USS Kittiwake-Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you guys seen these diagrams?

Those diagrams seem better resolution than the ones on the official web site I linked to in Post #36 above, but I still can't read most of the labels. Is the chamber one of the two circles, main deck, just aft of the superstructure? Circled in red here:

Attachments

• GA-Inboard-Profile2a.JPG
    GA-Inboard-Profile2a.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 140
Thanks all for the links. After reviewing the "rules" and "restrictions":

Wow.

Someone has an inflated view of their importance. Not to mention an overly inflated opinion of how difficult this dive is. I'm speachless!

...looks like an easy shore dive, though. 10 minutes out, ten minutes back, 30 minutes at the wreck.

All the best, James

I am courious to hear your thoughts, one dive operator is charging $100 USD for a 1 tank dive on the Kittiwake, does that sound resonable? If it were a two tank I would think it would be ok. I am just courious what you all think? A two tank would be amazing I would think.

...looks like an easy shore dive, though. 10 minutes out, ten minutes back, 30 minutes at the wreck.

All the best, James

As someone who has done a lot of shore diving around the island, including several spots that are listed as "accessible only by boat" I thought the same thing. Using Google Earth, it appears that this is going to be sunk about 1/2 a mile off of Cemetery Beach. If that's accurate, it's twice as far out as other sites I've dove.

May have to bring a damn snorkel yet! :rofl3:

I am courious to hear your thoughts, one dive operator is charging $100 USD for a 1 tank dive on the Kittiwake, does that sound resonable?

Sunset House, where we're staying that week, charges US$65 for a one-tank dive on Kittiwake, including the $10 entry fee. Sounds like their regular one-tank dive price plus the fee: http://www.sunsethouse.com/rates_dive.phphttp://www.sunsethouse.com/rates_dive.php

Hope we can do Kittiwake as pat of our two-dives-a-day package, just adding the fee.

My dad was the diving officer on the Kittiwake, 1962-1964. He passed away last summer and the family--we are also divers--came up with the idea of putting a plaque on the ship to his memory. It wasn't his favorite ship, but it is the only one that has been sunk as a dive attraction/artificial reef. It seemed fitting, and a good way to honor my father, a master diver who joined the Navy when he was barely 15 years old during the last year of WWII. The people in charge were very agreeable to our request (we had originally thought to do this surreptitiously--dad would have loved that!) and could not have been more accomodating.

Anyway, we went down to Norfolk today to install the plaque on the ship. The ship goes into drydock on Friday, so it is pretty much on schedule, I think. A lot of it is going to be open, btw, and you'll even be able to swim into the decompression chamber. (look for my dad's plaque, please!) I was also taken aback by the fee and by the shallow depth--apparently they are hoping to attract snorkelers as well--but she was a good ship and this is a good end for her.

I hope that the divers who visit the USS Kittiwake will pause and remember the crew who sailed her.

Sorrows,

What a beautiful way to pay tribute to your dad and to a man who served his country. We'll be there next April and will try to make it to the ship and we will pause and remember those who served on her.

DS

As someone who has done a lot of shore diving around the island, including several spots that are listed as "accessible only by boat" I thought the same thing. Using Google Earth, it appears that this is going to be sunk about 1/2 a mile off of Cemetery Beach. If that's accurate, it's twice as far out as other sites I've dove.

May have to bring a damn snorkel yet! :rofl3:

I did the same thing...Google Earth gave me 2300' from shore.

Since we don't travel without them, here's why we think of that as an easy cruise:

MonkeyDiveHawaii.jpg

All the best, James

I am courious to hear your thoughts, one dive operator is charging $100 USD for a 1 tank dive on the Kittiwake, does that sound resonable? If it were a two tank I would think it would be ok. I am just courious what you all think? A two tank would be amazing I would think.

A lot of thoughts are brought up by that price.

Here's one that is within the TOS: Highway Robbery.

As an aside, if I had to pay $100 for a single dive (no doubt with a severely limited bottom time), I'd expect it to include not only carrying my gear to and from the boat, but carrying me as well. ...And a 4-course lunch served with a towel over the arm on fine linen.

Wow - $100 for a single dive.

All the best, James

PS - I'll admit that when you break it down to a by-the-dive cost, a typical Aggressor trip is about $100 per dive; but, that includes breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (with a towel if you really want), Nitrox fills, and a private room that's always moored over the dive site.

who's charging $100 for a single? I would look around. That is a complete rip off!!!!

DiveTech, but I am hoping they lower the price as I am really looking forward to diving with them, but at $100.00 for a one tank dive is a little much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom