Roatan & Guanaja Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcmiller10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone!

Husband and I are looking to do a week in Roatan and a week in Guanaja. We've been to Cocoview so we know what they are about, and are not opposed to returning there, but we're investigating the possibility staying at another resort to have better access to explore the island and to the West End. Does anyone have input on Turqoise Bay and Anthony's Key as compared to Cocoview? Our #1 priority is the diving.....prefer to stay at an all-inclusive so we don't have to worry about making meals, etc. Most posts seem to point out that the reefs/fish life are not as good near the West End, but unsure if this is the same consensus on North side where Turqoise Bay and Anthony's Key are located vs. South side of the island where Cocoview is located.

For Guanaja, there is very little info on ScubaBoard in general, and I am hesitant on believing TripAdvisor, etc. reviews. I see G&G's Clearwater resort, End of the World resort and Hotel Guanaja as resort options. We'd prefer to stay on the main island to explore therefore not really considering Clark's Cay or the Rock. Have any of you stayed at Hotel Guanaja?? I've seen reviews for the other two resorts mentioned, but not for Hotel Guanaja except from one person that did their OW there. Again, in reading reviews, mixed on which side of the island is "better" for dive conditions, fish diversity, dive site profiles (walls, mounds, etc.).

We've been to Utila so not interested in returning there at this time (too bad Utopia Village is no longer open). We've traveled pretty extensively for diving and are seasoned divers, so we don't necessarily need "lake like" conditions as we live/dive year long in West Palm Beach, FL.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
-Kristin

Anthony's Key is much closer to West End than CCV but it's still a 5km hike or a taxi ride or the bus.

If you want an all inclusive with easier commute to West End, check out West Bay which is about 3km down the beach and a $5 water taxi ride (no water taxis to AKR).

But honestly, there are lots of places in West End where you can get food.

Brisas del Mar "may" be doing stay/dive/dine package since there is a restaurant on the property owned by the hotel/dive shop owner. It's right at the end of West End (away from the buzz on cruise ship days) with a dive shop on the property.

Splash Inn may also have stay, dive and dine (breakfast/dinner) packages.

I'm sure there are other options in West End that could get you most meals. Going the all inclusive route means you miss out on the awesome restaurants (some very economical) and street food in West End.

AI’s you said, diving being paramount, so I’ll answer that.

TBR is just North of CCV, lying on the Northern coast. There is good reportage on this sub forum, describing their operation, albeit only one recent post.

AKR is also a North side operation, but way West, just North of West Bay. There isn’t often much posted on SB about this dive resort. The SB Invasion seems to be an ongoing annual trip.

TBR outsources their dive op to the well regarded Subway guys. They have some superb DMs, knowing naturalists. You can get in three dives per day. say this is a bit of a hump, but I’ve been spoiled by the ease of 4X per day at CCV, plus a CCV night dive every night. At TBR you trade off an afternoon dive for a once weekly night dive. The food and rooms get varying reviews. Most acceptable, but some not. It is in the same geographical isolation as CCV, but as you know, merchants of all kinds show up at CCV. TBR has no shore diving, they have access to a spectacular beach. There is a bit of stair climbing if that’s an issue, a bit of a walk- everywhere.

AKR was one of the original dive resorts, and remains so…with some diversions. Anyone can show up and do the dolphin deal, so that’s no draw. It’s advertised shore dive is by definition only. AKR has a spectacular fleet of deep-vee dive boats, mostly ProDive. The food is well regarded, but I believe it is the same as CCV but the added panache (and pace) of ‘table service’. No problem getting 3x/day and sometimes 4. Night dives are offered as an extra. Their BOGO offer is specious when you do the math, an inflated starting pice combined with a number of up-charges puts you right at the premium level price of CCV. I believe that the required 72 step climb to eat has been fixed. You are within an easy quick cab ride to West End, but…you did want the diving offered by an AI.

What you have previously seen in your visit to CCV will not be matched. I’ve been diving with TBR and AKR (among others) and spent entire days there, including eating. Now, for the truly subjective- the diving itself. I prefer what you’ve already seen on the South side because of the unique u/w terrain. It is very shallow, vertical walls close to shore, facing South into the Sunlight. You likely saw a huge variety of micro and juveniles in ‘the nursery’ of the walls. The shore dive DC3 and 140’ ship in 50fsw are 24/7. The ‘downside’ to CCV is what you wanted: not much to do besides dive. Most all prior CCV divers who ‘stray” elsewhere do so to satisfy a non-diving spouse, or they’re just quite happy with a ‘vacay with diving’, ie 10-15 per week. CCV just built a beach, but I doubt I’ll ever set foot on it :)

I would rank all remaining Roatan dive resorts as #1 CCV, #2 AKR, #3 TBR. I could add beyond that, but the definition of ‘dive resort’ would get quite fuzzy. These are the top 3 places you go if diving is the point. Non AI West End options aplenty, but not for me or you.

I have been diving around Guanaja for many years, but have never slept there, always shipboard. Moored up at Bonacca Key, the main population center, but seldom visited by vacationers. Dove both sides of Guanaja proper and South by the shallows. The diving was more on the tone of Roatan’s North side, deeper and darker. Big deep wreck.

If you have the energy, time and money to get to Guanaja, if you want to sit at the bar 20 years from now and be able to say, “In my day…”, then by all means, do go. No more-so than Cayos Cochinos, but at the Cayos- that entire trip will be one Clutch Cargo adventure. Guanaja has a ‘marked trail’ to get there. I believe Clarks and Dunbar Rock (a stunning looking redoubt fit for a Bond villain) are booked by Roatan Charters. www.roatancharters.com They can walk you through the maze you’ll navigate to get there.

AI’s you said, diving being paramount, so I’ll answer that.

TBR is just North of CCV, lying on the Northern coast. There is good reportage on this sub forum, describing their operation, albeit only one recent post.

AKR is also a North side operation, but way West, just North of West Bay. There isn’t often much posted on SB about this dive resort. The SB Invasion seems to be an ongoing annual trip.

TBR outsources their dive op to the well regarded Subway guys. They have some superb DMs, knowing naturalists. You can get in three dives per day. say this is a bit of a hump, but I’ve been spoiled by the ease of 4X per day at CCV, plus a CCV night dive every night. At TBR you trade off an afternoon dive for a once weekly night dive. The food and rooms get varying reviews. Most acceptable, but some not. It is in the same geographical isolation as CCV, but as you know, merchants of all kinds show up at CCV. TBR has no shore diving, they have access to a spectacular beach. There is a bit of stair climbing if that’s an issue, a bit of a walk- everywhere.

AKR was one of the original dive resorts, and remains so…with some diversions. Anyone can show up and do the dolphin deal, so that’s no draw. It’s advertised shore dive is by definition only. AKR has a spectacular fleet of deep-vee dive boats, mostly ProDive. The food is well regarded, but I believe it is the same as CCV but the added panache (and pace) of ‘table service’. No problem getting 3x/day and sometimes 4. Night dives are offered as an extra. Their BOGO offer is specious when you do the math, an inflated starting pice combined with a number of up-charges puts you right at the premium level price of CCV. I believe that the required 72 step climb to eat has been fixed. You are within an easy quick cab ride to West End, but…you did want the diving offered by an AI.

What you have previously seen in your visit to CCV will not be matched. I’ve been diving with TBR and AKR (among others) and spent entire days there, including eating. Now, for the truly subjective- the diving itself. I prefer what you’ve already seen on the South side because of the unique u/w terrain. It is very shallow, vertical walls close to shore, facing South into the Sunlight. You likely saw a huge variety of micro and juveniles in ‘the nursery’ of the walls. The shore dive DC3 and 140’ ship in 50fsw are 24/7. The ‘downside’ to CCV is what you wanted: not much to do besides dive. Most all prior CCV divers who ‘stray” elsewhere do so to satisfy a non-diving spouse, or they’re just quite happy with a ‘vacay with diving’, ie 10-15 per week. CCV just built a beach, but I doubt I’ll ever set foot on it :)

I would rank all remaining Roatan dive resorts as #1 CCV, #2 AKR, #3 TBR. I could add beyond that, but the definition of ‘dive resort’ would get quite fuzzy. These are the top 3 places you go if diving is the point. Non AI West End options aplenty, but not for me or you.

I have been diving around Guanaja for many years, but have never slept there, always shipboard. Moored up at Guanaja Key, the main population center, but seldom visited by vacationers. Dove both sides of Guanaja proper and South by the shallows. The diving was more on the tone of Roatan’s North side, deeper and darker. Big deep wreck.

If you have the energy, time and money to get to Guanaja, if you want to sit at the bar 20 years from now and be able`` to say, “In my day…”, then by all means, do go. No more-so than Cayos Cochinos, but at the Cayos- that entire trip will be one Clutch Cargo adventure. Guanaja has a ‘marked trail’ to get there. I believe Clarks and Dunbar Rock (a stunning looking redoubt fit for a Bond villain) are booked by Roatan Charters. www.roatancharters.com They can walk you through the maze you’ll navigate to get there.
Thanks for the reply Doc. Always insightful from someone with direct knowledge and experience with the establishments. TBH, I'm hesitant on considering AKR due to their "dolphin" program. We're definitely doing a week on Guanaja as it seems pretty straight forward to get there via ferry, or we'll hire a private plane if we have to due to baggage restrictions on the local puddle jumper. Just need to try to nail down which Operations to stay with.

Do you prefer one side over the other on Guanaja for the dive experiences? We would love to go to Cayos Cochinos as well, but as far as I can tell there aren't any resorts up and running at this time....perhaps for another time!

I advise South Guanaja, deff Clarks or Dunbar, I think there might be a different named one in that zone, including Hotel Guanaja off the SE end Guanaja proper.

Guanaja’s North side diving can be iffy because of wind and wave. No less or more than Roatan’s West/North, but on Roatan, AKR & TBR can move their operations to the South side with ease. Is there an operational resort on the North side IDNK. Guanaja suffered mightily from Mitch 1998 and recovery has been glacial.

All Bay Islands have similar North side u/w architectures. Sloping deep reef structures formed by wind, weather, storm pounding. South side u/w terrain varies considerably certainly among Utila, Roatan and Guanaja. What you saw out front and either side of CCV, I have seen nowhere else in the Caribbean.

The most inviting zone in Guanaja for me was along the shallow keys SE of Savannah Bight.

Hotel Guanaja has a nice graphic:

02EBAF47-3BCE-4373-8A22-2088BEE23BD2.jpeg

In Guanaja, I prefer the north side dive sites. However, with cut-through the middle of the island, they all are short boat ride away even if you stay on the south side.

Reactions: Doc
In Guanaja, I prefer the north side dive sites. However, with cut-through the middle of the island, they all are short boat ride away even if you stay on the south side.
Tell more of the North please

Have you stayed with a specific dive Op on the North side?

Tell more of the North please
My favorite dive site, like anywhere in Caribbean is black rock canyon. It is spectacular when visibility is good, which it is, unless the storm comes through.
I enjoy diving anywhere from the cut to Michaels rock. Nurse sharks there are very friendly and always come up to play with you. They will slither along you, bump your camera playfully , allow you to touch them… coral is very healthy and marine life is plentiful. Not a lot of big stuff though.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom