*ussys.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last Sunday had my tanks ready to go for Terrell but bailed on the idea. Much as I like diving there, the enjoyment factor goes way down when I'm cold.

I'm with the Aquarena people above. Aquarena and the Comal, there's my winter diving, right there.

Never been to the Florida springs, but it's on my list :)

I'm in Florida so I guess my opinion doesn't count. 70 degree water is cold enough for me, but I like to watch people in colder water! Mid-winter we regularly see temps in the 70's brrrrr....

Nice thing about 15' in Spring Lake and the San Marcos river during winter at 72f is that you get all the bottom time you want on a single tank, so one trip down will do ya. Then it'll be time to get warm:coffee:

However I must agree that a dry suit would be most advantageous and preferred if only I had one... Santa?:xmas3:

Wow! What an interesting thread.

I have a 5 mil wetsuit that I took diving at Murray about two weeks ago. Water temp at 77 ft was 52 degrees F. I used to think Timeliner was nuts for doing that! But I have to admit, it wasn't all that bad. Maybe I've lost my mind too!

Of course, it did really help that the top side air temp was 82 degrees F with nice bright sunshine and almost no wind. Hhhmmm, go figure. Maybe you can dive in 52 F water with a wet suit under the right conditions. I am not sure I would want to dive any colder in a wet suit though.

Hard water diving is good though too. Even if the air temp is -19 degrees F.

Wow! What an interesting thread.

I have a 5 mil wetsuit that I took diving at Murray about two weeks ago. Water temp at 77 ft was 52 degrees F. I used to think Timeliner was nuts for doing that! But I have to admit, it wasn't all that bad. Maybe I've lost my mind too!

Well, Timeliner IS nuts, but not just because of that. He and I dove to 110' in Broken Bow Lake. He was wearing the bottoms to a 7mm farmer John and NO TOP. It was 48 degrees at depth. The dive lasted 45 minutes. He had no sleeves. Not sure what the camo gloves he was wearing were supposed to do. Maybe just to keep others from seeing his blue fingers.

Bring on the cold. It'll keep the www's out of the water! Vis will be better, bottom not tore up, and fish will not need as much valium!

Of course, it did really help that the top side air temp was 82 degrees F with nice bright sunshine and almost no wind. Hhhmmm, go figure. Maybe you can dive in 52 F water with a wet suit under the right conditions. I am not sure I would want to dive any colder in a wet suit though.
H

It's the stripping down WET, OUT of the water, in the COLD that sucks...:scared:

Bring on that cold & snow. I just ordered my new Pinnacle Extreme semi dry with hood, gloves and boots. I ready for anything. Thanks to Mike at Dive Right In Scuba, Dive Right In Scuba - Home Plainfield, IL. Mike was telling me they do several Ice dives and play golf and hockey under the ice. Your feet on on the ice above you. Sounds like fun.

Bring on that cold & snow. I just ordered my new Pinnacle Extreme semi dry with hood, gloves and boots. I ready for anything. Thanks to Mike at Dive Right In Scuba, Dive Right In Scuba - Home Plainfield, IL. Mike was telling me they do several Ice dives and play golf and hockey under the ice. Your feet on on the ice above you. Sounds like fun.

:fish: A couple years ago I was in Illinois for the winter and went diving the quarry's with Midwest divers out of Bloomington Illinois. What a blast in 38 degree water, everyone should get a chance to try out midwest diving. Just a great bunch of divers. My hats off to Harry and Jerry.:shakehead:

Regards,

Shawn O'Shea

Last Sunday had my tanks ready to go for Terrell but bailed on the idea. Much as I like diving there, the enjoyment factor goes way down when I'm cold.

I'm with the Aquarena people above. Aquarena and the Comal, there's my winter diving, right there.

Never been to the Florida springs, but it's on my list :)

Some of the springs in Florida, at least the famous ones that flow a lot of water are sorta chilly. ( Vortex is 68 degrees all year) We were 67 at Terrell last weekend.......

A spring is a spring is a spring I guess.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom