Advice Upgrading Camera - do I get housing/UW lenses for D780 or make the jump to mirrorless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ValkyrieDesigns

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I do some pro-photography on land. Underwater I am a hobbyist. That being said, I've definitely outgrown my T-6. I have a D780 that I love/use on land. I am debating if I should spend the money on housing/lenses for my D780. My concern is with the push for mirrorless my investment in glass won't make the transition when I do make that transition. On the converse side, there are not of ton of mirrorless lenses I would use that are compatible with the UW housing brands I like. I'm sure with the mirrorless push more lenses/ports will be coming out soon. I do feel like down the line there may be more options for used gear on mirrorless. But also, looking at a minimum of 2k for a housing, plus suitable glass for the D780 to start using it for UW photography and don't want to make that investment if it's not going to carry me a long time. What would you do?

I would probably look to go mirrorless. Unless you have multiple 780 bodies, since you are making money with your photography what is the risk if you have a housing flood and lose your 780? Just a thought.

Also realize that there are some differences btwn mirrorless and dslr. Especially in the realm of digital viewfinder vs dslr.

If you don't have any lenses with your current setup you can use underwater then it's really only the cost of the body that you are incurring.

I am an amateur underwater photographer. I felt that my D800 was getting long in the tooth so I went up to mirror less - the Z7II. I got that last year. Had I got it this year, I might have gone with the z8 for the fast focus but that cost more and it was not in the market last year and no one knew when it might come on line.

First off, the housing, not the camera is the major expense. Housings have much lower production rates than cameras so that makes sense.

Secondly, I compared the Ikelite housing and system to the Nauticam. The Ikelite housing is cheaper than the Nauticam. But the system cost is pretty similar. The ports, extenders, arms, strobes, focus lights, floats are all close to the same price. Plus the Ikelite is a box and it can come out of synch and can require servicing (I used to have an Ike housing). The Nauticam housing has superior ergonomics, it stays dialed in. Also, you can get a vacuum lock system for a Nauticam housing and having one pretty much makes the system pretty close to flood proof, I have never had a problem with a housing once I get a vacuum lock on it.

Now, the advantages of a mirrorless system vs a DSLR. The D850 is still a really good camera. And the F lenses have become relatively inexpensive. The mirrorless cameras have advantages. You can focus pretty near anywhere on the field of view. The lenses tend to be lighter and have superior optics (but this comes into play pretty much only if you are pixel peaking). Also, Nikon seems an F to Z mount inexpensively so you can use all of your old F glass until you go over to mirror less.

Mirrorless has some really nice advantages. Wide angle zooms and long telephoto lenses in F tend to be big. In mirrorless, they are much lighter with better optics. I have an old zoom long F lens and I now have a z zoom long lens about the same range and the z lens is easily hand held and the F lens is about the size of a bozooka.

The problem with underwater photography is in is not cheap.

Remember, skill in photography matters more than equipment. I have a buddy who dives with an Olympus mirrrorless and it is old. My system is superior optically but his has advantages … it is far more compact making macro far easier (my system is so large that it is just not possible to line up quite a few macro shots). He can shoot one handed, I have to shoot 2 handed. He is a good photographer. A big advantage he has is versatility. With his wet lenses, he can shoot wide angle and macro. I put on a lens for the dive and I am now shooting wide angle zoom, zoom, 60 mm macro or 105 macro. On a recent dive I got really close to a feeding eagle ray and he did not care about me. So had I had my zoom lens, I could have gotten in nice and close and taken shots at 24 mm.

Years ago, I used to shoot an old canon point and shoot the G10. On the Canon corner, there was Gilligan, who shot a G8. And he took really great shots with a limited camera.

My current Z7II focuses pretty well. It is superior to my old D800. A Z8 has a focus system that is faster which would be really nice. But the Z7II works very well.

If you live close to a good reef photographer shop, go there and get your hands on the gear. I makes a difference if you can get your hands on the system and see how it works. Backscatter is good. I live in FL so I do business with Reef Photo and Video and they are really good.

Also, Backscatter has a really good website and you can watch videos and reviews of what is on offer.

You need to take weight into consideration as well. My SLR rig and case weighs 30+ Lb and for travelling that is a disincentive. Also an issue going to/from the boat. I bought a small Olympus PEN E-PL10 system from Backscatter last year and the weight and bulk is less than 1/2. It is not difficult to use on full manual settings and the image quality and focus are reasonable. I find it much easier to travel with and to take on dive boats.
A few sample images below

Attachments

• _4270224.jpeg
    _4270224.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 159.jpg
    159.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 39
  • _4010332.jpeg
    _4010332.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 43
I assume, as a professional, you have plenty of Nikon housings, lenses etc...
In this case I would not change to another company (Canon, Sony, Olympus etc...), but stay within the ecosystem. Maybe you can get a used D780 housing and build an UW system around it. I would go for Nauticam, I think this is most future proof, when you change later to another camera and just have to upgrade to new camera body and UW housing...

When FF, a used D780 or D850 housing for DSLR may be a good solution. Mirrorless (Z8) is the optimum, currently available, but also most expensive...

One may also consider DX. At present, there is the DSLR D500 competitive. One can get this used as many upgrade now to FF mirrorless (Z8). A DX mirrorless camera body from Nikon, that performs excellent UW is yet to come ...

As said already, an interchangeable lens camera system requires an extra piece of lugagge, when air travelling. My personal experience, when upgrading from Olympus EM1II (MFT) system to Sony A7R5 (FF), both in Nauticam housings, was that the increase in weight and size is rather small and not really substantial (except macro, the macro rig is really much bigger, but IQ is outstanding)...

Wolfgang

Thanks for the replies. Good info to keep mulling over. I do have more than one D780, so while I hope I don't have to deal with flooding have a backup option to keep making money on land. I am planning to stay with Nikon since I have tons of lenses. I generally travel with my camera no matter what. Yes the UW gear adds weight, but ultimately my housing and lenses will be the bulk and that is just a burden I accept. I do like the idea of mirrorless being smaller/lighter for travel and UW.

I do like the compatibility with the adapted between Z and FX lenses, but I've heard there are issues with back focusing so I'd be hesitant to use any FX lenses with adapters underwater. Not always a lot of do-over shots.

It's definitely a hard choice. I appreciate the housing advice!

If you will make money, then go mirrorless now. Sell off the DSLR in tandem.

If you're a hobbyist, then it comes down to how much disposable income you are willing to spend.

You could sell off your DSLR now and get a whole new underwater mirrorless setup that should last you another decade. Maybe even used.

If you don't have the UW lenses (105 macro, 8-15 wide, 16-35 wide) then going mirrorless makes sense. I would probably stick with Nikon since you know the ecosystem, but as others have said, the housing/porrts/strobes are where the big money is.
Bill

In my opinion, the camera is the least importance piece of gear in my UW photo bag.

I have shot Nikon for nearly 30 years but shoot a Sony A7c underwater. Don't limit yourself to one brand if you happen to come across a good deal on a quality used setup.

AFAIK there are only the Ikelite and Isotta housings for the D780. Once you buy into a system lenses, ports and strobes are forever, housing bodies and camera bodies are not. The Isotta is like $3500 for the base housing, the Ike is like half that. Ports are roughly equivalent for both, one big factor is that Ike only plays nice with Ike strobes.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom