Trip Report Utopia Village, Utila - Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blues Runner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I made a return trip to the AWESOME Utopia Village in Utila in Mid-April. I was joined by wife and a group of friends with whom I wanted to share the Utopia Village experience. I had visions and hopes of repeat whale shark encounters. The group took a puddle jumper from Roatan to the island of Utila. We arrived at the Utila airstrip and were met by one of the owners of Utopia Village. Since this was a return visit for me, arriving here was like rejoining family that you haven’t shared time with during the past year. After riding in tucks tucks (think three wheeled golf cart) from the airstrip to the waterfront, we boarded a Utopia Village boat for transport to Utopia Village. Fresh moist towels and drinking water greeted us as we boarded the boat for the 15 minute ride to Utopia.

Utopia Village is over the top. The owners, the employees (all local Hondurans) go out of their way every minute to insure their guests are indeed in Utopia! Great fresh food including fruit, daily baked breads, desserts and fresh fish. Many Utila folks continue to make a living as fisherman. We had Tuna two evenings that was literally swimming hours before. Nothing beats fresh fish!

Spoiled, spoiled, spoiled ….We were served lunch in the pool twice, afternoon hors d’oeuvres and cocktails daily in the hot tub portion of the pool. The hot tub is a great way to rewarm the body after three dives. Dinner on the patio and pool side on different evenings.

The facilities are first class. The buildings are constructed of local Honduran hardwoods and are well maintained in the harsh ocean environment. A beautiful Honduran wood yoga building was added on the beachfront in the last year.

The diving from Utopia is great. Boat, shore and night dives are available. The house reef is a wall that is beautiful and close to Utopia’s dock. The reefs do not see the dive pressure of other areas and are in very good shape. Healthy sponges, sea fans, pillar and staghorn corals are present at every dive site. Seahorses, porcupine fish, squid, octopus, scorpion fish, turtles and an eagle ray were among some of the sea life encountered. Although the water was a little cool and the winds were a little strong for Whale sharks, we did have an encounter with open water dolphins. The pod included a dolphin calf that synchronized swam with its mother. The mother seemed please to show her calf to the human visitors. Awesome dive crew in Captain Elvis, Dive Masters John, Anke and Rachel.

It is always difficult when an excursion of this caliber comes to an end. A great time with my wife, our friends and the family at Utopia Village! If you enjoy a pampered, first class dive vacation I suggest a visit to Utopia Village.

The pictures that follow are from several photographers. My photos are watermarked.

2018-04-21 08.09.54.jpg
us4 (1 of 1).jpg
lunch3 (1 of 1).jpg
hot tub (1 of 1).jpg
Dive Boat (1 of 1).jpg
Dolphin1.jpg
Boat2.jpg
Porcupine.jpg
Seahorse2.jpg
Starfish.jpg

Sounds like you had a great time. We see occasional posts curious about more upscale experience options; nice to hear about this one.

Richard.
Love the report. It matches our experience a few years ago.

The experience was upscale but I believe the pricing was less than a LOB.

Have they by any chance added A/C for the inside dining area? When we stayed there (before the current owners and pre-pool) there were a number of things we liked about the place, and some we didn't. Eating great food while always feeling uncomfortable and sticky was one, the fans or whatever they had didn't really cut it for me.

Have they by any chance added A/C for the inside dining area? When we stayed there (before the current owners and pre-pool) there were a number of things we liked about the place, and some we didn't. Eating great food while always feeling uncomfortable and sticky was one, the fans or whatever they had didn't really cut it for me.

Both of my visits to Utopia Village have been in April. I have not observed if the dining hall is air conditioned. The day time highs in April have been in the low 80's on both visits. The dining hall is shaded by trees and has great air flow through the screened windows and doors.

Both of my visits to Utopia Village have been in April. I have not observed if the dining hall is air conditioned. The day time highs in April have been in the low 80's on both visits. The dining hall is shaded by trees and has great air flow through the screened windows and doors.
You're from Florida. :wink:

I believe the main dining room is still naturally cooled (I vaguely remember big screen doors).

BUT: the "visitor center" is air conditioned. During our visit each couple got a secluded romantic dinner to themselves in the visitor center.

We have not added AC (the building is like a big screened porch). But we did upgrade the fans - we have top of the line Big Ass Fans that have excellent air circulation. We also do several meals in other locations during the week.

Thanks for the trip report!

We visited Utila several years ago and loved it. We've been trying to find the right time to go back. Utopia Village is on our bucket list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom