UTD Alpha/Delta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RVA_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have experience diving this rig? Looking to get into rec SM, and would like a system that can be upgraded as i get into Tec next year, while maintaining the ability to dive singles BM with my wife. I have searched for forums and mostly saw discussions from 2012 ish. anyone still diving this?

Why bother when an xDeep Stealth or Hollis Katana will serves you better.

NONE of the “I do both” systems are good st either BM or SM. Get a real SM system and single tank it if you must. Or get a real SM system and grab a BP/W for backmounting with your wife.

Better yet, ask yourself why you want to go sidemount in the first place?

Why bother when an xDeep Stealth or Hollis Katana will serves you better.
Will research these further. I was mainly looking at UTD due to the fact you can build on the plate and harness, add a SM only wing, or a doubles BM wing etc.

Better yet, ask yourself why you want to go sidemount in the first place?
I love redundancy, and my next goal is to get into tec wreck diving, maybe caving, so why not start with SM now.

I responded to your pm. It’s a big benefit to have the ability to mount it to a SM harness or backplate. Further, especially in cold water (where I mostly dive) it gives you a lot of options to mount weights. You lose some maneuverability but in a drysuit with a thick under garment and dry gloves it’s negligible. True it’s rare for a single wing to do multiple things well, but in this case it isn’t so. I’ve had these wings for years with hundreds of dives.....many may offer opinions without actually diving them.

I had a whole thing written, but I’ll just leave it at this. There’s a reason nobody outside of UTD dives it, especially those doing true sidemount exploration. Because it’s lame at sidemount.

I’ve dove it. It’s not good. ETA: for sidemount. I’ve never used it for backmount.

I usually agree with Johnny C, but he can be narrow minded occasionally. I will note that the Z system hasn’t been mentioned and I think that’s the bee in his bonnet. As we are talking wings we can continue to discuss them. If Johnny has any opinions on what he uses for “true sidemount exploration “ I’d love to hear it.

Seeing as you are a few hundred steps from true sidemount exploration I think you’ll survive. As I mentioned in my pm, my preference for overheads is my stealth, if there’s no requirement for a backplate then I would choose a stealth with 2 wings, one for local and 1 for travel. But that’s not what you are asking. I hope my pm’s help.

I had a whole thing written, but I’ll just leave it at this. There’s a reason nobody outside of UTD dives it, especially those doing true sidemount exploration. Because it’s lame at sidemount.

I’ve dove it. It’s not good. ETA: for sidemount. I’ve never used it for backmount.

Thanks for your feedback. I am looking into the XDEEP Stealth 2.0 as well...

As we are talking wings we can continue to discuss them.

Speaking of Wings, in reference to the Stealth 2.0, is there a huge difference between Tec and REC wings? (not accounting for Redundant buoyancy)

For Sale - Xdeep stealth

Buy this. It’s a great deal.

If by narrow-minded you mean I don’t drink AG’s kookaid, yep! I eon’t Even mention the z-manifold because I firmly believe even Jay isn’t that far in with UTD that he’d recommend something THAT bad.

The fact is the A/D wing has too much buoyancy at the top of the wing and in order to compensate you have to rig your tanks poorly and shift weight to your head to compensate. Now dive it with AL80’s and it jacks up your trim. Dive it with steels and it floats off your back.

The z-harness is just a harness, and definitely better than trying it with a backplate, which is downright dumb. In which case you’re gonna want to buy a backplate anyway for single tank backmount. Which is gonna cost you again, so might as well make the smart choice from the get go.

Guys pushing line in true sidemount caves, the DRSS guys, Steve Bogaerts, etc. dive Mexico rigs. Ask Edd Sorensen if he’s pushing the UTD stuff. He’s one of the most prolific sidemount instructors around. Ask the CDG guys who invented sidemount if any of them are diving UTD stuff in British caves.

AG likes to pretend that he’s being “progressive,” but all of the UTD stuff is an expensive “also ran” that nobody outside of UTD buys because there’s better stuff on the market. They like to promote themselves as progressive because they have to justify their silly and sometimes downright dangerous policies and equipment configurations.

I’m on my phone so sorry for the poor grammar, etc. the rec and tec wings have different lift capacities. Rec is great for steels and a stage/deco tank. If you want a couple stages and deco, get the tec.

Sale - Xdeep stealth

Buy this. It’s a great deal.
thanks.

If by narrow-minded you mean I don’t drink AG’s kookaid, yep! I eon’t Even mention the z-manifold because I firmly believe even Steve isn’t that far in with UTD that he’d recommend something THAT bad.
:coffee: just gonna leave that be, Did not know there was controversy! lol

Rec is great for steels and a stage/deco tank. If you want a couple stages and deco, get the tec.
Understood... RB or no RB? ... (Cold salt water with drysuit, my end game is Tech wreck penetration in the Atlantic) I am just trying to make the best informed decision I can make. Unfortunately all of my friends who dive SM are in NY still, after I moved down here. So I am not going to be able to do a dive in any of the set ups before I own them.

Both rec and tec are similar, the rec has plastic buckles for faster adjustments and don and doff. Again, my preference is the tec and then the classic for warm water. Depending on your weight/lift requirements you might get by with just the classic. Again, no backmount but as I suggested maybe just dive SM when traveling. I hope I’ve answered your questions and haven’t come across as a kool aid drinking, AG worshiping, expensive gear pushing zealot.

Johnny,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom