USVI to BVI ferries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks:

Does anyone know about baggage handling (i.e. restrictions to number or weight) on the ferries between the USVIs and BVIs? If you have recommendations of outfits to use or avoid, I'd love to hear them. Mainly looking for weekend service between St. Thomas and Road Town.

Thanks!

When I was on the ferry, I saw people with all kinds of luggage. So I don't think you'll have a problem with it. Just don't expect porters there to load it for you, so bring wheeled luggage if you can.

By the way, you can catch the ferry in St Thomas in either Charlotte Amalie or in Red Hook. There are pro's and cons to both. The Red Hook ferry is a shorter boat ride but you have to take a longer taxi ride to get to it. The downtown one is closer to the airport, but it cirlces the island and takes longer. My suggestion is just to try to get whichever one works best for your schedule.

Check out these links to ferry schedules.
Note some of them stop at St John or Red Hook on the way there or back.

http://www.bviwelcome.com/ferries.html (note the abbreviations and what they mean for the ferry point)

http://www.st-thomas.com/week/ferries.html

Many thanks Mike, good links.

Have a good trip.

By the way. USVI is a "tax free port", which means anything brought in there doesn't have import(duty) tax or sales tax. So you can buy some items in USVI really cheap. Mostly jewelry, perfumes, liquour, etc. So you might want to spend a day shopping after your return from BVI.

There are two shopping districfs. The old one downtown and the the one directly on the cruise boat pier. Both are similar in what items they sell. Be careful of being on "dark streets" at night there as late night crime (petty theft) can be a problem.

While out shopping, wait until you get to the airport to buy liqour right before your return flight.... It's almost exactly the same price as it is in any store in the shopping district and you don't have to carry it around town with the other items you've bought. Much easier this way. You can get easy to carry cardboard booze boxes at the airport liquour store also. The local rum is Cruzan rum also FYI. It's not bad and is very economically priced at maybe $4 bucks per liter (or 5th). I bought a case of it at the airport to bring back as gifts to friends. Everyone likes getting a "local island" gift from where you went and a bottle of booze makes most folks happy ;-)

Hope all this helps.

-Mike

I live in St Thomas and as previously stated you can get a ferry from either of the two locations. It is usually easier to get one from town rather than go to Red Hook. Although the times are listed on the web, be aware things change here by the minute so don't bank on the times. There are two companies that provide the service and the prices are the same. At this time there is no charge for baggage but there is a move towards a $2 fee. Have fun and enjoy your trip.
PS: The ride from the airport to the ferry in town is about 3-5 minutes, $4/person plus $2 per bag.

> The ride from the airport to the ferry in town is about 3-5 minutes

On a good day... on a bad day it can take 30 minutes.

> By the way. USVI is a "tax free port", which means anything brought in there doesn't have import(duty) tax or sales tax.

We have customs and duties (around 10%) on everything except alcohol, tobacco, and jewelry. (There may be a few other items, perfumes and cameras, etc that also are duty free, but it is a common mistake for people to assume that everything is duty free.)

> wait until you get to the airport to buy liqour right before your return flight.... It's almost exactly the same price as it is in any store in the shopping district

If you can get to k-mart, buy your alcohol there... cheapest prices on island that I have seen. The airport is the most expensive, which is still a lot cheaper than you will see in the states... I haven't been in the shops downtown for a while (years) so I cannot say if they are more or less than the airport.

> The local rum is Cruzan rum also FYI. It's not bad and is very economically priced at maybe $4 bucks per liter (or 5th).

Cruzan rum is some of the best in the world! *smile* (... and it is cheaper than milk, around $5.00 a gallon wholesale. It really is very good rum!)

so I can see myself now, sitting on the beach, writing a postcard...

"Greetings from the lovely Virgin Islands. Diving's been great, met some nice new people, got some good photos. Oh yeah, I got a great deal on a few gallons of rum down at K-mart!

Wish you were here..."

Now that you've heard from the people on the USVI side, let me know if you need any help on the BVI side. I used to live in Tortola and now live on Virgin Gorda and I'd be happy to help. Ferries are very easy as you already found out and definitely take advantage of the duty free shopping in St. Thomas. Also be sure to have you fill of McDonald's and Wendy's before you come to the BVI as we have no fast food restaurants. Hope you enjoy your stay in the BVI!

Gonzodive, welcome to the Board. I could use recommendations for a place to eat around Road Town. While I'm partial to seafood, my wife is a vegetarian and finding good veggie's is a bit of a trick when travelling. Is there a main dock into which the ferries pull in Road Town?

Slingshot,

When are you going to the BVI's?

My wife and I are heading that way on May 6 to spend 10 days sailing with 3 other couples. We have been to St. John's and Tortolla a few times in the past and it is great. Definately check out Jost Van Dyke, Norman Island and Virgin Gorda.

All of the islands are fairly close and the people are very friendly. We are new to scuba diving so this is our first trip actually diving. The captain of our sailboat is an instructor and he is going to do our open water dives so that we can finish our open water certificates.

Also, if you like to party a little you might want to check out the Bamba Shack on Tortolla. This is indeed a wild place during the full moon party. The Willy T on Norman Island is also pretty cool.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom