USS Kittiwake-Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont know if this is true or not. Rumor has been going around that the Coast Guard may not let the Kittiwake leave port as a vessel without power under tow during hurricane season. I really hope this is not true, we will be in Cayman a few after the scheduled sink date. I dont want to build up my hopes to much for diving a new wreck, a lot can happen between now and then but I have my fingers crossed...

Weather permitting the official sinking date is the 27th July 2010 and it should be open for divers from the 29th July.

July issue of Sport Diver magazine has a short article on page 12 that states viewing and blessing on July 4, sinking on July 5, diving on July 7.

I'll be on Little Cayman July 3-10 but only passing through GCM, no chance for me, whether these dates are correct or not.

Regardless, 251 foot, 5 deck, USN submarine rescue ship sounds like a fun dive, hope to have the opportunity someday, maybe after it has some growth and fish population.

Good diving, Craig

Is the ship docked somewhere in Grand Cayman right now? I'll be down in just over a week and wouldn't mind getting a peek at her before she sinks. Might make a more interesting dive someday.

July issue of Sport Diver magazine has a short article on page 12 that states viewing and blessing on July 4, sinking on July 5, diving on July 7.

I'll be on Little Cayman July 3-10 but only passing through GCM, no chance for me, whether these dates are correct or not.

Regardless, 251 foot, 5 deck, USN submarine rescue ship sounds like a fun dive, hope to have the opportunity someday, maybe after it has some growth and fish population.

Good diving, Craig

Hoping this article in Sport Diver is correct. I will be on the Brac from July 8-12 and on Grand from the 12th to the 17th. If so, I will be diving this wreck. Does anyone know what dive ops. might be going out to the Kittiwake?

Weather permitting the official sinking date is the 27th July 2010 and it should be open for divers from the 29th July.

Cool. Sounds like a trip is in order. :cool2:

All dive ops that cover the west side of Grand Cayman will undoubtably dive this wreck. That is pretty much every operation in Grand Cayman except Ocean Frontiers in East End. Tortuga Divers in East End is a part of Red Sail sports and they would simply book guests on a Red Sail boat based out of Seven Mile Beach and have you drive to the other side of the island. Maybe OF will come up with some way to offer this dive too.

The Kittiwake is not yet in Cayman. These things always take longer than expected.

Drew, I have only dove on GC once in the last five years and that was on the northside with Indigo. We had a great time, great dives and Indigo is a great operation. Who would you recommend, if the Kittiwake is sunk in time, to dive with? I like smaller ops. and have no problem paying extra for that service.

I have been doing all my Cayman diving on Little and the Brac. I'll be diving on the Brac July 9, 10, 11 already with a buddy so the diving of the Kittiwake would be an added bonus.

You'll need to hang around for a least a couple of weeks. It seems as though Sport Diver has got it wrong. The official sinking date is the 27th July. Dedication ceremonies and topside tours on the 26th July. First "tourist" divers will be on the morning of the 29th July. You can buy a spot on the first dive at auction on the 24th if you like!
After 11am on the 29th the wreck will be open to regular boat dives.
Hurricanes permitting!!

I read somewhere that they are charging divers per day $10 to dive the wreck, is this true and if so how will they collect these fees?

Back
Top Bottom