USVI to BVI ferries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slingshot...

In Roadtown there are a lot of restaurants. There is a great little sandwich shop that's open for lunch located at Village Cay Marina called Dockmasters. Great veggie sandwiches, too. There is also a restaurant at the marina itself that has good food but the service kind of stinks. Also in the marina area is Spaghetti Junction which has good seafood and pasta. There is a great BBQ place called C&F Barbecue that is a short taxi ride to the Port Purcell area.
The ferries come in to the main dock in Roadtown and there is a lot within walking distance from there, including Village Cay.
Where are you staying on Tortola? Are you right in town or somewhere else like Prspect Reef?
Do you have diving planned out yet? Who are you diving with? (Don't worry, I'm not trying to steal you away from another dive shop. I work on Virgin Gorda and we don't pick up in Tortola.)

Gonzo: Thanks for the tips on the food, double thanks from my wife for the veggie info, though BBQ sounds mighty good to me.

Jeff: I'm heading to the BVI's in June, so sorry we won't see you there. Enjoy your scuba lessons, it's a great hobby and you get to meet a lot of new people as you travel and dive. Are you chartering a crewed boat in the BVI's? I'd love to hear more info on how that works out. I missed out a couple years back on a bare-boat charter a friend of mine did in the Carribean, and am thinking about trying to convince him to plan another trip.

It's 3 am and I still have a ton of work to do, so that's all for now.

I just returned from the BVI's. We had a wonderful trip and I was able to get 6 dives. The first four to complete my OWC and then my first dive as a certified diver was the Rhone. It was amazing.

We ended up having six couples go and we chartered two boats. We had four couples on a 54' Cat Sailboat and two couples on a 53' monohull. Both boats had captain and crews with them. We had met both capatains on previous trips and two of the couples that were with us had booked charters with both captains for the past three years.

One of the coolest things was that both captains and their crew were certified scuba instructors and we had a dive compressor on board the Cat.

The bare-boat charter would be fun, but for us I think we will stick with a crewed boat because they know exactly where to go, three meals a day (excellent food) and all beverages (beer, wine, liquer, included).

If you want to know more about our trip, send me a PM and I will give you the web sites to the boats that we took.

Jeff

Gonzodive, my wife and I are staying on St John May 26 to June 2 then over to Cane Garden Bay. If you wanna do a dive or two, we can spring for the gas... we'd sure like to grab a cupla bugs! Lemme know whassup over there! We may rent a power boat for a day or two and dive the east side of St John for bugs. Havagudn!

Garry (& Renee)
sc_fxdxt@yahoo.com

Unfortunately I live over on Virgin Gorda and it's quite a haul to get to Cane Garden Bay, but thanks for the offer. Be VERY careful in the BVI - it is VERY illegal to hunt bugs. Big fines! You are not allowed to take anything live out of the waters here. Have fun!

Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

I have a couple of questions for you all who live in both the USVI & the BVI. We are headed for a week at the Elysian Resort in Red Hook, St Thomas for week of Dec. 10 thru Dec. 17th. We would like to spend a couple of days in St Croix prior to our week on St Thomas, what is the best and least expensive way to do this. We plan to do a day trip to St John via the ferry from Red Hook and would also like to see The Baths in the BVI. What is best way to get to The Baths from St Thomas?

Thanks for your help, as you can tell this is our first trip to the Virgin Islands.

Suzanne

slingshot:
Hi folks:

Does anyone know about baggage handling (i.e. restrictions to number or weight) on the ferries between the USVIs and BVIs? If you have recommendations of outfits to use or avoid, I'd love to hear them. Mainly looking for weekend service between St. Thomas and Road Town.

Thanks!

there are none.

zuzanne:
I have a couple of questions for you all who live in both the USVI & the BVI. We are headed for a week at the Elysian Resort in Red Hook, St Thomas for week of Dec. 10 thru Dec. 17th. We would like to spend a couple of days in St Croix prior to our week on St Thomas, what is the best and least expensive way to do this. We plan to do a day trip to St John via the ferry from Red Hook and would also like to see The Baths in the BVI. What is best way to get to The Baths from St Thomas?

Thanks for your help, as you can tell this is our first trip to the Virgin Islands.

Suzanne

There is a hydrofoil ferry that goes between St. Thomas and St. Croix... that way you can dive in the morning :) I'm not sure of the price off-hand but I think it's around $80 a person and takes a couple of hours.

Seaborne airlines also flies from St. Thomas (along the waterfront) to St. Croix.
http://www.seaborneairlines.com/. Don't know if they still do it but at one time there was a fly/ferry package. You'd fly over on the early flight, could do a two tank and take the afternoon ferry back.

Air sunshine fliest St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda
http://airsunshine.com/Main/STT-VIJ.htm
if you want to do a longer trip there

If you want to do a day trip to the baths, then check out some of the charter boats. It's a great day on the water, tour of the baths, a lunch stop and then usually a last stop at Jost Van Dyke for either the soggy dollar bar or foxy's. New Horizons is great, I couldn't find the link to their powerboats but here's the link to their sail boat.
http://www.newhorizonsvi.com/

enjoy
chris

gonzodive:
Now that you've heard from the people on the USVI side, let me know if you need any help on the BVI side. I used to live in Tortola and now live on Virgin Gorda and I'd be happy to help. Ferries are very easy as you already found out and definitely take advantage of the duty free shopping in St. Thomas. Also be sure to have you fill of McDonald's and Wendy's before you come to the BVI as we have no fast food restaurants. Hope you enjoy your stay in the BVI!
hello gonzo-my hubby and i will be on st thomas for september (a whole month!!smile)
but we have fallen in love with virgin gorda and would love to come there for a week or so ...could you recommend some good shore dive sights? my hubby isn't too cool with boat dives yet as we are both newly certified ...but i've been doing more dives than he and want him to be comfortable before i book some boat dives for myself ...any help would be appreciated !!!! my name is liz and my cell is 301-992-6913 and it works on island ...would love to have a locals help!! you are so very lucky to live in paradise!!!!!!!!!! thanks sweetie !!!!! with respect , liz or skye

Back
Top Bottom