Utila Travel Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1RUSTYRIG

Contributor
Reaction score
For you all that are hopping from the USA to Utila how are you getting there? I am scanning Kayak, SkyScanner, etc. for flights and it doesn't seem like there are a lot of options. Are you guys jumping into the Honduran mainland and then kicking back out to Utila? Or are you flying into Roatan and bouncing over?

I'm looking to head down there this fall/winter for the first time. Any other recommendations would be appreciated (places to stay, places to drink, places to eat, etc..)

Gracias!

"Jumping, kicking, flying and bouncing" will all work- and sometimes all are required.

You can't fly directly from the US to Utila, the airport is microscopic and there isn't all that much demand.

You may fly to the mainland, then come over by ferry or small plane. You may also fly direct into Roatan and do the same thing. A lot of the equation you're going to have to sort through is how much vacation time are you ready to give up for less expensive travel connections and delays?

Were you going to Utila only just to "stay drink and eat", or were you planning on doing some diving (after all of that jumping, kicking, flying and bouncing)?

if you are flying in and out on saturday, u.s. to san pedro sula is usually $150-200 less than flying via roatan. as long as you land in san pedro sula by 1.30pm, you can get a 3.00pm connection on cm airlines. i always use alice hill at world wide travel on utila to book my cm flights as they're not advertised online ($220 pp rt, 25 mins to utila). don't book your return flight from san pedro sula before 11am, the cm flight to san pedro sula leaves utila at 8am. if you choose to fly via roatan, alice can book you a charter flight ($180 pp rt, 10 mins to utila).

as far as accommodations are concerned, it really depends on which part of the island you want to stay in. you basically have two choices.

1/ utila town (east harbor).
pro's: inexpensive hotels, tons of dive ops, lots of bars and restaurants (very much of a party atmosphere at night).
cons: no beach front hotels (there are only two small beaches in town and one charges a fee), it can be very noisy at night, not terribly picturesque

2/ south/southwest shore and the cays
pro's: very pretty, miles of virtually empty beaches with coral reefs just feet from shore, the only resorts, beautiful beach homes for rent, beautiful private islands for rent, very peaceful and private.
cons: boat access only (no roads) so you need to take a water taxi if you want to visit town, only one dive op if you rent a place (however its the highest rated one), only one or two places to eat & drink

i can recommend the best places to stay based on which part of the island sounds appealing to you.

Definitely going there to dive but I also like a bit of night life too. I'm looking at going for two weeks and right now I am thinking about the Saturday before Thanksgiving to the Saturday after...or Sunday to Sunday...

I don't need to be on the beach unless I am doing beach entry. I would rather squeeze in as many dives as possible then find a hammock before going out on the town.

The only shore dives to speak of are off the AI resorts which are not located in town. Except for one exception which I can't recall the name of which is on the main road a little west of town. Most of the dive operations I'm familiar with there do up to 3 boat dives/day and several night dives. Pretty much the only nightlife at the AI resorts outside of town is at their bars. Deep Blue is currently having financial problems and I believe Laguna Beach is geared around two person cabanas. IDK the arrangements at Utopia Village which is the nicest/newest of the 3 but it's also farther away from town. All access is via resort boat since you have to cross a mangrove lagoon channel at a minimum. I'm not at all familiar with the in-town options.

Alice at Worldwide maintains a Facebook page. So does their competition - Morgan's Travel. They list available flights/prices.

It's also possible to ferry from Roatan to Utila but allow 1/2 day each way. If you land on Roatan around noon to get to the Galaxy Ferry by it's 2PM sailing - an hour later you're back on the mainland at La Ceiba. The Utila Princess docks next door and their schedules mesh. We were on Utila at 5PM. Returns are easy, the Princess leaves at 6AM and you're back on Roatan around 10:45. It's $100 R/T for both. Details:

Roatan Ferry, La Ceiba Ferry | Safeway Maritime
Utila Princess

Dives not to miss IMO - Black Hills, Duppy Waters, Pinnacles, Blackish Point, CJ's Drop Off. Most are on the north side and since all the resorts are in town or along the south side, most operators go there frequently/daily. Ask about it.

Been to Utila probably 15 times and not sure I'd find enough to keep me entertained in town for a two week stay. I do like the dives but am one of those no-see-ums love and I get eaten alive. When pondering a return to Utila these days, we usually end up in the Caymans. The main resorts (Laguna Beach Resort, Utopia Village, and Deep Blue) can book flights for you if you are staying at one of those resorts. As mentioned the island hoppers that fly from Roatan are often charters 6-8 PAX. Flights from the mainland are also available. Typically $200 R/T. The ferry service is available but how much dive time to you want to give up on a ferry. The ferry schedule can also be a challenge and they do not operate some holidays. Utopia Village has new owners and they have really changed the place, remodeled the rooms, added a new pool, and they are actively going after the no-see-ums. So Utopia is my first recommendation these days. My other recommendation is a vitamin B shot from the local doc (very nice young lady) or bring lots of bug spray.

something to bear in mind if you plan on laying in a hammock, november is the wettest month of the year in the bay islands (& much of the western caribbean).

Been to Utila a few times. The rule there about the airstrip. Note I didn't say airport! Any landing that the plane doesn't get the tires wet is a good landing. The airstrip starts and ends in the ocean. Enjoy. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually fly into San Pedro Sula then a 30 minute hop by air sosa to Utila. The flight to the island is usually round 100.00 or so. Contact Worldwide
travel or Morgan's travel on the island to set you up for the hop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom