Using back mount doubles as single tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishdip

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So any reason I could not use doubles as if they are individual tanks IE no manifold?

Independent doubles have neither the pros of manifolded doubles (no regulator switching, access to all gas via the manifold, etc.) nor the pros of sidemount (valves where you can see and easily manipulate them). I also have not personally seen or heard of any widespread manifold failures to make me think they are inherently more failure-prone than diving without a manifold. The pros/cons just don't line up for me - either dive manifolded doubles or dive sidemount if you want independent tanks.

There is one simple advantage: you can assemble a twin-tank setup "on the spot" by two single tanks.
Good in places where no "real" twin tank (or large single tanks) are available.

I also have not personally seen or heard of any widespread manifold failures to make me think they are inherently more failure-prone than diving without a manifold. The pros/cons just don't line up for me - either dive manifolded doubles or dive sidemount if you want independent tanks.
There's actually been a push by some to completely do away with the isolator valve because in a lot of OOG situations the diver has been found with one tank still with gas. They either rolled it the wrong way or forgot or whatever.

That's always in the back of my mind when I splash. Always check my isolator

I’ve seen the term “independent doubles” used to describe this configuration.
We use to call those twins. If they are connected, they are doubles.

There's actually been a push by some to completely do away with the isolator valve because in a lot of OOG situations the diver has been found with one tank still with gas. They either rolled it the wrong way or forgot or whatever.

That's always in the back of my mind when I splash. Always check my isolator
My twin tank (and that of my wife) are manifolded, but they do not have an isolator exactly for this reason. I always want to be sure that both regs have access to all of my gas.
However, these Aralu twin tanks have a spring-loaded reserve, which ensures that, even after a catastrophic failure (like an O-ring extrusion), and after closing the affected valve, you can pull the reserve and retrieve a substantial amount of air.
Aralu.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom