UTD Alpha/Delta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I’m doing tech, it’s cold water so drysuit. I don’t like the drawbacks of RB, it’s useful for warm water tec.

If you want to buy once, cry once then best SM for tech/wreck the xdeep stealth is a contender. You can find alternatives for a travel set up.

Both rec and tec are similar, the rec has plastic buckles for faster adjustments and don and doff. Again, my preference is the tec and then the classic for warm water. Depending on your weight/lift requirements you might get by with just the classic. Again, no backmount but as I suggested maybe just dive SM when traveling. I hope I’ve answered your questions and haven’t come across as a kool aid drinking, AG worshiping, expensive gear pushing zealot.

Johnny,
You have. Thank you both, I appreciate the honest answers and opinions.

I agree with the sentiments about the redundant bladder. IMO if you’re doing a dive where there is a risk of needing a redundant bladder, you should be in a drysuit anyway, due to a number of considerations. If you’re doing a deep trimix dive where you’re overweighted in a wetsuit, it’s probably not a dive you should be doing.

@RVA_Diver,

The link that @JohnnyC provided is a SCREAMING deal! If only I had not already purchased an Xdeep.

While you will be told ad nauseum (as you should) to find a solid instructor, I'd also suggest subscribing to Steve Martin's video series. It won't replace a good instructor, but will help prepare you for your sidemount course and you'll get a lot more out of it. Also check out Tomasz Michura's YouTube channel, Tomasz Michura, for other solid tips. I've never seen anyone so proficient with many cylinders and be so incredibly still. Such a sight to behold.

Good luck!

The link that @JohnnyC provided is a SCREAMING deal! If only I had not already purchased an Xdeep.
:wink: already working on it

While you will be told ad nauseum (as you should) to find a solid instructor, I'd also suggest subscribing to Steve Martin's video series. It won't replace a good instructor, but will help prepare you for your sidemount course and you'll get a lot more out of it. Also check out Tomasz Michura's YouTube channel, Tomasz Michura, for other solid tips. I've never seen anyone so proficient with many cylinders and be so incredibly still. Such a sight to behold.
Thanks! I have been crawling Sidemounting.com all shift Lol. Definitely will help before my class.

Just as an aside, sidemount is good for low places. Once you start adding stages and deco gas, you aren't getting any benefit from a reduced profile, however you are limiting your ability to function as well as you can in backmounted doubles, not to mention that it's much more annoying sidemounting big steels plus stages/deco gases.

I only mention this because Atlantic wrecks tend to be deeper, requiring larger gas volumes, longer deco schedules, and as such, the choice of tank is often large LP steels like 104/8's that are pumped beyond rated pressure. They don't sidemount well unless they're by themselves, and much better when they're on your back. Then you get the benefit of manifolded doubles, and the real estate to carry those extra stages, deco gases, travel gases, etc. If you are considering adding enough additional cylinders to reach those wrecks, you're better off going with a twinset than sidemount.

Absolutely. Although that's a ways down the road for someone who is just an open water diver.....probably a farther road (or at least should be) than hypoxic trimix.
I can appreciate that. Though personally, I’m stopping at normoxic trimix for cost reasons. I don’t see the return for hypoxic trimix, but I will admit I don’t have the level of experience as you and others.

somewhat echoing @JohnnyC
I dive sidemount almost exclusively in caves. I believe it is a better configuration for that environment than doubles, even with stages/deco bottles. Most of the places I want to go really benefit from *read are easier with*, or require sidemount.
I've been doing backmount CCR for the last year to get some hours in, but sometime this spring I'll have my SMCCR done so will be back in SM.

I am a firm believer in take the right tool for the job.
I believe SM is the right tool for the job of cave diving. Sometimes backmount makes more sense from a profile standpoint, but we have a lot more bedding plane type caves in Florida than we do fissure cracks. I can go places in sidemount I can't go in backmount, but I can't go places in backmount I can't go in sidemount.

I believe BM is the right tool for ocean diving. Most wrecks for penetration are going to be vertical and much easier in backmount so it has a profile advantage. Getting up and down ladders is IMO easier in backmount, especially off the Carolinas where 3-5ft swells are normal so handing bottles up is not the easiest thing in the world.

@RVA_Diver buy the gear that is suited for what you're doing. Compared to the cost of the UTD system, it won't be any more expensive if you shop around properly and it will function a lot better

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom