USS Indra - Great White 9/23 Discovery Diving - Capt. Leroy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DukeAMO, it has been my experience that sharks eat wherever they are when they feel like eating. Seen sandtigers, sandbars and nurse sharks use parts of the reef/wreck to trap fleeing fish for dinner, and also hammerheads and oceanic whitetips feeding on the surface. Though my experience would be anecdotal I guess I would venture feeding is opportunistic and water column space is chance.
Of course, that said, I wouldn't swim around a seal colony top or bottom!
Mike

Four straight days of going back and forth on the Indra with University students but no white sharks. Did see the occasional sand tiger shark and lots of sheepshead. Visibility has been in the range of 40' for the last four days. Nice.
Mike

What was the water temperature like Mike? I was hoping that the storm has not messed up the vis.

63-64 pretty much top to bottom. The storm actually helped inshore. The Naeco and Papoose I heard had only twenty plus or minus. Indra was a great wreck for the last few days and I suspect will be for a few more until this front moves in. Water has a blue tint. You definitely should go if you can!
Mike

The Naeco Saturday had 20-25', it would have been better if the sun could reach the bottom cause it was a little dark. The upside is it was FULL of life. Big sandtigers, a couple of large turtles, AJ's everywhere and of course very large grouper. The Papoose was about the same on Sunday, and the Spar had 30-35'. My divers got a treat by getting buzzed on the hangline by porpoises at the Papoose. There must have been 50 or so playing on the surface around the boat. I didn't dive Sunday, but the report on the Spar was that it was covered up in Sandtigers. They said "hundreds".

Sounds alot better than down here. Sat out north of FPT we had about 10ft with a fine layer of silt on the bottom, ripping 2knt current up top. Stopped on a ledge about 25mi off and worse vis, no current. Sun same area off FPT, vis was worse than Sat. Not much curent though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom