clamps
all that cleaning stuff
batteries
2 strobes
Nikonos sync cables, not the nice tiny fiber optic cables
chargers & batts
focus light

Of course I'd LOOOOOVE to fit my 100-400 lens in there so I can do wildlife photography as well (I'm going to madagascar for a month. LEMURS!) But I'm pretty sure that's a pipe dream unless I get a pelican case.

This is what I have for my wildlife set-up.
1511805067000_IMG_907417.jpg

This bag does squeeze *almost* everything in there, but it's not super organized and there's a lot of smushing and I can easily see a zipper popping on it.

I do have "checked gear phobia". I could get a pelican case and check it, but what would happen if it doesn't make it on, or gets lost or damaged? I'm assuming DAN insurance doesn't cover camera gear.

No pictures to share, but... If I were going to Madagascar, there is no chance in hell I would be leaving my 100-400 behind. When I went to the Galapagos, I took three cameras in two different bags (and that was all of my carry ons). Our luggage nearly didn't make it because of airline screw ups and fires at the Chicago ATC, but I was prepared to do the 12 day trip with one set of clothes as long as I could take all the pictures I wanted.

I think DAN does allow you to add a rider for equipment, but the normal insurance probably doesn't cover it. You should be able to get something from your home owners insurance, though.

Be VERY careful trying to shove all your camera gear in a carry-on. With more and more carriers using little regional jets, restricting carry-on size and weight, it’s entirely possible that they’ll require you to gate check your bag. In a Pelican, it’s not so much of an issue, in a camera backpack, that’s a risky proposition.

Better idea is to make a choice about the minimum you will need to take photos, say one body and one or two lenses and charger, keep it in a smaller carry-on, and check a solid Pelican and I sure the hell out of it. This ensures you will have a camera with you, no risk of needing to gate check it, and while it would suck to have other gear stolen or broken, at least monetarily it will be covered.

DAN offers additional gear insurance.

Lots of stories of lenses and other gear gone “missing” from checked baggage.

Lots of stories of lenses and other gear gone “missing” from checked baggage.

That’s why I mentioned to insure the hell out of it. One missing lens, or every piece of glass you own being smashed by a dude throwing your carry-on down the slide to another baggage handler throwing it on to the conveyer belt. Think you’re gonna take a full camera carry-on on an Emirates flight? No way José, so you’re forced to check it anyway.

The point is, you can’t always stuff everything you wish you could bring in your carry-on. However, you can hedge your bets against losing everything with a little judicious trimming of what you will bring to either maintain your stuff with you in the cabin, or prioritize stuff that you know you will be able to keep in the cabin with you, and risk the other stuff down below.

Not to mention, plenty of photographers check mountains of gear on a regular basis. Just be smart about it. I’d rather have a lens stolen than my rebreather head toasted.

No pictures to share, but... If I were going to Madagascar, there is no chance in hell I would be leaving my 100-400 behind. When I went to the Galapagos, I took three cameras in two different bags (and that was all of my carry ons).

I will gladly go naked if it means I can take all my camera gear on-board. The thing is, using my points to get to Madagascar means 4 change of planes and probably a puddle-hopper from Ethiopia to Comoros.

Maybe I could just shove a lens in each of my bra cups and make folks just think I've got a chest like Jayne Mansfield.

. With more and more carriers using little regional jets, restricting carry-on size and weight, it’s entirely possible that they’ll require you to gate check your bag. In a Pelican, it’s not so much of an issue, in a camera backpack, that’s a risky proposition.

Yeah, and to be able to use my points to fly to madacascar, I've got to change planes 4 times. and I'm sure one of those is going to be a regional jet.

My damned Subal is solid metal and so damn heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom