Using SMB For Backup Flotation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to dive the hydro this way..., dbl AL80's, al plate, 3mm wetsuit, and a 40 of 50%; neutral at the end.... and if at the beginning of the dive, well within the margin to swim up...

Now, Tim. Neutral at the end of a dive (1/3 remaining) and a balanced rig are two different things. What you estimate your negative to be at the beginning of the dive. I'm guessing:

Tanks x2 ............... -4
Manifold ................ -4
Tank Bands ........... -2
AL BP ................... -2
AL40 .................... -3
Can Light .............. -2
Jets ..................... -1
Misc gear .............. -1
3mm ws (170fsw) ... +1

Total .................... -18

Under stress, I'd love to see you swim up 18 pounds off the bottom and hold stops. For anyone with a high lean muscle mass to fat ratio, it gets even worse. And, you'd better hope you don't experience a leg cramp, because you can't stop kicking. :eyebrow:

In this case, it is not a balanced rig. If it was less than 8-10 lbs, I'd give you that. I guess 'balanced' rig is subjective, but at this depth, the 3mm gives no help. Now, on a shallow recreational dive with a single tank and standard fundies gear, absolutely it's more than likely balanced and swimable. If not, there is something wrong with the choice of gear.

This is why the conversation was started in the first place. There are dives where 'balanced' isn't possible, and the need for redundant bouyancy is a neccessity. In that case, what are the preferred options? Dual bladder wing, drysuit, and LB's all make good solutions, some better than others. The LB being the least desirable but still doable and cheapest solution. And it answers the original poster's question.

I'm going to go have a coffee while he figures out how to balance a rig to neutral when diving AL doubles with a 3mm wetsuit (drysuit not required) on a dive requiring 160 cf of gas and at least one decompression bottle. No one stated that this should be done without a backup bouyancy device, but his explanation, if he can come up with one, is going to be interesting.

Faulty premise - a drysuit is ALWAYS required...

RJP.jpg

:eyebrow:

This past weekend I did four dives with my "standard" kit: double 119's, an al80 and an al40. For bouyancy I had an evolve 60 wing, a drysuit, a halcyon 60lb liftbag, and a halcyon Super Big Alert Marker (52lbs lift.) I was also carrying a pathfinder reel and defender finger spool. As this is my "standard" configuration for deep OW dives, I can't see a reason to "ride the bag" when what appears - IN MY OPINION - to be obviously superior method is available.

Again, it's hard for me to deal in hypothetical situations where the supposition is that the diver is inadequately or innapropriately configured for the dive at hand. I guess if I DID get into a situation where for some reason I had ignored my better judgement and my training and decided to dive with my gear configured in a fashion inconsistent with the dive I would grasp at whatever straws were available to me. Though I'm still not sure I would actually ATTACH those straws to my rig.

No, mempilot quoted one of your posts after mine and I couldn't find it. I thought you blocked me!! Anyway, glad that's not the case. I'd hate to lose friends over arguing about lift bag techniques :D

Well actually, he's attributed a handful of quotes to me that aren't mine so that might explain why you couldn't find them...

:D

No Eric, double AL 80s and an AL 40 stage are considered a balanced rig and acceptable for (light) technical diving in a wetsuit.

Did you miss the part where Tim said he was neutral at the end of the dive?? The only weight we'd be swimming up is the weight of the gas and wetsuit compression swing (forget all those other numbers). If someone can't swim that up, they need to get a tee time.

OK genius. If you say so. :shakehead:

Explain to me how you balance a set of AL doubles into a neutral rig. Are you saying you would only dive doubles with a drysuit, even in 85 deg water?

Yes

(Funny - I needed to add this parenthetical bit because the answer to the question is so simple it's actually too short to meet the "minimum number of characters" for post length.)

-18 assumes the diver needed no weight to begin with... In addition, the AL40, and can light are ditchable.

From TDL..., Empty, Full figures.
AL40 - +2.2, -0.8
AL80 - +4.4, -1.4

Tanks x2 ............... -3
Manifold ................ -2
Tank Bands ........... -1
AL BP ................... -2
AL40 .................... -1
Can Light .............. -2
Jets ..................... -1
Misc gear .............. -1
3mm ws (170fsw) ... +1
Total .................... -12

Ditch the AL40 and light, now your near -9, before taking into consideration the 3-9 lbs a typical diver might need.... minus the weight of any gas consumed during your 'bounce'...

Or gosh, complete the dive as planned, breathing down the tank, then swim up closer to neutral.... of course this only works when you have a hard bottom underneath, not your 6K foot laurenthian abyss example... however then, I'd also say, swimming to the wall and climbing up is an option as well....

Personally Diving a balanced rig, swimming up, or shooting the bag are the preferred solutions if wet. Drysuit preferred if in colder or significantly deeper waters.

7mm wetsuits and -12 lb HP100 singles are a recipe for disaster. ebay them off to someone who has that much or more weight to take off their belt to begin with to get neutral.

Faulty premise - a drysuit is ALWAYS required...

Are you related to ScubaDadMiami...? :shocked2:

Crazy bugger drags his drysuit out in Miami in the summer!

Are you related to ScubaDadMiami...? :shocked2:

Crazy bugger drags his drysuit out in Miami in the summer!

My DUI 30/30 "tropical" drysuit has been to Bonaire, Caymans, Hawaii, Curacao, West Palm Beach, etc. Hell, the only time I wear a wetsuit is in a heated pool with students!

Well actually, he's attributed a handful of quotes to me that aren't mine so that might explain why you couldn't find them...

:D

I attributed no quotes to you that weren't direct quotes from your posts. I suggest you provide an example of where I did so. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom